Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: My first brazing attempt (critique please)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default My first brazing attempt (critique please)

After seeing some of the incredible working being turned out by people on the site I decided I have nothing to lose by trying this out. I bought the stuff a year ago when I made my first crawler. Tried it once and couldn't even get the torch working right. turns out the oxy valve doesn't crack open right when you turn the knob.... Oops.

Anyways, got it working and had some scrap metal from a guy at work. Can someone critique it? It's a first try and obviously I need some practice but I'm always down for some constructive criticism.

How are you guys applying the flux? I'm using harris safety silver and harris white flux. Can I just use a tooth brush or something? I just used my finger for this but it didnt spread well.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Not bad.....I can't tell how large this piece is so how hard it might be to heat with your torch. Applying the flux with a small brush works well. I use the little ones they sell at welding shops. A toothbrush could probably work too....or a smear with your finger. Best to make sure the metal is clean and bright and you get flux on all areas.

Looks like you may have gotten some of the flux a little too hot at the lower portion of the joint. It shouldn't turn black but stay more clearish like you see above the joint. But sometimes its hard to avoid a little charring. Also, ideally, your braze line would be smooth and the line on this one is a little jagged showing it did not flow completely consistently.

Overall, looks pretty decent.....though you might want a little more flow away from the joint.....IMHO.

Did you try to pull it off?
Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #3
RCC Addict

thanks for the reply. Actually I didn't use any flux on the bottom...... I know I should have but it was to late haha.

Approximately how far away from the metal do you hold the torch to heat it? you're right about the bottom piece. It was about 14ga steel and was harder to heat than the 16ga tubing. I'm going to mess around more with these pieces of metal until I get some nice looking joints.

What do you mean more flow away from the joint? Use more silver? I think that didn't happen because of the lack of flux on the bottom part?

Essentially, where ever you put the flux is where the silver will flow to correct? If i get it to hot that gets rid of the flux?

Yes I tried pulling it off, standing on it and hitting it with a hammer. It held up great to it all.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I wish my camera took pics that nice. I did some first-time brazing this weekend too and it is a lot of guesswork but I just went for it anyway. Does anyone really use brazing goggles to shield the eyes from crazy rays? I said screw it and used my polarized sunglasses... as if they would do something. [Shrug] I bought a 24x18 piece of sheet metal and laid that on my stove so I could use the exhaust fan to clear the fumes. I need to keep a better eye on my flame bcuz it would change as I was brazing. Your joint looks better than some of my joints, Nick. I was having trouble brazing vertical joints but I cleaned them up real well and you can't tell how ugly the joints used to be. They seem to be plenty strong too! Keeping the pieces where I want them during the process is the hard part for me. It is fun though!
Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Yeh. I live in an apartment so I did it over in my grandpas garage. After he found out what I was doing he wouldn't leave me alone haha

I agree. I think the hardest part about it will be setting up a good place to work. A place where you can hold things down and in the right configuration. I think putting on the flux right is key since the silver flows where the flux is. I'm just going to get some small brushes so I'm more accurate.

I didn't use any goggles for my first attempt but I will be. It got pretty darn bright and I want to be able to see when I'm 50

I tried brazing some other stuff but I must have torched the flux off because I couldn't get a good joint. I'm going to set a spot up at work or over at grandpas and just start brazing stuff together. I'll get the hang of it with some practice.