And so it begins...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...1-22/100615066
Rockin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2020, 11:37 PM   #2

Default Re: Cordless Screwdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin140 View Post

Nice tool, but perhaps overkill for little trucks?

I use the big boy version on full size vehicles, but this cute little thing works great for the "toys".

Guaranteed it will go on sale soon also, I think I paid around $20 for mine a few years back.
Slow Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:48 PM   #3
RCC Addict

This is what I use.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-8...205926188-_-N&
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post

How do you like the inline version? I'm leaning towards Dewalt's pistol grip but haven't pulled the trigger yet. ... Get it?! Ahhahaha

The inline - appears to me - to be awkward to use vs the pistol grip. Tell me the pros/cons.

I need to get my hands on both and try 'em.
Rockin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Anything out there with torque adjustment clutch?
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I spent a lot of money for the cordless Dremel GO-01 driver. Had a clutch but even on the lowest setting it had way too much torque for plastic. Plus there were some other things that I didn't like such as the mechanism that in order to operate it you had to push down [rather hard]... no button to control the drive. So you had to push down hard to extract bolts as well as drive them in. The minimalist profile was nice... was able to get in tight places but for $40 it was a no-go.

After looking at a lot of other drivers ( most I felt were too much money, were overkill, or didn't have a clutch) I stumbled upon a cheap ( $14) Walmart Hyper-Tough driver ( 4vt lithium-ion) and let me tell you... I love this thing. On the down-side it is a bit bulky but it goes forever between charges, has an awesome clutch with very accurate +/- torque adjustments. It has an LED light which is a nice feature at this price ( not super bright but adequate for most situations where you need a little more light) and you can rotate the handle straight or angled. It also has a nice large ring so that you can easily/ quickly hang it up. The hex drive socket is magnetic too which may be obvious but maybe worth mentioning. I've been using this one now for probably 9+ months and no issues whatsoever. I also use it for other projects around the home when I don't want to mess with my larger/ heavier/ bulkier corded and cordless drills/ drivers. For the money... this Hyper Tough is well worth it and aside from being a tad bulky and not having a brighter light, is otherwise perfect for RC plastics and lighter-duty jobs. BTW, part # is AQ70008G.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have had much success with this.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/muchmor...rmmped/p742255
It has a very low torque clutch. You have to manually twist it to loosen some screws. Then zip the screw out electrically.
This has been a great gift to myself, especially when it comes time to change the foams.

Edit: I should also point out. I purchased a full set of bits. After a few tire unmounts and remounts trying to tune the foam, the 1.5mm showed wear. It even slipped once.
I immediately stopped using that bit and ordered a 10 pack of that size.
I also ordered a 10 pack of 1.27mm (.050") for the SCX24.

Last edited by vinceherman; 11-01-2020 at 02:45 PM.
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
After looking at a lot of other drivers ( most I felt were too much money, were overkill, or didn't have a clutch) I stumbled upon a cheap ( $14) Walmart Hyper-Tough driver ( 4vt lithium-ion) and let me tell you... I love this thing. On the down-side it is a bit bulky but it goes forever between charges, has an awesome clutch with very accurate +/- torque adjustments. It has an LED light which is a nice feature at this price ( not super bright but adequate for most situations where you need a little more light) and you can rotate the handle straight or angled. It also has a nice large ring so that you can easily/ quickly hang it up. The hex drive socket is magnetic too which may be obvious but maybe worth mentioning. I've been using this one now for probably 9+ months and no issues whatsoever. I also use it for other projects around the home when I don't want to mess with my larger/ heavier/ bulkier corded and cordless drills/ drivers. For the money... this Hyper Tough is well worth it and aside from being a tad bulky and not having a brighter light, is otherwise perfect for RC plastics and lighter-duty jobs. BTW, part # is AQ70008G.
Thanks for the heads up! And it's available in my local Walmart (seems like a normally stocked item at all Walmarts). For $14 with a two year limited warranty, certainly easy on the wallet to give it a try.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I use this puppy right here. Found it on Amazon for $15 or so. It gets the job done, but it’s a little on the slow side. Also came with all these bits

Has an LED light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I was looking at that Tacklife SDP50DC but it's currently $26 on Amazon. It's also 3.6vt which may be why it seems a little slow. They've got some newer models but they're closer to $30.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin140 View Post
How do you like the inline version? I'm leaning towards Dewalt's pistol grip but haven't pulled the trigger yet. ... Get it?! Ahhahaha

The inline - appears to me - to be awkward to use vs the pistol grip. Tell me the pros/cons.

