Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: 3D modelling accessories, what software?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: 3D modelling accessories, what software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Learned solidworks for a semester and i've found solidworks to be out of date. This is only a pain for subtractive manufacturing, but if you need run toolpaths and setups you have to transfer to fusion360 anyway. Fusion360, Autocad is great, and so is onshape. You can do everything, including generative design with organic shapes, etc on fusion. Dont try to learn all three at the same time. I've only used fusion and onshape to design parts and then printed them. Both work great for that.
I don't mean to sound rude or anything but you're doing it wrong if you're looking a for an all-in-one software suite.

In a professional/full-time environment you need dedicated CAD software and dedicated CAM software. Once you've spent time in real CAM software you'll understand why. The SW CAM add-on isn't great and the fusion one is terrible, but spend some time GibbsCAM or MasterCAM and you'll see what I mean.

Fusion is great at the hobbyist level but as soon as you try to get more complex or start doing more, it falls apart pretty quickly.

In my last role I had to set-up remote production line cnc work for about 275 different parts that were being made on a 2 different machines (one Haas and one CR Onsrud) one of which I couldn't touch (it was in NC and I'm in western Canada) and was being run an operator I'd never meet. Fusion would have been a disaster for this but GibbsCAM punched it it all out no problem.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2020, 11:56 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
My Prusa i3 MK3S is suppose to ship in 3-4 weeks so I've been testing the free 3D software. So far I've tried Tinkercad and FreeCAD. I found both a little frustrating and I've been reading/watching the Onshape tutorials and I'm liking what I see so will be trying that next. I have experience with AutoCADD and I know some of my frustration is based on not grasping the differences between the 2D and 3D processes. I checked out Fusion360 and would be glad to test it as well but haven't figured out, as a hobbyist, how to get the free version.
Just thought I would up-date everyone on my test of Onshape. I found Onshape way easier to use than Tinkercad and FreeCAD. I'm sure the experience (frustration) using the other 3D software I tried helped as I did have some knowledge of 3D software when I started Onshape. I had one item I spent days trying to create and never was able to complete it. So I figured, what the heck, and it was the first thing I attempted with Onshape. It took a while as I had a lot to learn about Onshape as I worked on it and I completed it in about 6 hours, which I figured wasn't bad. I've since done a couple of other simpler things I did with the other software but in way less time and I think one came out better than the original one I did.

Bottom line, I still have a lot to learn about Onshape and for now that's what I'll be using. Much happier and less stressed now I can see some positive results. I'm impatiently waiting for my Prusa to arrive. Haven't been notified it's shipped yet, maybe this week.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:24 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

Same, I meant to update the group as well! I have dived into Oneshape and really like it. I am going through tutorials and its really making sense. I have created 4-5 simple parts so far. I am very impressed how well it works. I have a long way to go but I am confident its the right tool for me. Thanks!
bigcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
Just thought I would up-date everyone on my test of Onshape. I found Onshape way easier to use than Tinkercad and FreeCAD. I'm sure the experience (frustration) using the other 3D software I tried helped as I did have some knowledge of 3D software when I started Onshape. I had one item I spent days trying to create and never was able to complete it. So I figured, what the heck, and it was the first thing I attempted with Onshape. It took a while as I had a lot to learn about Onshape as I worked on it and I completed it in about 6 hours, which I figured wasn't bad. I've since done a couple of other simpler things I did with the other software but in way less time and I think one came out better than the original one I did.

Bottom line, I still have a lot to learn about Onshape and for now that's what I'll be using. Much happier and less stressed now I can see some positive results. I'm impatiently waiting for my Prusa to arrive. Haven't been notified it's shipped yet, maybe this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanoe View Post
Same, I meant to update the group as well! I have dived into Oneshape and really like it. I am going through tutorials and its really making sense. I have created 4-5 simple parts so far. I am very impressed how well it works. I have a long way to go but I am confident its the right tool for me. Thanks!

Glad to hear you guys are liking it so far!
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #25
RCC Addict

If you have an iPad and an Apple Pencil check out Shapr3D. It's powered by Siemens Parasolid, the 3D engine behind Solidworks. I've been playing with it for a little bit and quite like it. Takes a bit of getting used to drawing with the pencil but there are lots of online tutorials.

Last edited by Tossedman; 08-19-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

Onshape has an iOS app too. I havent tried it though.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

Just want to give a shout out to Cad Video Tutorials. He has done a couple dozen OnShape tutorials. I am eating them up like candy, I have learned so much! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrK...Q6LK_d3aKrVY4A
Old 09-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #28

I don't remember if there's a better thread for this, but if you use Fusion360, make sure you grab your files before AutoCAD possibly hijacks them.

https://hackaday.com/2020/09/16/auto...license-terms/
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:49 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

hmmm thanks for the heads up Jato!

Looks like we have until Jan 1st 2021 to get our files downloaded from Fusion 360. Personally I never liked the whole cloud storage thing so I dont mind storing them locally. If you wait too long you'll have to pay for a license to get your files (so it seems at least).

EDIT: does anyone know how to download all files in bulk by chance? I'm hoping I wont have to do them 1 by 1

EDIT 2 looks like there isnt a download all option.

Now i'm wondering what format to download out of all of the options, I looked into it and decided F3D but thats not on the list!

EDIT 3: I found that exporting from the desktop app does have a F3D file unlike using the browser interface, this will have the timeline and all of the bodies and sketches from the original though when opening these the name wont pop up it will be called "untitled 1".
Open the file up in 360 then select export from the file drop down menu up top.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 09-17-2020 at 07:31 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I'd recommend exporting STEP files of all of your models as well so you have a generic solid body file. F3D is native to Fusion and likely won't open in other software. STEP is pretty universal and if you're lucky you'll still be able to extract a feature tree pending the program you use to open it.

Just a precaution in case you move away from Fusion at some point.

I don't have much to add other than what's already been said. I use SolidWorks all day every day at my 9-5 job. I own a commercial license of Fusion for my home business. Both have their pros and cons, but Fusion works pretty well for my 3D printing needs. I use Cura as my slicer (CAM).
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Bray_D

Makers Muse just posted a video going over these fusion 360 changes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlnEThQ4HR8&t=329s
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:49 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Default 3D modelling accessories, what software?

I know a lot of people use Fusion360, but I personally don’t like it. I have a lot more experience with Sketchup, it’s free and the interface is a lot more simple to me. I haven’t had a problem with it so far. just install a plug-in called Export STL and you can export it, then plop it into Cura or whatever slicer you use. Also, this crap going on on with Fusion, I feel more comfortable on Sketchup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:22 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

As there were a few people using and liking Onshape in this thread, thought I would try and find out if anyone had any idea what has happened with Onshape over the last 24 hours. I can't log in and drilling down one layer from the home page works but the next levels are offline. Can't access the forum or support to see if there is any info on what's going on.

Appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me or are we all locked out at the moment?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: After about 48 hours, by my estimate, Onshape is back online.

Last edited by nightcrawler48; 06-20-2021 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Onshape Update
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote

3D modelling accessories, what software? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/6th Scale Military Modelling Hints and Tips DonsATV Large Scale Rigs 2 05-27-2009 06:13 PM
machining software Wicked_Jester Tools, and Procedures 6 03-29-2009 04:18 PM
Need serious software help. JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 3 01-16-2005 04:33 PM