RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   So my screw is rounded out (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/629145-so-my-screw-rounded-out.html)

Frank211 04-30-2022 05:00 PM

So my screw is rounded out

So, i have to change the rear stub axles, the screw is stripped(rounded out) how do i take it out?

I hope i can?? I know there is a way(HOPEFULLY)to take it out without damaging the housings,if not any idea fellas?

Please heeeelllllllpppppp!

Thanks again.

tigris99 04-30-2022 05:05 PM

Re: So my screw is rounded out

Torx bit, set of standard hex keys, make sure your hex keys aren't worn out of the end.

If none of that works, then it's carefully with a drill to get the head of the screw off then vise grips to grab and remove the threaded shaft.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Frank211 04-30-2022 08:20 PM

Lousy pic but i can't/wouldn't be able to get some kind of pliers/vice into that spot. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3f7f9a6aca.jpg

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

ferp420 04-30-2022 08:36 PM

i cant make out a thing in that picks maybe a better pick

the torques bits work good ive also had good luck hammering a flat head in to the allen head and loosening them that way what ever way you try make sure to use enuff heat to loosen any thread lock or tight threads before you try to remove thw striped screw

Frank211 04-30-2022 09:01 PM

Yeah my phone is a 6 year old phone. Sorry about the pic.
I tried the screwdriver trick kept on spinning.

Drilling it out, how does one do that. Same size as the screw? How about the threads?

Even if i did get the head off, how would i take the screw out?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6651c163bb.jpg

Fallen 04-30-2022 09:33 PM

Yeah, same size drill bit as the diameter of the screw's shank. You could probably go down a size too just to be safe.

Start drilling into the head slowly. Once your bit gets through the head, it'll snap off. There should be enough exposed screw shank that you can put vise grips on it, and turn the screw out.

Another option is to use a Dremel or something to cut a straight slot in the screw head. Then use a flathead screwdriver to turn it out.

ferp420 04-30-2022 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank211 (Post 6115132)
Yeah my phone is a 6 year old phone. Sorry about the pic.
I tried the screwdriver trick kept on spinning.

Drilling it out, how does one do that. Same size as the screw? How about the threads?

Even if i did get the head off, how would i take the screw out?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6651c163bb.jpg

ok heres another trick take a file and try to file flats in to the screw head then you can grab the head with the vice grips it works alot better on round tube cause you can get just enuff of 5he screw head for the vise grips to grip with out fileing

you need a really good pair of vise grips to pull this off though

AK KRAWLER 05-02-2022 10:55 AM

Man, if you back the camera off a little, it would probably come into focus.

I can't tell from the pic what vehicle you are working on, so I cannot picture how to help.

This set of pliers is meant for helping to remove stripped screws. I have used mine a couple times and they work great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Frank211 05-02-2022 11:46 AM

Its the Losi LMT..... And those pliers will not enter that small place....lol

Even if i did back the camera out, still won't take a better pic....lol

AK KRAWLER 05-02-2022 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank211 (Post 6115242)
Its the Losi LMT..... And those pliers will not enter that small place....lol

Even if i did back the camera out, still won't take a better pic....lol

Gotcha, sorry man. Good luck though "thumbsup"

Frank211 05-02-2022 01:35 PM

Lololol.... Thanks i guess...lol

So i have cheap drill bits, taking forever to take the head off by drilling it, is there like better drill bits that won't grind away?

My drill bits are cheaply made. Lol

ScaleLifeNewbie 05-02-2022 02:28 PM

Did you try a torx bit? I bought a small Torx bit set 2nd hand off my buddy and it’s the best $10 I’ve ever spent. Haven’t worried about a stripped screw since. A flathead bit may even work in a pinch.

smog 05-02-2022 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank211 (Post 6115250)
Lololol.... Thanks i guess...lol

So i have cheap drill bits, taking forever to take the head off by drilling it, is there like better drill bits that won't grind away?

My drill bits are cheaply made. Lol

Carbide drill bit

Lots of good ideas in here

Frank211 05-02-2022 04:25 PM

Yes, i did buy some.... Nope did npt fit...needed it longer and thinner to be able to fit in that mounting hole.

Now just drilling the head,y bit kinda rounded out too(or flat) so now i have to buy new stronger drill bits...
LOL sure taking a long time...lol

Frank211 05-02-2022 04:25 PM

Yes, i did buy some.... Nope did npt fit...needed it longer and thinner to be able to fit in that mounting hole.

Now just drilling the head,y bit kinda rounded out too(or flat) so now i have to buy new stronger drill bits...
LOL sure taking a long time...lol

high plains drifter 05-02-2022 06:10 PM

Not sure where you're currently at with this now so disregard if this isn't relevant but could you try to use a very thin flat-blade screwdriver and maybe even ( if its a cheapo screwdriver) grind it down to sharpen it a bit or make it more narrow... Then push or tap it into the stripped screw head enough for it to engage and then carefully try to back it out/ unscrew it?

Anyway.. Just wanting to help. Disregard if it's past that point or if I've missed something. Hope you get that bugger outta there.

Frank211 05-02-2022 08:26 PM

Itttttt'sssss OFF, yay!
Many, MANY, thank you's to this swell group of fellas!!!
Came off, now i need a pair of vise grips.... Mine broke so need a new pair! LOL

It came out in a flash.. Funny how better built bits make difference.

AGAIN thank you!

ferp420 05-02-2022 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank211 (Post 6115279)
Itttttt'sssss OFF, yay!
Many, MANY, thank you's to this swell group of fellas!!!
Came off, now i need a pair of vise grips.... Mine broke so need a new pair! LOL

It came out in a flash.. Funny how better built bits make difference.

AGAIN thank you!

lol it took me a few years to figure that out my self lol

glad it came out

smog 05-03-2022 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smog (Post 6115258)
Carbide drill bit

Lots of good ideas in here

Glad to hear you got it out. Not sure why I wrote Carbide here. Brain fart I suppose, what I meant was cobalt. Obviously a bit intended for harder steel

My apologies if I led you astray

Frank211 05-08-2022 01:17 AM

I kinds knew what you meant after i figured it out at lowes. Lol

So the lockout sled off real easy. Then.......noooooo, i couldn't get the screw off with the vise grips, they squashed the end of the screw, i couldn't grab.
So got the needle nose pliers with the wire cutter part, grabbed ot and screw it off....whew! Lol

Again a MILLION THANK you's for the help!

I thought i had to buy a new housing??! LOL didn't have too!