Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Beginner Driver kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Beginner Driver kit

what is a good driver kit that has the typical size drivers that are needed for any RC car.
i have some cheap odds and ends but no clue what sizes are needed for drivers.
champ198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Beginner Driver kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ198 View Post
what is a good driver kit that has the typical size drivers that are needed for any RC car.
i have some cheap odds and ends but no clue what sizes are needed for drivers.

This kit for sure is the best for beginners. It had everything you’ll need for a while, and if you have a drill with a chuck on it, you can use these in a drill.

There’s one just like this made by Dynamite RC, and it sucks! The first time I cranked tight, it broke the handle part and I couldn’t use it anymore.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...xoCImcQAvD_BwE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-12-2020 at 06:37 PM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:53 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Beginner Driver kit

Before buying anything, I'd suggest looking thru this thread: What hex drivers you using?

I'm not a fan of kits where you're paying money for flat-head and Phillips bits since most all of us have an array of Phillips drivers and bits already. And flat-head drivers are all but obsolete these days. I would recommend getting nut/ hex sizes that you know you'll need rather than a kit that may contain drivers or bits that you'll have no use for. Not sure what vehicle you have but again... look at the link I provided for some more insight.

Keep in mind that quality goes a long way in the tool world and if you're able to, then spend a little more on drivers that will last and that you feel will be comfortable to use. Crappy tools ( regarding quality as well as the way that they feel in your hand) can mean the difference between [even basic] tasks being performed more quickly/ easily as opposed to taking longer and giving you headaches. Also be advised that many brands out there have more expensive/ better quality offerings as well as low-end. Anyway.. pay a little more, get the sizes that you need, and you'll be set.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If you want satisfaction, buy the three piece Driver and hex nut sets made by MIP, yes sit down at that price, But most will tell you they are lifetime tools that have the best fit.
There are a few kits rolled together, all so so quality at best.

My LHS issues Horizon Hobby’s Dynamite set, replaceable blades, good fitting and lasting tips. I still have mine as a spare set.good quality, I’ve replaced all blades once in 4years, my 3 MIP and VP tips are still perfect

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:28 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
If you want satisfaction, buy the three piece Driver and hex nut sets made by MIP, yes sit down at that price, But most will tell you they are lifetime tools that have the best fit.
There are a few kits rolled together, all so so quality at best.

My LHS issues Horizon Hobby’s Dynamite set, replaceable blades, good fitting and lasting tips. I still have mine as a spare set.good quality, I’ve replaced all blades once in 4years, my 3 MIP and VP tips are still perfect

Hang up and Drive
Agreed! MIP for the win. I also have the red, machined Dynamite set with replaceable tips. The Dynamite's come with me to the track, crawler course, etc., the MIP's stay home.
Remember, you buy quality, you cry once. You don't, you cry twice.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I started with cheap tools and stripped many a screw with them. They'll get you started but they can also get you into trouble.

MIP makes great tools for sure, I upgraded to theirs a few years ago and they are excellent. They're so nicely machined the edges are sharp (in a good way, its precision!)

also if you want to use their tools in a cordless drill look at their speed tips, then you'll want a tool handle that'll accept 1/4" bits so you can use them in a drill and (manual) hand driver. Keep in mind when using a drill its best to hand tighten the final bit, dont trust your clutch to work on soft plastic.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-12-2020 at 08:18 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:56 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I agree with MIP for sure.

I bought these before I knew about MIP, and they work good. The Traxxas kit will get everything done, but like someone else said, you don’t really use a lot of those bits.

My setup I use daily:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-in...tc22778/p96692

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-as...sc1667/p200346

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-as...sc1666/p200345

Sometimes I’ll bust out the Traxxas set, but I’ve devoted it to the on-the-go workshop bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:24 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Theres a bunch of great options for allen drivers. Most common sizes are 1.5, 2, and 2.5mm. I use mostly Protek or O.S. Tool. Everyone raves about MIP, but I personally don't care for how they feel in my hands. I also have the 8 in 1 Associated set I bring on the trail. The bits aren't as tough as the Protek, MIP, or OS, but they are decent and its compact enough to carry around. It also has the basic standard sizes.

As far as 1/4" hex chuck style tips go there is no contest. The MIP speed tips are the best I've found and not much more money than most others. What's annoying is the MIP tips are too long to fit in the Associated handle.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Theres a bunch of great options for allen drivers. Most common sizes are 1.5, 2, and 2.5mm. I use mostly Protek or O.S. Tool. Everyone raves about MIP, but I personally don't care for how they feel in my hands. I also have the 8 in 1 Associated set I bring on the trail. The bits aren't as tough as the Protek, MIP, or OS, but they are decent and its compact enough to carry around. It also has the basic standard sizes.

As far as 1/4" hex chuck style tips go there is no contest. The MIP speed tips are the best I've found and not much more money than most others. What's annoying is the MIP tips are too long to fit in the Associated handle.
Same for me on the MIP drivers... some of my best quality tools but the handles are bulky and hard to turn quickly/ effortlessly. For certain jobs the handles are an asset but for others they cause me some fatigue. That's why my personal favorites are my aluminum Dynamite's and Hudy's. Knurled round aluminum handles. The Dynamite's are a little short but I like that they have a flat edge to keep them from rolling off the work bench. I also have been impressed recently with Serpent drivers ( also cylindrical alum handles with aggressive voids to fit tight in your hand).
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:21 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Same for me on the MIP drivers... some of my best quality tools but the handles are bulky and hard to turn quickly/ effortlessly. For certain jobs the handles are an asset but for others they cause me some fatigue. That's why my personal favorites are my aluminum Dynamite's and Hudy's. Knurled round aluminum handles. The Dynamite's are a little short but I like that they have a flat edge to keep them from rolling off the work bench. I also have been impressed recently with Serpent drivers ( also cylindrical alum handles with aggressive voids to fit tight in your hand).
I've been using my Dynamite drivers that I take with me out onto the trail or to the track here lately. I used them to build my TRX 4 sport kit, and now my wroncho that I'm building. They're actually easier to grip with your fingers and spin in your hand. They might be my new Mainstay drivers.
Although my MIP speed tips for my electric screwdriver will never leave

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:09 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Here’s my 2 cents, MIP speed bits are great, for the reasons mentioned above, so I won’t go into that,

But. ratcheting driver is nice to have, makes turning screws much quicker you’ll want the 1/4 inch tip screwdrivers for the MIP speed bits

Most of them are a little bulky, but it’s really handy to have a ratchet.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Beginner Driver kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small lightweight driver for DinkyRC universal kit? GTSLOW General Crawlers 0 08-02-2018 05:28 PM
Giveaway Week 2: The Next Team Driver 3 - Win a scale hardware kit and more! Locked Up General Crawlers 114 12-30-2014 12:13 PM
My new honcho kit...almost scale driver? Rebelspawn Axial SCX-10 3 04-03-2012 01:55 PM
mip hex driver or drill driver bits with racheting handle 507Eli Tools, and Procedures 2 12-17-2011 05:07 PM