Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Brazing Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #201
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckjiujitsu View Post
ok i tried to braze my cage and my mapp torch wouldnt melt the rod. i could get it red hot but it wouldnt liquify the rod. the flux burned right off and wouldnt melt the rod??? so different rods/flux or just get the harris flux and different rods?? i am thinking that a better torch setup wouldnt hurt either bu if just buyin the harris flux and rod would do it id rather go that route
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro_die View Post
Ive been reading about brazing for quite awhile now, but sadly im still lost as to waht brazing rods to use. We have brazing rods here but it requires oxy and acyt which i dont have although I have a torch. Will this work out fine. A little guidance please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserHead View Post
Just get the Silver Solder, you will be happy that you did. I use the 56% that is not even Harris and it works great. All I use is the Mapp or the new one that took Mapps place (cant remember exactly what it was called). As soon as you see that the safety Silv has melted and starts to look like its part of the rod(and whitish), the solder will melt nicely. The rod will also start to have a light glow to it. I always try and braze in low-light. Helps to see the perfect time to start. You can always brush the solder against the joint while heating until you see it melting as well(dont hold solder directly in flame though or it will break off prematurely). It will take shorter or longer depending on the gauge of silver solder that you use....

GL

C H

Make it easy on yourselves guys, skip the brazing rods, and get the Harris Safety Silv silver solder, and the Harris Sta-silv flux, or whatever brand, and you'll be suprised how easy it is. Brazing rods are great for some things, but the brazing wire is much better/easier for the things we use it for in this hobby. It is more expensive, but well worth it.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #202
Quarry Creeper

VERY useful tips in this thread!! The most important one is SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY
skipxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #203
Quarry Creeper

I have to admit I'm still a bit lost on this. I have managed to braze a little before but I am trying to braze stainless right now and not having any luck. I have tried rods and silver solder. The rods do nothing at all, not even melt, the solder melts just fin but will not flow for me to make the joint. I'm trying to braze together 2 stainless rods side by side with no luck at all but some black and messy looking rods. I've heated them red hot and no luck but burnt solder. Obviously I'm not doing something right.
MikeyBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #204

hmm i just got 5 cans of mapp and 2 torches time to have some fun also got a huge can of flux. can anyone say cage inside of a honcho?
speed king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:52 AM   #205
Quarry Creeper

Ok. Now I am also at the point where I need to learn brazing.
Just found a local supplier who sells the solder/weld kit with 2 small tanks.
Now everyone is talking about harris silver solder and flux. But where do you guys get them?
And the big question is can I order that online so it would be shipped to my country.
Also what is the most common OD of the brakeline used.

Thanks
tarmo120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:14 AM   #206

Google shopping has it as well as eBay
Akap265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #207
Quarry Creeper

Thanks but I was trying to find them. No luck. What are the correct names?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #208
Quarry Creeper

If you have a welding supply store in your area they should have it or be able to get it I would think.

3/16" is the most common size we use in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmo120 View Post
Ok. Now I am also at the point where I need to learn brazing.
Just found a local supplier who sells the solder/weld kit with 2 small tanks.
Now everyone is talking about harris silver solder and flux. But where do you guys get them?
And the big question is can I order that online so it would be shipped to my country.
Also what is the most common OD of the brakeline used.

Thanks
cherokee95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #209
Quarry Creeper

Harris safety silv 45 or 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmo120 View Post
Thanks but I was trying to find them. No luck. What are the correct names?
cherokee95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #210
Quarry Creeper

Good, thanks guys.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #211
Pebble Pounder

This has inspired me to try and make my own tube chassis not mention steering links!!
troutbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #212
Rock Crawler

ok so i bought somemore 45% solder, flux and a mapp gas torch. i tack welded together some 1/8" solid rod tube work and now i want to solder the joints. i smear it with flux, heat the joint up red hot. NOW- i apply the solder and it just balls up and wont melt. it wont flow it wont do anything but make a mess!! ive brazed before with no issues! whats the deal???
rockrigcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:10 AM   #213
Rock Stacker

What kind of brake line should i use? Im using a bernomax mapp gas torch, stay silv flux and 45% silver solder. All info and help needed!
Huntweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #214
Quarry Creeper

when i get a scaler i want to make a metal frame for it, but i'd rather use solid aluminum rod instead of brake line. i've read through the whole thread and there hasn't been a direct answer, can i braze 1/8 or 3/16 aluminum rod? i would go with a solid steel rod but i like to cut weight where i can.
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #215
Quarry Creeper

I went the aluminum route and I am starting to regret it. I am using the alumiweld rods from Harbor Freight, and they don't seem to be making a very good bond. Granted, I am still trying to perfect the technique, but even when it looks like I have a good bond, it breaks apart fairly easily. I think I am going to finish my current project with the alumiweld and if I decide to use aluminum again, I'll try the HPS5000 (or whatever that new rod is called).

That said, I am looking forward to using steel for the first time. I just don't know how I am going to cut steel plate, yet.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
pixelnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #216
Quarry Creeper

Just an FYI, 14 gauge aluminum sheet is not very easy to work with. That could be part of my problem. I just tried to bend a strip of it to create a bracket. That wasn't easy, and it wasn't as exact as I would have liked. I'm off to find some thinner sheet and see if that helps.
pixelnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #217
Quarry Creeper

i wonder if you could braze it the same way you braze steel rather than the alumirod. i was actually looking at that stuff earlier.
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #218
Quarry Creeper

Does Lincoln Electric own the Harris stay silv 45, I'm looking to buy but can't find on my local hardware stores only online but as I search it comes out as Lincoln Electric stay silv 45
toyotaexo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #219
RCC Addict

Default Re: Brazing Video

just read through the whole thread... i've been looking at the bernzomatic torch with the hose for months but couldnt afford it... low and behold i got one for christmas... haha dad showed me how to set it up and use it because its in our shop with lots of grease, oil, gas etc so i wanted to know the do's and donts.. im gonna practice with the brazing rod it came with then i'll find some good stuff.. think its time to finish my solid rod chassis for my honcho.. once the chassis is done im gonna hand form some aluminum body panels like metalmasher does.

i've only done a couple of braze welds on a tin can.so i was just wondering what kind of "beginner" projects do you guys suggest??
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #220
RCC Addict

Default Re: Brazing Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
i've only done a couple of braze welds on a tin can.so i was just wondering what kind of "beginner" projects do you guys suggest??

I would start practicing brazing the 3/16" solid rod together.. Or, whatever size material you plan on building your chassis out of. Then you can get a feel for it while using the actual materials your going to be working with when you build the chassis.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote