Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Soldering, burnt rosin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 11:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Soldering, burnt rosin?

I was getting some practice soldering in before installing my new motor and ESC (which has tabs that need to be soldered on) because it had been a while since my last soldering job. After a bit, some kind of brown burnt sugar-like substance was forming, causing the 60/40 rosin core solder to get some kind of brownish stuff in it.

Is this burnt rosin? I don't recall this happening before, is this normal? and how do I get rid of it?
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2020, 10:44 AM   #2

Default Re: Soldering, burnt rosin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
I was getting some practice soldering in before installing my new motor and ESC (which has tabs that need to be soldered on) because it had been a while since my last soldering job. After a bit, some kind of brown burnt sugar-like substance was forming, causing the 60/40 rosin core solder to get some kind of brownish stuff in it.

Is this burnt rosin? I don't recall this happening before, is this normal? and how do I get rid of it?
Sounds like excess rosin and should clean off with some Isopropyl alcohol (IPA).
Richr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Cleaning the pieces to be soldered, and even the solder itself, with 90% isopropyl alcohol like Rich said will keep that brown substance from forming. Soldering is like painting and welding, prep is 80% of the finished result.

If not, it will scrub off easily after soldering with alcohol.

These acid brushes with a little more than half the bristles cut off at an angle with some scissors and dipped in alcohol work great. This is what we used in Navy circuit board repair school. Clean solder with a 1/8 of a paper towel square moistened with alcohol.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...UaAvYxEALw_wcB
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:05 PM   #4

That's just burnt flux residue. I would use a Rosin Low Activation flux core solder if your surfaces are dirty/oxidized. If your surfaces are relatively clean, just use a no clean flux core solder - that's what I use. AIM and Kester are good brands. Either can be cleaned with IPA (I use 99.8% IPA at work).
FloridaST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Cleaning the pieces to be soldered, and even the solder itself, with 90% isopropyl alcohol like Rich said will keep that brown substance from forming. Soldering is like painting and welding, prep is 80% of the finished result.

If not, it will scrub off easily after soldering with alcohol.

These acid brushes with a little more than half the bristles cut off at an angle with some scissors and dipped in alcohol work great. This is what we used in Navy circuit board repair school. Clean solder with a 1/8 of a paper towel square moistened with alcohol.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...UaAvYxEALw_wcB
You clean the solder and pieces to be soldered with alcohol before doing anything?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #6

I have learned to live with it
bluecusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You clean the solder and pieces to be soldered with alcohol before doing anything?
Prefaced by saying I was trained to Navy standards so maybe a tad unnecessarily anal, prep goes a long ways toward good solder flow and adhesion. Oxidation forms almost immediately on a soldering tip and solder and impedes both. Is it necessary? No, it shouldn't be, and it likely isn't as often as you and I solder. Brand new solder roll, or left to sit for 4, 6 months, a year, yeah, swiping the solder exposed on the roll while idle with an alcohol dampened paper towel is probably needed. And I always clean anything to be soldered with the modified acid brush lightly soaked with alcohol.

I hate flux, never use it, haven't since 2M school where it was taboo. If you're using good 63/37 solder of an appropriate gauge (and not the flux core crap), a properly tinned clean, dry and thermally shocked tip and cooking at the correct heat it's completely unnecessary and only makes a mess that you have to clean up after cool down to get rid of the sticky brown corrosion magnet it leaves behind.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Prefaced by saying I was trained to Navy standards so maybe a tad unnecessarily anal, prep goes a long ways toward good solder flow and adhesion. Oxidation forms almost immediately on a soldering tip and solder and impedes both. Is it necessary? No, it shouldn't be, and it likely isn't as often as you and I solder. Brand new solder roll, or left to sit for 4, 6 months, a year, yeah, swiping the solder exposed on the roll while idle with an alcohol dampened paper towel is probably needed. And I always clean anything to be soldered with the modified acid brush lightly soaked with alcohol.

I hate flux, never use it, haven't since 2M school where it was taboo. If you're using good 63/37 solder of an appropriate gauge (and not the flux core crap), a properly tinned clean, dry and thermally shocked tip and cooking at the correct heat it's completely unnecessary and only makes a mess that you have to clean up after cool down to get rid of the sticky brown corrosion magnet it leaves behind.
I see. Now I know! Thanks.

I agree on the flux. I rarely use it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Soldering, burnt rosin? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soldering Temp for 60/40 Rosin Core dutch13k Electronics 6 05-03-2014 11:44 AM
ae-2 burnt up SNOWYOTA Electronics 1 04-19-2013 12:01 PM
Burning through soldering tips? And other soldering questions losikid Electronics 14 12-16-2010 10:04 AM
What soldering iron for battery soldering? Flatty Electronics 1 06-23-2008 07:35 AM