RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   Print not sticking (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/621463-print-not-sticking.html)

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-12-2020 12:42 PM

Print not sticking

Hey guys, i am having a problem with my Ender 3. When it starts printing, the filament just balls up next to the nozzle. Any help? I can post my Cura settings, if anybody could tell me if I did something wrong.

Thanks in Advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikemcE 10-12-2020 01:24 PM

Re: Print not sticking

First off is making sure it’s level.... yup level. It’s really important to have it perfectly level. Then extruder and bed temps. But make sure it’s level!!!

Hang up and Drive

Bray D 10-12-2020 02:09 PM

I can only tell you what I do with my setup. Ender 3 V2 with the Carborundum glass build plate. Black Hatchbox PLA.

Level bed with a sheet of paper and clean with alcohol. I print my first layer at 0.20mm height, 200C, with 120% flow. Glass bed is at 60C.

I always preheat my nozzle and bed before printing also just to make sure temps have normalized. No adhesion issues with PLA printing right onto the bed.

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-12-2020 02:11 PM

Print not sticking

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bray D (Post 6048340)
I can only tell you what I do with my setup. Ender 3 V2 with the Carborundum glass build plate. Black Hatchbox PLA.

Level bed with a sheet of paper and clean with alcohol. I print my first layer at 0.20mm height, 200C, with 120% flow. Glass bed is at 60C.

I always preheat my nozzle and bed before printing also just to make sure temps have normalized. No adhesion issues with PLA printing right onto the bed.

I have my extruded at 200c and my bed at 70c. I’m using the factory hard build plate, non magnetic. I preheat also as well. I’m using Hatchbox black PLA as well. Only difference with me is my flow is 100% all the time.

Bray D 10-12-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie (Post 6048341)
I have my extruded at 200c and my bed at 70c. I’m using the factory hard build plate, non magnetic. I preheat also as well. I’m using Hatchbox black PLA as well. Only difference with me is my flow is 100% all the time.

Mine would stick at 100%, but it wasn't giving me a solid first layer. If I did an initial layer test, it would split into 'strings' upon removal.

Bumping my flow to 120 gave me a solid sheet for my first layer. That extra squish may be all you need to get it to stick.

I think we have different build plates, but mine has to be super clean. I clean it with an alcohol wipe before every print.

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-12-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bray D (Post 6048342)
Mine would stick at 100%, but it wasn't giving me a solid first layer. If I did an initial layer test, it would split into 'strings' upon removal.

Bumping my flow to 120 gave me a solid sheet for my first layer. That extra squish may be all you need to get it to stick.

I think we have different build plates, but mine has to be super clean. I clean it with an alcohol wipe before every print.

My plate is pretty nasty, I don’t think alcohol will clean these off.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...d23eb72913.jpg

I’ll try 120% soon and give an update

HumboldtEF 10-12-2020 02:35 PM

I'm not sure what its called for creality but the first layer calibration was crucial for me getting print to stick.

EDIT: after seeing those pictures I'm wondering has the extruder dug into the build plate? if so the extruder is set too low.

Bray D 10-12-2020 02:42 PM

Agreed. Something is very wrong there.

Mine just has a light haze, but is otherwise perfectly clean. I've printed 1 full spool on it. The perimeter skirt gives you a good idea of what my first layer looks like since it's only 1 layer thick.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...5f&oe=5F907B9B

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-12-2020 02:48 PM

It’s not digging into the build plate. The white filament is the generic PLA that came with the printer, it’s the worst part. Around half of that stuff on the plate, I could easily pull off, but the others I couldn’t.

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-12-2020 02:59 PM

I have my layer height at .2mm if that changes anything. I just left it where it was.

Bray D 10-12-2020 03:08 PM

Nope, that's the same layer height as mine.

mikemcE 10-12-2020 03:16 PM

Print not sticking

If it stays at 200 it should stick. If it’s bouncing, you need to do a PID tune
I normally print PLA at 210-215, bed at 70.
Looks like you have plenty of filament, as it’s spaghetti.
Have you printed a temp tower? I use those for every roll of filament, diameter of filament also can vary, measure it first. These are the basics, cubes and benchys help your setup and tune.

Looking at your build plate, you will have issues leveling with all that crud, it will leave your nozzle too far away for proper squish.

I’ve printed on my monomaker (wanhao) using only blue tape directly on my metal bed. Never any glue or adhesive needed when it’s level.

Don’t overthink, try one thing at a time, I would start by bumping temp up and watch for the bouncing temperature, if so PID tune

Hang up and Drive

Tossedman 10-12-2020 03:18 PM

You can find good info here.

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-12-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 6048355)
If it stays at 200 it should stick. If it’s bouncing, you need to do a PID tune
I normally print PLA at 210-215, bed at 70.
Looks like you have plenty of filament, as it’s spaghetti.
Have you printed a temp tower? I use those for every roll of filament, diameter of filament also can vary, measure it first. These are the basics, cubes and benchys help your setup and tune.

Looking at your build plate, you will have issues leveling with all that crud, it will leave your nozzle too far away for proper squish.

I’ve printed on my monomaker (wanhao) using only blue tape directly on my metal bed. Never any glue or adhesive needed when it’s level.

Don’t overthink, try one thing at a time, I would start by bumping temp up and watch for the bouncing temperature, if so PID tune

Hang up and Drive

Thank you for the info Mike! I’ll try a temp tower after I’m done with my classes for the day. Also going to try 120% infill. Will it help anyone if I post a pic of my print/print settings?

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-12-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tossedman (Post 6048356)

Thank you sir! I’ll definitely read on this more!

mikemcE 10-12-2020 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tossedman (Post 6048356)

Good stuff!
As it shows, level....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...36cd31c513.jpg

Hang up and Drive

TITANIUM94010 10-12-2020 04:07 PM

Have you tried wiping the print bed with acetone? Sometimes when there's too much stuff on print plate it stops sticking, acetone will get rid of stuff better than alcohol.

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-12-2020 05:39 PM

Is the underside of my bed plate supposed to look like this?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8227aff9ae.jpg

mikemcE 10-12-2020 05:43 PM

Looks like the nozzle travel pattern.
No

Hang up and Drive

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-12-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 6048379)
Looks like the nozzle travel pattern.
No

Hang up and Drive

Should I get a new plate then?