Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: hex drill bit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Its close. A traditional broach starts with a round hole the size of the hex or square, then incrementally shaves off more and more until corners come out to the ID of the hole-I've never used one, but I've been reading up on it, if I'm wrong, someone with experience please chime in.
chaotic_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #22

that is correct, a broach is sort of a punch, but like he said, it starts out the size of your round hole, and gets larger and larger in GAPPED sections to gain the size to ease in pressing, the only variation to this is blind hole broaches, which are for very shallow holes, like bolt heads, they tend to be closer to what I explained how to build and are used in a machine press, beings the hole does not go through, the broach has to cut the hex in a shorter travel, and usually is a one step process, machine drills/mills a hole the depth needed, then the punch goes boom into the hole and retracts,and the mill/drill cleans the bottom of hole form material, end of process, but for the home reader , without access to such tooling and machinery, the tool I described to build works, If you are doing a clean through hole, it woks well, If doing a hole a certain depth, the hole must be cleaned a couple of times untill you reach the hex depth you desire....

Yes a CNC machine on a 3-4-6 axis is great, or even if you have a single axis programmed with a second axis controlling a rotary table programmed to mill (x) distance, retract, rotate table 60 degrees, plunge, mill (x) distance and so forth, but Im sure 80 percent or better of the readers on here dont happen to have (or have access to) a CNC mill....
fixinbigtrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

That is a great post, fixinbigtrucks. A 12mm broach from McMaster.com (P/N: 8760A47) costs $384.
Sorry to be a newbie, but what is the "quill" on a drill press, the chuck?

Last edited by Cubman; 06-29-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Cubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #24

Default there are no stupid questions !

The quill, also refered to in lahmans terms as the sleeve is what the spinning part (spindle) spins in, it either holds bushings, or bearings that the spindle spins in, it usually has rack and pinion type gear travel, where on one side of the quill (spindle) has a series of teeth milled into it going up and down, and your spindles verticle feed rod has a pinion on it, the pinion engadges the quills teeth and when rotated moves it up or down, the spindle is spinning inside of it. the spindle is generally splined at the top, and the splines can travel up and down vertically in another sleeve that has internall splinesand the drive pulley on it but does not travel up or down, this allows the quill and spindle to travel up and down and still have positive drive ability from the drive motor belt or gearing system...........
fixinbigtrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

ok, heres what i just did with my dremel drill press and small file. now i'll have to get a disc to mount in place of the ring with a center hole drilled for the wheel nut.
Name:  DSC02923.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  DSC02924.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  DSC02927.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  41.4 KB
VS
Name:  DSC02926.JPG
Views: 133
Size:  35.4 KB

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 07-03-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote