Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: DIY Servo Saver, Shock Mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default DIY Servo Saver, Shock Mod

Posting this here so others looking into doing the same can follow, I'm u4 racing and probably what others would call bashing

I found one post here on the forum where someone was using an internal spring shock from hot racing as a drag link and decided to look into it

Installing in an Axial Bomber, the standard drag length is ~110mm, but by flipping the servo 180, a 90mm drag link will work

Based on the specs of the "RC Lions" shock I ordered, they are 100mm fully extended, 72mm at full compression, which places the "plunger" at 86mm when it is halfway through the shock reservoir, allowing the most adjustably

After unscrewing the top and bottom caps of the reservoir, I simply removed one of the rubber washers, one of the plastic shoulder flanges and the spring, and instead put some air line tubing on both sides, it's just large enough to fit over the shaft, and just small enough to stay cylindrical inside the reservoir without folding.

Air line tubing=fish tank air line, usually silicone and thick wall. The stuff I bought just so happens to be drip line for hydroponics.

Screw it back together and install as a drag link.

First Impressions;

The most amount of play is actually in the ball end links, silicone tubing might be too soft, I may try rubber fuel hose

Other than that I think it's looks great, maybe a little more spring at the moment than a Kimbrough 124

The plunger isn't actually centered at the moment, the air line is probably 3:1 as far as length goes, I planned on using a longer endlink than the one provided but the shaft is smaller than any endlink I have at the moment.

Here's a video of my pushing the tires, servo is on and centered

https://youtu.be/_ruXHGrmREo
NKlamerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: DIY Servo Saver, Shock Mod

Flip it around so the big side is closer to the servo so it looks like a hydraulic ram use a round servo horn and paint it silver to look like a break roter kinda like a rockwell axle then glue some wires on the shock and to the servo to look like hydraulic lines

Last edited by ferp420; 09-30-2020 at 09:28 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
Flip it around so the big side is closer to the servo so it looks like a hydraulic ram use a round servo horn and paint it silver to look like a break roter kinda like a rockwell axle then glue some wires on the shock and to the servo to look like hydraulic lines

I may try that in my next run, thanks for the tips!
Old 10-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I ran this and a Kimbrough 124 while climbing up all the stairs, logs, and rocks around the house

I think the shock has less "give", and definetly holds center better.

The Kimbrough provides a little more give, but also has a lot of play at center.

DIY Servo Saver, Shock Mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering servo upgrade and shock mod SCX24 waqr Micro Scale Rigs 6 01-10-2020 08:58 AM
DIY clocking mod winnerone23 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 22 08-23-2017 02:42 PM
Axial Yeti Servo Saver Mod mattehmer01 Axial Yeti 17 10-20-2015 01:04 PM
Servo Saver Bearing Mod Sapes Axial Yeti 10 07-23-2015 02:00 PM
Help with DIY 4 link mod DinehCaveman Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 06-12-2014 12:20 AM