Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures
Loading

Notices

Thread: Screw Storage ?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #21
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Big Island
Posts: 1,447
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
thanks for the hook-up. They are nice kits

No problem. I知 going to order one for myself


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #22
Go Buckeyes!
 
B-MOW71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mid-Ohio
Posts: 2,046
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Where does everyone make their bulk screw purchases

Edit: a label maker is a super useful tool. Has helped me be organized
I buy my all of bulk and kit screws from Team KNK. They can be purchased direct from their website and most all of the major hobby shops carry them. They are only about 2.5 hours away from me, so when I知 at one of their events I stock up.

I have bought some of my stainless screws from McMaster-Carr, but their shipping prices are ridiculous! They have individual sizes in packs of 25, 50 or 100 depending on the size.

Yeah, label makers are a must-have to keep organized!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:14 PM   #23
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 1,117
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I buy my all of bulk and kit screws from Team KNK. They can be purchased direct from their website and most all of the major hobby shops carry them. They are only about 2.5 hours away from me, so when I知 at one of their events I stock up.

I have bought some of my stainless screws from McMaster-Carr, but their shipping prices are ridiculous! They have individual sizes in packs of 25, 50 or 100 depending on the size.

Yeah, label makers are a must-have to keep organized!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I also buy all my screws from Team KNK. Best screws I've ever used.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:43 PM   #24
Go Buckeyes!
 
B-MOW71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mid-Ohio
Posts: 2,046
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
I also buy all my screws from Team KNK. Best screws I've ever used.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Agree! I致e never had a head strip or a rusty screw!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:38 PM   #25
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 1,912
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

I used to buy my hardware from McMaster-carr, still do sometimes. Last few t imes I bought from eBay if I'm not in a rush. I usually buy in bulk, 100 for each size 6 through 25mm, or larger.. I keep the screws in one 9f those transparent tackle boxes. Works well for me. Ive bought and outfitted allmost all my rc's (50+) with either black oxide or stainless steel.

Last edited by Gula; 12-17-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:14 PM   #26
Rock Crawler
 
Zukiiholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Portland
Posts: 728
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

I bought a (1500 pcs) Mega Bag Stainless Hardware Kit from KNK.
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:18 PM   #27
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Big Island
Posts: 1,447
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukiiholic View Post
I bought a (1500 pcs) Mega Bag Stainless Hardware Kit from KNK.

Geez, and I thought that 350 pack was a lot!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #28
A truant finds home...
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 191
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

Screw storage is one area that I am lacking in. Most of the time I put the leftover parts in a ziplock bag, label it with whatever name of the kit I just built, and put it in a drawer in my tool box. This thread has given me some good ideas though, so thank you!

Agree with others, the KNK kits are NICE. I just used my first one in my recent VS4-10 Pro build, and I will buy more in the future. I ordered mine from Amain and found that I was short a few pieces during my build. Later learned that Amain only carries the "VS4-10" screw kit, while KNK's website has kits specific to each model (Ultra, Pro, etc). I will just order direct in the future.
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #29
into the ether...
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 1,982
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I buy my all of bulk and kit screws from Team KNK. They can be purchased direct from their website and most all of the major hobby shops carry them. They are only about 2.5 hours away from me, so when I知 at one of their events I stock up.

I have bought some of my stainless screws from McMaster-Carr, but their shipping prices are ridiculous! They have individual sizes in packs of 25, 50 or 100 depending on the size.

Yeah, label makers are a must-have to keep organized!
Team KNK packs some nice fat screw bags. Looks good.

I have noticed a local industrial company called Fastenal that appear to sell small machine screws. I believe I have purchased specialty hardware from them in the past. May have to give them a call.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:16 PM   #30
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,506
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

Am I the only person that thinks the heads on KNK hardware is a little sloppy? Even MIP drivers don't fit those screws tightly.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:01 PM   #31
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 1,117
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Am I the only person that thinks the heads on KNK hardware is a little sloppy? Even MIP drivers don't fit those screws tightly.
I've built 4 different vehicles with knk screws and I've never had a problem with the heads being sloppy. My drivers ( both MIP and dynamite machined) fit like a glove, very tight.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cawston, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 407
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I have noticed a local industrial company called Fastenal that appear to sell small machine screws. I believe I have purchased specialty hardware from them in the past. May have to give them a call.
In B.C., Fastenal has closed the brick and mortar locations and everything from them must be ordered on line with an account or, if you are a commercial customer, through your Fastenal representative. Even when they did have brick and mortar locations, if you were looking for something not stocked in the store, you had to buy a box which could be 100, 500, or 1,000 pieces. Not useful for me if I only needed 10 or so.

