Notices

Thread: Print not sticking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2020, 11:55 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Print not sticking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
What do you mean by fail? Does it even attempt to make the hole or does it seem like the holes aren’t in the g code?

Yes, it attempts them, but it never sticks. Never. No matter what Gcode, what placement on the bed, print speed, slower layers, etc. it’s very strange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2020, 01:31 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Print not sticking

Have you dried the filament? Is it making a popping sound while printing ? You in HI right, lots of humidity.

In the oven at 150F for 15 min from what i remember. I dont dry mine anymore because I keep it in a pelican airtight case with a plug in dehumidifier. Mine holds 16 spools and the dryer thing works like a champ, sold on Amazon

Last edited by Gula; 10-25-2020 at 01:55 AM.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Have you dried the filament? Is it making a popping sound while printing ? You in HI right, lots of humidity.

In the oven at 150F for 15 min from what i remember. I dont dry mine anymore because I keep it in a pelican airtight case with a plug in dehumidifier. Mine holds 16 spools and the dryer thing works like a champ, sold on Amazon

Very humid.

I’ll definitely check the airtight case out

It makes a popping sound, but I think it’s the drive gear(bronze gear where the filament feeds into the tube) popping. I’ll try drying it and see if that helps at all.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Capricorn tube just showed up, about to install.

I pulled the factory Bowden tube out of the coupler that goes on the extruder, and it was full of white stringy stuff. Have no idea what it was, since I have black filament.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Tomorrow I will be drying the filament in the oven. I have heard from a few sources that around 150-180F for 1-2 hours. Does that sound about right?

Today I spent my time making a dry box so no more filament full of moisture. Threw in 4 silica packs.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:12 PM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Check and make sure your frame is square. Loosen the screws on the bottom sides, press down on the top cross bar while the printer is on a solid flat surface. Re-tighten the screws. Repeat for the screws for the uprights of the frame. Try checking that the Z axis is square with the uprights. The way that one corner is tightened down seems like something is off. This will also affect you bed level.
Also, bump up your nozzle temp. Like stated earlier, I print at between 210-215* on PLA. Try increasing the number of lines for your skirt to 3 or 4. This will give you a good indication of how the print is going to stick before the actual print starts. You can go into "tune" and try adjusting the Z axis in "baby steps" up or down to fine tune nozzle height.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:15 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
Check and make sure your frame is square. Loosen the screws on the bottom sides, press down on the top cross bar while the printer is on a solid flat surface. Re-tighten the screws. Repeat for the screws for the uprights of the frame. Try checking that the Z axis is square with the uprights. The way that one corner is tightened down seems like something is off. This will also affect you bed level.
Also, bump up your nozzle temp. Like stated earlier, I print at between 210-215* on PLA. Try increasing the number of lines for your skirt to 3 or 4. This will give you a good indication of how the print is going to stick before the actual print starts. You can go into "tune" and try adjusting the Z axis in "baby steps" up or down to fine tune nozzle height.

Than you for the tips, it’s greatly appreciated. I am going to try this out tomorrow while my PLA is in the oven to get the moisture out.

I’ve been printing at 200C, I’ll definitely try a test at 210C and 215C also.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Well, I was going to dry my filament I’m the oven tonight, but the oven doesn’t go below 76°C People say it start to fuse together above 40°C so I don’t want to take that chance.

I guess I will have to leave it in some Silica packs for a few days in a dry box

Old 11-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Just ordered a Food dehydrator that goes from 35C-70C. That’ll be perfect to drying filament. It’s big enough to where I can stack two spools high as well. It’ll be here next week, so I can finally start printing soon.

Then, I’ll be printing straight out of my dry box, so I shouldn’t have any more issues with wet filament.

I may even start playing with PETG while I wait because I plan to do quite a few prints like bumpers that need to be strong.

It’s coming together

Old 11-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Dehydrator just showed up, time to use it!

I’ll have an update tonight, if not tomorrow for sure.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:11 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Went ahead and threw both spools in, going to leave them in there for 2-3hrs.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-19-2020 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-21-2020, 02:13 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Sorry guys, I got confused between my “3D Printing help” thread I did for asking about the Ender 3 and this one where I actually discussed the problems from the start. I need to delete that other one lol.

Had them in for about 3-4hrs today in the dehydrator. Going to print tomorrow and hopefully no issues!

Old 12-04-2020, 11:10 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

update just in case anyone stumbles across this thread and is having the same problems.

To make a long story short, my hot end was backed up and the filament was soaked(I figured it was). I had just cleaned my hot end, so I automatically ruled that out like an idiot and didn’t check it until last minute.

Hope this thread will help anyone in the future!

Print not sticking - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
throttle sticking phhh Rally 10 02-02-2014 10:32 AM
It was not me... That''s my story and I am sticking to it! The Cow Chit Chat 4 12-23-2010 11:36 PM
Sticking Brush losikid Electronics 16 05-03-2010 08:43 PM
Servo Sticking J71 Newbie General 3 03-07-2009 11:38 PM
sticking pictures deadcell Paint and Body 2 03-06-2007 09:03 PM