Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Air Compressor Usage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2020, 12:46 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Air Compressor Usage

I was looking to buy an air compressor for quite a while, so I did. It just arrived.

I've seen plenty of people just wash their rig down with a hose and use the air compressor and dry every drop of water off in minutes, so I decided to get one because my TRX4 gets muddied almost every time I take it out, and it's a pain to completely clean the car.

If I use an air compressor, I should just be able to hose it down and dry it off right?, or will it still miss some spots like behind the wheel.
I have all waterproof electronics, I've ran them submerged in water before fine.

How do you guys use your air compressors, and do you have any tips?

Thanks!
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2020, 05:41 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Air Compressor Usage

Do not get too happy with pressure, what compressor?
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

That's how I clean mine too. I spray mine off with a hose then use air to blow it dry, then I'll squirt some silicone spray on all exposed moving parts like driveshafts, chubs, exposed bearings. Avoid focusing pressurized water/air directly on areas with an exposed bearing when possible. Compressed air can blow the mud/grit past the rubber shields. I've resorted to all stainless bearings. It helps but they still need an ultrasonic cleaning and re greasing periodically.

I almost always remove the wheels from the axles as I get lots of grass that wraps around the hubs...they usually look clean until I pop the wheel off...

I'd avoid the small pancake compressors that are used with various nail guns. Something with a larger air storage tank is easier to use with an air nozzle that's constantly blowing air.
vinnieb729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I’m using a Porter cable pancake 90psi, I’m fine with the low amount of air storage, as long as it works I’m fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnieb729 View Post
That's how I clean mine too. I spray mine off with a hose then use air to blow it dry, then I'll squirt some silicone spray on all exposed moving parts like driveshafts, chubs, exposed bearings. Avoid focusing pressurized water/air directly on areas with an exposed bearing when possible. Compressed air can blow the mud/grit past the rubber shields. I've resorted to all stainless bearings. It helps but they still need an ultrasonic cleaning and re greasing periodically.

I almost always remove the wheels from the axles as I get lots of grass that wraps around the hubs...they usually look clean until I pop the wheel off...

I'd avoid the small pancake compressors that are used with various nail guns. Something with a larger air storage tank is easier to use with an air nozzle that's constantly blowing air.

Will silicone wd40 lubricant work? That’s the only silicone spray that I have. I’m using it on the axels and it works fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2020, 03:53 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I've used it without issue. I usually use whatever I find the cheapest. I'll give the entire truck a squirt and wipe it down too. Leaves everything nice and kind of a satin black without any oily residue. I'll use tooth brushes or some kind of brush like you'd apply shaving cream with to spread it around and get in nooks and crannies. You don't need a ton...no need for it to be dripping. This also seems to make the sticky mud rinse off easier without any staining.

The pancake will certainly work, you just need to give it a chance to catch up...at least the ones I've had.

On your front axles where they go into the C hub there's a decent sized hole that water likes to get in. best cure I've found so far is 2-3 small O-rings slipped over each axle shaft then slide it through the hole in the C hub. They'll sit tight to the hole helping to keep water out. I use cheap o-ring kits from Harbor Freight.

Last edited by vinnieb729; 04-18-2020 at 03:59 PM.
vinnieb729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #7

You can theoretically blow water and debris into your bearings and electronics if the pressure is too high.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:01 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Do not know about the pancake deals. Do they have a regulator? If not you can find them for 5 - 10 bucks. Control the pressure and extend cycle time.

"Show us your compressor" some one start that thread, sounds fascinating .
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Air Compressor Usage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Compressor Question. FLB Tools, and Procedures 21 01-12-2020 10:01 PM
Portable air compressor Donny939 Tools, and Procedures 18 04-06-2017 04:56 PM
Air Compressor Suggestions? Colby Tools, and Procedures 16 06-15-2013 08:54 AM
air compressor for airbrush brandontodd33 Paint and Body 2 06-02-2009 12:21 PM
What air compressor? robvbro81 Paint and Body 20 09-28-2007 02:24 PM