Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: One and Done Kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2021, 10:16 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default One and Done Kits?

Looking for recommendations on a complete, or close to complete, set of tools relevant to RC. Bonus points for anything that comes with a good stand/organizer.
SurlyBurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2021, 10:36 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: One and Done Kits?

For a beginner this may exist but as I dive deeper and deeper I want (and use) more and more specialized tools that wont be found in any complete kit.

I'd highly recommend a nice set of Hex drivers in metric (1.5mm, 2.0mm 2.5mm and maybe a 3.0mm though its less common) and possibly SAE if you work with Vanquish parts (they're the main reason I have SAE)
MIP makes excellent tools, Metric driver set: https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/mip9502.htm

A cheap set thats not made from good quality steel will not fit as snugly and will likely end up stripping itself and screws.

a 7mm Wrench would be handy but not entirely needed, you could just get a simple cross wrench though those usually come free with some RC's and you'll never need to buy one.
7mm nut driver: https://www.amainhobbies.com/mip-met...ip9704/p585641

Cross wrench (again most wont buy these as they come free with some RC's): https://www.amainhobbies.com/yokomo-...yt-300/p257366

a 5.5mm wrench is also pretty handy, I couldnt find the version I like (it has one closed end and one open end) https://www.amainhobbies.com/oxy-hel...094-sp/p454004
In most cases needle nose pliers will do the job that wrench would be doing but sometimes you'll need that wrench due to its smaller size.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-05-2021 at 10:39 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'm sure I already have every tool I could ever possibly need in my garage, for my 1:1 projects. But I'm setting up a space just for the scale stuff, so that the scale stuff doesn't get chewed up or lost within the collection of real tools, and because I won't be the only one using the tools for scale stuff, my kids will too. Also its just convenient to have tools designated for scale in the same space as the scale stuff. So I'm not really looking for specific tool recommendations, I'm just wondering if anyone makes like a "complete" system. When it comes to the kids learning it helps if the tools are all a consistent style (manufacturer) and a stand/organizer makes it clear where tools go and if theres any missing etc etc. Its probably a long shot I'm sure but if its out there, I'm all about it. Alternatively, is there a recommended manufacturer, for example MIP, which offers *all* the tools, so I don't end up with a mixed set.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I do almost all of my RC wrenching with the 1.5mm to 3mm hex drivers, buy a nice titanium set, they will get used constantly. 5.5mm open ended comes in handy, as do a few of the ball end hex drivers for weird angles. I carry my rigs inside from the garage when it's too hot out there, and literally all I grab are the drivers. I can't think of much else RC specific, figuring everyone has wire strippers/solder guns and what not even if they don't RC.

For my wheels I use a nut driver. Blue loctite on all the things.

The only time I use a power tool is when I do lock rings on beadlock wheels, and it is only to remove the bolts after I break them loose with the hand driver, and I will occasionally use it to run them back in but I set the drill on "1" so it won't over torque, then I go back and tighten the last turn or so by hand.

I like hand turning wrenches, always have even on 1:1, gives you a better feel for the job and is satisfying.

The only odd piece I keep around is a chunk of sponge I tore off the corner of a big one, and I use it to grip the shaft on shocks so I don't mar the surface. I also use it when putting rod ends on if the links are new and shiny.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyBurly View Post
I'm not really looking for specific tool recommendations, I'm just wondering if anyone makes like a "complete" system.
I understand, cheap kits yes, quality ones nothing really comes to mind. You can just ignore my links and focus on the specific tools I listed, thats what I'd consider a good starter "kit".
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:21 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I guess I typed too much.

All in one kit: a set of hex drivers, not the cheap ones.

Done.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:36 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I think the MIP tool set is awesome set. I have all of these sets below. I do really like the Vanquish drivers too. They are long and sharp. They feel awesome in your hands. More precise feeling. The colored end cap that spins in your hand is very nice and easy to see all the sizes. But if I were looking for better leverage to tight a bolt, I would use the MIP vers the Vanquish. Both great tools.

Axial Drivers - N/A Long, sharp, colored, handle bigger but plastic feeling
MIP Drivers - Short, Strong, Sharp, feels quality in hand.
Vanquish Drivers - Silky smooth, Long and Precise, Colored, Handles very high quality.
Mugen Drivers - N/A Long and Precise, small handles, very strong.
Baja Skunkworks Drivers - N/A Short, Big colored handles, Very Beefy tool, Thorp Drivers, the best for leverage. Will leave in Will for kids.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:58 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
I think the MIP tool set is awesome set. I have all of these sets below. I do really like the Vanquish drivers too. They are long and sharp. They feel awesome in your hands. More precise feeling. The colored end cap that spins in your hand is very nice and easy to see all the sizes. But if I were looking for better leverage to tight a bolt, I would use the MIP vers the Vanquish. Both great tools.

