Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Screw you

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Screw you

Or more to the point, how badly are we getting screwed when it comes to buying screws.

I need to place another decent sized order for miscellaneous screws. I usually hit up mcmaster.com but the last few times the shipping costs have gone up considerably. So I figure lets get some comparisons going. These don't include the shipping, which it seems all these places charge a fair chunk to ship (anywhere from $8 to $15 in my experience, depending on the size of the order).

Obviously these price comparisons don't include shipping costs. That is where it becomes really difficult to calculate the best place to order from. Mcmaster can charge a huge amount for their shipping, other times they are more in line with actual shipping costs.

I don't know what the shipping is like with the other companies.

After I did all this research I guess what it comes down to is I still don't know where the best/cheapest place to buy screws is. But either way it sure does feel like we're getting screwed. Plus I now have a pretty little spreadsheet to look at.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

With the price of steel going up things are not got to get any cheaper, stainless cost a little more anyhow; that coupled the cost of fuel going up shipping cost are going to go up as well.

Its a nasty little cycle.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Built, not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloak View Post
Or more to the point, how badly are we getting screwed when it comes to buying screws.

I need to place another decent sized order for miscellaneous screws. I usually hit up mcmaster.com but the last few times the shipping costs have gone up considerably. So I figure lets get some comparisons going. These don't include the shipping, which it seems all these places charge a fair chunk to ship (anywhere from $8 to $15 in my experience, depending on the size of the order).

Obviously these price comparisons don't include shipping costs. That is where it becomes really difficult to calculate the best place to order from. Mcmaster can charge a huge amount for their shipping, other times they are more in line with actual shipping costs.

I don't know what the shipping is like with the other companies.

After I did all this research I guess what it comes down to is I still don't know where the best/cheapest place to buy screws is. But either way it sure does feel like we're getting screwed. Plus I now have a pretty little spreadsheet to look at.
Let me know size,length and quantity.I'll see what I can do.I've been having problems lately getting the ones I need but,if yours are more common,I might be able to help you.
Pat
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

ive bought from microfastners before. wont be long before i place another order, i'll have to check shipping.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Small parts catolouge has good, cheap screws. Like a 25 screw box of 3x15mm was only 4.50 or so for stainless. Prices have probably changed recently though.
sudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I buy mines in bulk @ www.rcscrewz.com
Kev808 is offline   Reply With Quote