I've found a place that is reasonably close by and they carry 3mm and up size stainless hardware at a reasonable price and will sell any qty I need, even if its just one. They don't always have all sizes in stock but if it is listed in their inventory system, they will order it for me, which can take up to a week. I think it might be Chinese stuff based on the pricing and quality is okay if you use good quality hex drivers. Sorry Smog, not much help to you in Winterpeg.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #33
into the ether...
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 1,982
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
In B.C., Fastenal has closed the brick and mortar locations and everything from them must be ordered on line with an account or, if you are a commercial customer, through your Fastenal representative. Even when they did have brick and mortar locations, if you were looking for something not stocked in the store, you had to buy a box which could be 100, 500, or 1,000 pieces. Not useful for me if I only needed 10 or so.

I've found a place that is reasonably close by and they carry 3mm and up size stainless hardware at a reasonable price and will sell any qty I need, even if its just one. They don't always have all sizes in stock but if it is listed in their inventory system, they will order it for me, which can take up to a week. I think it might be Chinese stuff based on the pricing and quality is okay if you use good quality hex drivers. Sorry Smog, not much help to you in Winterpeg.
I did notice when trying to place my Fastenal order online that I needed an account number. I imagine I will face the same challenge here.

Appreciate the response either way.

I have ordered hardware bulk off of Ali Express that was decent quality, just takes 3 months to get here often times. Often forget I ever ordered the stuff when it takes that long.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #34
Go Buckeyes!
 
B-MOW71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mid-Ohio
Posts: 2,046
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Team KNK packs some nice fat screw bags. Looks good.

I have noticed a local industrial company called Fastenal that appear to sell small machine screws. I believe I have purchased specialty hardware from them in the past. May have to give them a call.
I have a local Fastenal that comes once a week to my place of employment. I thought they only sold to businesses. I'll have to ask them next time I see them if they sell to ordinary customers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Am I the only person that thinks the heads on KNK hardware is a little sloppy? Even MIP drivers don't fit those screws tightly.
I've used many of their kits and have never noticed the heads being sloppy. They seem to be the same quality as McMaster-Carr and I haven't had a problem with their screws either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
I've built 4 different vehicles with knk screws and I've never had a problem with the heads being sloppy. My drivers ( both MIP and dynamite machined) fit like a glove, very tight.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Same here!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #35
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: My mothers basement
Posts: 1,784
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

These look nice https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2471753

But i use these for screws
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:796504

__________________________
Handy gearing spreadsheet
Voodoobrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:51 PM   #36
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Marengo, Ohio
Posts: 965
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

I order my screws from Mcmaster, being so close i get them same day or next.

I purchased these organizers and hot glued the partition peices in, using 2 compartments as one, it fits the 100 qty pretty nicely.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Jewel...72.m2749.l2649
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #37
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 25
Default Re: Screw Storage ?

I like using these from HF:

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-...box-40528.html


No dividers to mess with, cheap, and easy to transport.
Xporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Screw Storage ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gen8 ESC Jumper Issue plus what size screw is the servo horn screw? smithe68 Redcat Crawlers 8 04-15-2020 10:57 AM
RC storage Smonkman Newbie General 4 05-27-2016 06:24 PM
Storage! How does everyone do it? DaveFL Tires and Wheels 15 05-17-2013 03:07 PM
Screw storage solutions cbr6fs Tools, and Procedures 22 11-25-2011 04:37 AM
Stripped Hex Screw - Craftsman Screw Extractor bigstu Tools, and Procedures 8 11-05-2011 09:48 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com