RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   3d printing (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/623526-3d-printing.html)

LJ802 02-14-2021 06:03 PM

3d printing

just got one and curious what program would be best to purchase or if there's a free one besides pre-made files. really just want to design my own, any help or insight would be appreciated thanks! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sniper4370 02-14-2021 06:15 PM

Re: 3d printing

Fusion 360.
Then, go to YouTube and watch the Harley Designs STL Sunday videos.

mikemcE 02-14-2021 06:24 PM

3d printing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper4370 (Post 6068827)
Fusion 360.
Then, go to YouTube and watch the Harley Designs STL Sunday videos.

Harley does a great job drawing, but however draws way to fast to learn( rewind 6000 times) and I’ve learned tons. Start with Lars Christiansen on YouTube, learn constraints , and keyboard commands, easy to draw and print.

Then Josh’s Sunday Nights STL make sense

That’s how I started in March with extra Covid downtime, Fusion 360 is still free and rocks.

I needed a body magnet mount and a mid battery tray for my current build, fusion and ten minutes for the first one, the drawing was tweaked twice after printing final results shown. ( post diameters changed, and lengthened) Fusion allows design parameters to be changed almost anywhere in the drawing. So after a test print and fit, quick tweak and reprint.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c92e8e41e1.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...dea84af23c.jpg

Hang up and Drive

LJ802 02-15-2021 08:59 AM

sweet, and yeah i watched some of harleys sunday fun, checked that out, just have to install on the computer. also found an app for an ipad, just that it costs money, thanks for the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gula 02-15-2021 11:30 PM

Onshape=free, Fusion360, cost varies.

QuesoDelDiablo 02-16-2021 10:30 AM

As you're seeing lots of people really like Fusion360. I don't, I (really) strongly dislike it. I really like OnShape though, I think it's much better software. And it's guaranteed free whereas it sounds like F360 is starting to charge hobbyists in some situations.

Without getting too much into the personal preference aspects of them, the one thing that clearly stands out to me and puts OnShape in the lead is system resource consumption. F360 requires that you have (a reasonably large) software package installed on your machine and when it's running it's a bit of a RAM hog, but OnShape is completely browser based, no installation required and you can fully access your designs and use the program anywhere with an internet connection.

They're both good, they're both free, there's lots of YouTube tutorials for both of them. But for me, I find F360 clunky and unintuitive and it eats up RAM so OnShape is an easy choice.

(**Full Disclosure - I've been using Solidworks professionally for years and the UI in OnShape is very similar to SW so it's easy switchover for me and F360 UI is completely different**)

mikemcE 02-16-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo (Post 6069126)
(**Full Disclosure - I've been using Solidworks professionally for years and the UI in OnShape is very similar to SW so it's easy switchover for me and F360 UI is completely different**)

Understood, and not uncommon from many others reviews.

I couldn’t use anything other than 360.

I’m an ancient photoshopper(PS7) I tried a number of others and was lost... I don’t know why. I watched Josh draw and saw the workflow and that was the part of fusion that made it logical for me.
My biggest issue is constraints , but now I understand them and what 360 does automatically, I’ve been quite happy with my drawings printing correctly.

Hang up and Drive

Vitamin_J 02-16-2021 11:35 AM

I'm going to check out OnShape. I also use SW professionally but on my home PC I have been using DesignSpark Mechanical because it is similar to SW, but not quite as powerful or able to do as many things. Still Free and good for 3D modelling precisely.

ScaleLifeNewbie 02-16-2021 12:16 PM

Thanks Queso! I need to switch to something from Sketchup-too many restraints. I don’t like F360 either, the interface is confusing to me and it takes so long to load then it’s laggy.

Uncle Jay 02-19-2021 05:46 PM

Just figured I'd throw my two cents in here on this one. I don't have a printer personally, so I design stuff and email the files to my coworker who does. I know nothing about the options out there, but I've been having a good time with tinkercad. It's web based, so you can log into it on any computer and don't have to worry about Mac vs PC. It might be "simple" compared to others, but I've gotten some good results.