RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   Loctite (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/625132-loctite.html)

DRED805 05-31-2021 04:14 PM

Loctite

What kind are you using? Where do you get it? How do you apply it?

I go through it fast, so I don't wanna order another little bottle of blue 243 from Amain for $30.

Who's got a genius application method? I've just been using the dimples of an upside down soda lid to dip screw tips in. Gotta be a better way. Especially when putting together beadlocks with a million screws.

kincer 05-31-2021 04:18 PM

Re: Loctite

I just get the little blue bottles at Harbor Freight, works just as good and a lot cheaper. As the saying goes " A little goes a long way"

indybama 05-31-2021 05:45 PM

I get either the harbor freight brand, as kincer suggested, or the permtex brand at walmart. Depending on how much im goina use as to how i apply it. Sometimes straight from the bottle/tube or in a lid from a old pill bottle.

As for locktite on beadlocks, i used to do it. But the pressure of the tire against the ring tends to keep them from backin out. I dont use it for the hub screws either

Panther6834 05-31-2021 07:23 PM

1) Check Amazon...there are more choices than you can imagine.
2) Regarding beadlock wheels, even those I still use threadlock. Put another way, except for nuts with nylon inserts (ie. Nylock nuts), I always use threadlock when screwing metal into metal - better safe, than sorry.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

ScaleLifeNewbie 05-31-2021 08:26 PM

Loctite

I use the Protek brand of threadlock on Amain. Way cheaper at only $6. For bulk I’d definitely go to someplace like harbor freight or auto parts stores.

For beadlocks, I never use it. Every time I have, I’ve had a screw break off in the hub. Got tired of dealing with buying new time I’d take a wheel apart. You may occasionally have to retighten, but I take my wheels apart a lot so they don’t stay together too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inspector86 05-31-2021 08:48 PM

You can buy thread locker at any auto parts store.

DrIsotope 05-31-2021 11:40 PM

Vibratite 11150 (purple.) Better than everything else out there for small fasteners. You can get away with using 12250 (blue) if you use it very sparingly. The tiniest bit goes a really long way. The 50mL bottle might be a lifetime supply for a hobbyist.

svt923 06-01-2021 10:55 AM

Vibratite blue gel has been my favorite, less mess and waste than liquid and holds better than the solid (chapstick-like) threadlocks.

DRED805 06-01-2021 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 6083124)
Vibratite blue gel has been my favorite, less mess and waste than liquid and holds better than the solid (chapstick-like) threadlocks.

Whoa, have you tried that with the pump lid? If that works well, I'm sold. I'll grab one of those, and a some cheap harbor freight liquid for backup.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

durok 06-01-2021 05:59 PM

I use the Blue Chapstick-style Loctite.

Super easy to apply, no more mess!

The one I got was specifically Loctite 506166 All-Purpose Medium Strength Anaerobic Threadlocker Stick, Blue, 9-Gram..."thumbsup"

Killa-Cotton 06-03-2021 05:44 AM

Blue gel threadlock for me. I put a small dab on the tip of the screw them the give it a quick pinch with my fingers to make sure it gets between the threads and doesn't glob up. This work especially well when the screw needs to pass through a rod end.

Benp 06-03-2021 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 6083166)
I use the Blue Chapstick-style Loctite.

Super easy to apply, no more mess!

The one I got was specifically Loctite 506166 All-Purpose Medium Strength Anaerobic Threadlocker Stick, Blue, 9-Gram..."thumbsup"

Same.

Learned about it on here last year. I love it!

Steve g 06-03-2021 08:17 PM

Idk, I've still got a large bottle of 609, or maybe 601, that's probably from the 80s, or older, that works better then any of the new stuff I've tried. It'll be a sad day when it's finally empty.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

DRED805 06-03-2021 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benp (Post 6083288)
Same.

Learned about it on here last year. I love it!

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

I'm about to have 5 different kinds of loctite to compare... haha.

MAGNUMB 06-11-2021 03:10 PM

Purple 222 for everything as it's made for smaller fasteners. I still use red for pinions.

Loctite 555339 Threadlocker 222 Low Strength Tube, Purple, 6-ml

DESIGN. Ideal for fasteners under 1/4-Inches (6 mm) that require occasional adjustment.
RESULTS. Secure, one-piece assembly that will not loosen under stress.
SECURE. Locks and seals while preventing parts from loosening due to vibration.
EASY TO USE. Removable with hand tools for disassembly. Noncorrosive.
APPLICATION. Carburetors, relay locks, headlamps, throttle body assembly, choke assembly and fuel injection set screws and much more.