Axial Drivers - N/A Long, sharp, colored, handle bigger but plastic feeling
MIP Drivers - Short, Strong, Sharp, feels quality in hand.
Vanquish Drivers - Silky smooth, Long and Precise, Colored, Handles very high quality.
Mugen Drivers - N/A Long and Precise, small handles, very strong.
Baja Skunkworks Drivers - N/A Short, Big colored handles, Very Beefy tool, Thorp Drivers, the best for leverage. Will leave in Will for kids.
Really informative answer, appreciate it. I have to say though, there is quite a premium for "RC" drivers, I mean you can get a set of WIHA drivers for less then half what these are going for and its a more complete set. I wonder if theres any practical difference.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:31 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Really informative answer, appreciate it. I have to say though, there is quite a premium for "RC" drivers, I mean you can get a set of WIHA drivers for less then half what these are going for and its a more complete set. I wonder if theres any practical difference.
The difference is generally in the type of metal material and/ or temperament process.. whether it's steel, aluminum, titanium, etc. The difference can also be found in the construction of the tool as well as the handle type and material.

Just like with 1:1 automotive tools, you begin to feel and really appreciate everything about higher-end tools over the cheap stuff.

I've used plenty of the WIHA-type drivers and in certain applications/ for some people they'll work okay. In my experience, they are not at all as comfortable as my higher-end hex-drivers, and they wear down in no time ( especially the ball-end drivers) but again... YMMV. That particular style begins life as a cheaply made blank that many companies slap their name on as a low-end offering... WIHA, Duratrax, Hobbico, etc, etc... all the same ones. As soon as you pick one up, you know it's nowhere even close to the higher-end drivers from MIP, Serpent, Hudy, Dynamite, Protek, etc... no comparison. I really think they're a waste of money if you're going to use them often... especially given that a lot of times you need some extra torque to get something loosened/ tightened.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:30 AM   #10
RCC Addict

When I search for tools/parts/lube/things like that I don't include 'RC' in the description, seems like that adds about $40 to the price lol. There's a different version of driver/silicone/lube/storage for almost every application. 100% agree though with the comfort part, even in 1:1 my higher end stuff just tends to fit in my hand better like some thought went into the process. Doesn't always last longer, but it's comfortable while I have it lol.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

I have a mixed collection of RC specific tools, but would like to pick up a set to leave out at the cottage or in my road kit.

Anyone use these?

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8712
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:49 AM   #12
Slow is the new Fast

This looks like a nice set of tools here

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8710
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Only things that I don't like about that Traxxas set is: Only one handle. Plenty of times that I've needed a driver in one hand and a driver in the other hand. Would be nice if they included two handles. Also the magnetic attachment... Probably works fine in most situations but every once in a while I wind up with a hex tip that has a really hard time letting go... either due to getting stuck in a screw head or due to an awkward angle or something. I feel like even with a strong magnetic pull, that I'd still wind up separating the tip from the handle. One more thing at least for me personally, I don't mind that type of rubber handle on a screwdriver but on my RC drivers, it's a lot better feeling to have a smaller more cylindrical handle.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I have a mixed collection of RC specific tools, but would like to pick up a set to leave out at the cottage or in my road kit.

Anyone use these?

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8712

i bought this 4 piece driver set from Traxxas. About the same cost as MIP but, with an extra size. good stuff so far. Also bit the bullet and got the Vanquish set. Spendy but very nice.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:21 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Anyone have any experience with GSpeed set?
Old 03-13-2021, 05:28 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

The game changer for me after a nice set of hex tools was a pair of shock pliers. They grip the shock shaft without marring it to put the ends on and any thing else you need to do. Putting shocks together now doesn't suck as bad as it did.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:20 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with GSpeed set?

I've never used them but they appear to be pretty decent... especially for only $20.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:24 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I've never used them but they appear to be pretty decent... especially for only $20.
My thoughts exactly, I'll have to grab a set and report back.

One and Done Kits? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Semi Truck Kits and Trailer Kits Now Qualify For Free Shipping & Coupon Dis... RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-12-2018 10:06 AM