I need to get my hands on both and try 'em.
I couldn't find the pistol version locally. that is what I was going for. but this one is great. However I think the swappable to pistol grip version would be more comfortable to work with. Like all inlines, the can be a pain to use at certain angles, where the pistol grip is more ergonomic and gives less wrist stress.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I have two of the same Milwaukee M12 cordless screw drivers and I love them. Just an FYI however concerning the Milwaukee screwdriver. The motors are known for burning out relatively quickly so do a search on google and youtube for "Milwaukee m12 screwdriver motor replacement" it is not really a big deal to repair and replacement motors are under $10. But in the process of repairing my M12, I discovered that the motor is a standard 550 can size so I replaced the motor in one of my M12s with a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 13T. The only real issue was getting the pinion gear off the old motor so I could install it on the new HH motor.

Last edited by Inspector86; 11-02-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #13
RCC Addict

My experience with Milwaukee consumer level drills/impacts is that they are garbage and that's being nice lol. Way better choices out there. I have an 18v Ryobi that has outlived all of them, we're talking 10 years with the same 2 batteries. Every Milwaukee I've had including the brushless have failed within a year of purchase.

Having said that I tend to wrench on my RC by hand. It's more satisfying to me and I'm never in a hurry. Plus you pretty much eliminate the stripping/over tightening aspect. I have a ratcheting screwdriver that takes all of the drill bits and its my go-to for all things tiny and fiddly. That and my trusty 5.5mm box wrench. I get the power tool thing if you are in a comp/hurry for whatever reason but imo nothing beats the feel of hand tightening for tiny parts.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I also use the Muchmore tool posted above for about 95% of my needs.

I picked up one of these a few years back for more heavy duty use. Overkill for RC, but has a nice clutch and works well for other projects around the house.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-DF012D...341750&sr=8-87
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I've had this small little $20 4V Skil for about 3 years now. The charge lasts forever , and has enough power for putting in any type of screw on any vehicle. It doesn't have a clutch, but I could care less. I drive a screw 95% of the way in and hand tighten the rest. I don't like to rely on a clutch, especially when screwing into plastic.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SKIL-4-Volt...ded/1001863744

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I know everyone has their own preferences but what I look for is the smallest drill with an actual chuck as I hate being limited to using 1/4" bits only. The tool I bought to drive screws now gets more action drilling holes.

I ended with a little Makita drill and probably spent more that I should have but its super versitile.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Good point. Else you will have to get 1/4" hex bits with metric hex tips.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I know everyone has their own preferences but what I look for is the smallest drill with an actual chuck as I hate being limited to using 1/4" bits only. The tool I bought to drive screws now gets more action drilling holes.

I ended with a little Makita drill and probably spent more that I should have but its super versitile.
My next drill will have a Chuck just for this reason. I bought a set of 1/4" hex drill bits. The problem with this is they don't stay snug in the drill. There's a little play. Whenever I have to drill any type of hole, I have to run out to my truck and get my 19 volt drill out of my tool box that I use for work. It's not that often, just inconvenient.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I think that they are different tools for different jobs. A drill needs a strong drive. But is a bad tool for putting tiny screws into plastic because it tears them out.
A cordless screwdriver for putting tiny screws into plastic is not a good tool for drilling holes.
I do know that the MuchMore is great for screws in plastic.
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:04 PM   #20
RCC Addict

fwiw, I only use the driver to accelerate removal or install of longer bolts. I start and finish bolts by hand.
Pretty much eliminates the stripping and crossthreading issues, but speeds up the process. unthreading 15mm bolts or longer is a pita by hand.

Cordless Screwdriver - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Craftsman 4-Volt Cordless Gyro Screwdriver Lowes Clearance $25 DeoreDX Tools, and Procedures 3 01-21-2020 03:21 PM
Gyro Screwdriver Chiphead Tools, and Procedures 1 11-27-2013 08:19 PM
Need some screwdriver/bit help! kwonchoba Tools, and Procedures 6 01-23-2013 01:39 PM