Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Dremel Tool. Fancy or Basic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2022, 09:39 AM   #1

Default Dremel Tool. Fancy or Basic?

I'm wanting to buy a Dremel Tool for my hobby workbench.

I Have one of these Fancy Foredom Tools at work, and its VERY versatile, with a wand that has a chuck and a real skinny wand thats handy in tight spaces that has a traditional clamping collet. But its pretty high dollar for my home worktable for RC stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Foredom-2230-...84094026&psc=1

I see some cheaper alternatives on Amazon, but not sure of the durability or if parts will be available in the future.....

I'm wondering ,,,,,what do you guys use at home,,,,in the way of a dremmel tool?
Redharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2022, 10:08 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Dremel Tool. Fancy or Basic?

I've got four Dremels atm. Some people hate on them.. Dunno why. I'd be lost without mine. The one that I use most these days is a 300 series. I take care of it and it takes care of everything I throw at it. I've replaced brushes maybe twice over the past 4-5 years but I use it a LOT. I also recently replaced the chuck with a really cool hand-tightening one so no more wrench to open/ close. Changing bits is quicker now plus it doesn't utilize a collet so I can use super-tiny micro drill-bits.

Biggest thing imo for a Dremel or any rotary tool for hobby use is MULTIPLE SPEED. That is everything to me as working with many different materials takes variable speeds to produce successful and efficient results.

Whether you go Dremel or go with a different brand, I really think that multi-speed is the way to go. I also don't care for cordless models in rotary tools. I've found the batteries to never be able to stand up to the length of time I need them for.

For all the different attachments and features that Dremel offers, I've never found the need for any of them... just whatever bits I need to get the job done... some Dremel brand ( expensive but quality) and some Amazon off-brand ( super cheap.. some good quality but most don't last long).
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 10:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Biggest thing imo for a Dremel or any rotary tool for hobby use is MULTIPLE SPEED. That is everything to me as working with many different materials takes variable speeds to produce successful and efficient results..
Yeah Speed Adjust is Critical. I HATE foot pedals though. Speed adjust HAS to be on a dial. Also the adjustable collet is a must if you want to use drill bits... I've found that Reversible rotation is really handy too. Depending on your angle of attack, certain bits want to run away from you. Reversing the rotation helps with that.

Im having trouble Finding all these features at a cheap price is all, lol.
Old 10-29-2022, 11:12 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I can see how reversible rotation would be an asset but I don't know that it's a necessity. Although I say that, never having used that feature on any rotary tool, so maybe having it would change my way of thinking. Still though, with many decades as a hobbyist, I don't see reverse rotation as a must-have.

Yeah.. Dremels aren't cheap but with everything mine have done for me, I consider each one money well spent. This is going back to my first one probably 30+ years ago. And I still have it... and it still works lol!

I'm looking on Amazon atm and there's an off-brand ( GOXAWEE) that's only $40 with a ton of solid reviews and comes with a bunch of accessories including key-less chuck and flex-shaft. Dunno if it would stand the test of time but man.. that's a good deal if it would be reliable long-term.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 11:25 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

ive never really used a dremel for for hobby stuff i used a few porting heads and polishing stuff
the electric ones dident last through a head i went through 3 on one head i ended up getting a small air dremel like tool i can beat that thing till the sun goes down just add a few drops of oil before i run it and its good to go
i have.thought about getting another electric one just for hobby stuff but im not sure i would use it
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 08:31 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'me still using a pair of the best rotary tool ever made, the Black & Decker RTX-B. Sadly, long discontinued, but significantly more tool than anything from Dremel, and they were around 30 bucks-- Dremel was charging close to a hundred bucks for 1.2A (and still are,) while B&D was giving 2.0A for a third the money. I've been using the same pair of RTX-Bs since about 2007. Between 2005 and 2007, I burned up four Dremel tools.

I've used Foredoms before, and honestly I don't care for flex-shaft tools. They always feel like they're getting in their own way. So I would say basic. The WEN 23190 is a solid contender for about 30 bucks. Probably not up to production-level work, but for working on toy cars, should be perfectly fine.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
I'me still using a pair of the best rotary tool ever made, the Black & Decker RTX-B. Sadly, long discontinued, but significantly more tool than anything from Dremel, and they were around 30 bucks-- Dremel was charging close to a hundred bucks for 1.2A (and still are,) while B&D was giving 2.0A for a third the money. I've been using the same pair of RTX-Bs since about 2007. Between 2005 and 2007, I burned up four Dremel tools.

I've used Foredoms before, and honestly I don't care for flex-shaft tools. They always feel like they're getting in their own way. So I would say basic. The WEN 23190 is a solid contender for about 30 bucks. Probably not up to production-level work, but for working on toy cars, should be perfectly fine.
Well,,,, If we are gonna go Old School and Basic,,,,I've been Using these "Manual" dremel style tools for nearly 40 years at work. They WILL get the job done for Hobby Work too but,,,,you know,,,,,,Progress is acceptable
https://www.msdiscounttool.com/catal...YaAiqAEALw_wcB
Old 10-29-2022, 11:36 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Who said I don't have a box of needle files? I have a file drawer. Different tools for different jobs.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 04:24 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I have a 5000 series Dremel that hasn't been used since I bought an m12 Milwaukee version. Love that thing+
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I have a 5000 series Dremel that hasn't been used since I bought an m12 Milwaukee version. Love that thing+
Hard to argue with that.
Sweetride95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 02:56 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I've got a Dremel 4000. There have been times where I wished I could reverse the rotation but not in this hobby yet. But otherwise it's came in handy with plenty of projects on and off the job. Like other tools, I'll only replace it once it fails me. Also I'm the type of person that will buy a tool that is needed for a job just to add to the collection.
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 09:30 AM   #12
Go Buckeyes!

I have and use a variable speed Dremel with a flex shaft quite often. I'm not sure if I could live without mine. It's a handy tool to have around.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:59 AM   #13

Ive used the dirt cheap ones before & never really got them to do anything that I tryed to use them for. Got the M12 Milwalkee one now and although its kinda heavy it is a game changer compaired to the cheap ones I was using. Adjustable speed is a must on these.
RecklessTrent91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 05:40 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I’ve been using the sub $20 variable speed “Tool Shop” brand rotary tool from Menards for a few years now and it’s been great. Only problem is recently I’ve worn out the collet so it doesn’t want to grip cut off wheels etc when heavy pressure is applied. Easy fix with a new collet.

Does everything a much more pricey rotary tool does. And works with all the Dremel bits. Even used it and a few cut off wheels to carefully removed a galled up stainless steel 1 1/4” nut that was froze.

For the tasks I use a rotary tool for, I love the corded power and variable speed. Had a rechargeable Dremel brand one 15 or so years ago that was fairly gutless. But hearing about the M12 Milwaukee one here I may give that one a go.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 03-17-2023 at 05:44 AM.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote

Dremel Tool. Fancy or Basic? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool JatoTheRipper Tools, and Procedures 19 01-10-2019 09:56 AM
Your rotary "dremel" tool finds/suggestions KNIFE Tools, and Procedures 33 06-19-2010 02:24 PM
My Dremel tool attacked my WK SalManilla HPI Wheely King 18 09-13-2007 09:55 AM
Good rotary tool? (dremel type) gopher Tools, and Procedures 31 05-23-2007 10:17 PM