Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Brazing Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #81

hello- I am a long time lurking, first time poster on this site. My question is can a propane torch work just as well as a mapp torch for the kind of projects that are being discussed here? Thanks in advance- Matt
sandrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #82

I hope this wasnt already said...

What kind of metals can be braized?

and thoes two compounds you have there the Flux and the saftry thing... what do they both do? and do you combine them? in the first video i only seen you use the Flux (taller bottle) or is that smaller one the soader? (sry kant speel lol)

Okay and my other question I had asked i think in the wrong area.

Can I sodder tubing together? or is this just for wires and light weight stuff? Thought I would ask before trying it.

Thanks,

CrAzY TiMmY
crazytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytimmy View Post
I hope this wasnt already said...

What kind of metals can be braized?

Steel or bras I believe.

and thoes two compounds you have there the Flux and the saftry thing... what do they both do? and do you combine them? in the first video i only seen you use the Flux (taller bottle) or is that smaller one the soader? (sry kant speel lol)

Flux is the stuff in the small white bottle that is "brushed/painted" on the tubing. The safty silv it the wire looking thing and the mapp gas is the tall yellow bottle that the flames come out of.

Okay and my other question I had asked i think in the wrong area.

Can I sodder tubing together? or is this just for wires and light weight stuff? Thought I would ask before trying it.

Yes Brake line is tubing. I've also brazed 1" diamater tubing, 3/4" square tubing. 1/8-1/2" solid rod. I've also brazed a coat hanger to look like a spider web.

Thanks,

CrAzY TiMmY
some pics of brazed stuff. if it helps you out.
two different types of axle housing for a maxx set up.

these are made with solid rod and expanded metal.

Combonation of 1/4 square tubing, 1/4" brake line, 3/16" brake line and a coat hanger for the webing.

sheetmetal and brake line.

used 3/4" square tubeing, 1/4" square tubing, sheet metal, 3/16 solid rod, and 16 gage metal plate.

Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #84

Thanks soo much! the picture are a good help too.

oh and by the last question I meant like sodder not braze... i use it on speaker wires and such. can i use that or will it not be as strong.

thanks,

CrAzY tImMy
crazytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

soldering is only good for electronics.. ;)
Old 03-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #86
Pebble Pounder

What's up guy's? New to the site. I see some using magnets to hold tubing and pieces together. My question is, is it ok if the magnet gets hot? And how do you go about holding a nut to the tubing to braze it? Sorry about the newbie questions just trying to get as much info as possible. Thanks!
Crutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

These might be dumb question, but can you use propane? Also, can you just use a MIG wielder on the brake line?
Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:43 AM   #88
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stburr91 View Post
These might be dumb question, but can you use propane? Also, can you just use a MIG wielder on the brake line?
Brake line too thin dude. Just use solid rod.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Just order me some goodies.... I'll give this a Shot for myself... Hell if Double J can do it... I know I can...

j/k Jason...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #90
Rock Crawler

I have a couple ?'s about brazing- I have soldered lots of copper pipe before, but never brazed anything.

1. I have flux that is used for soldering copper pipe-can I use it for brazing?

2. what metals can be brazed, (I know brass, copper + steel brake line any others?) & do you need different rod for each?

Thanks in advance!

I love the site! Just starting a WK build, NewB Crawler.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:26 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

crutch-Try to find magnets that are all metal. not any type of that black looking magnet stuff cause it melts if it gets to hot.
But yeah I don't have a problem with my magnets getting hot. I picked up mine (in the vid) from harbor frieght. Don't get the red ones with the black crap inbtween them..
The trick brazing nuts to the chassis. use a piece of all thread or a long bolt. i've also used needle nose pliers.

R2J - that is funny.

R/Cmaxx- Brazing is basically the same thing as "sweeting" a copper pipe.
to answer.
1. No. You will be brazing a differnet materials and some items may not work the same. I don't know from experiance so i'm saying no to be on the safe side and save you some possible headaces using the incorrect products togeather.

2.Check out Harris web site-http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/ - it will give you a full run down on each product and what it can be used with. I stick to steel with my mapp, safty silve 56/45 and stay flux. so I haven't tried different metals yet.

Good luck with your builds and always remember to be safe.
I came in from the garge cause I burnt my finger and needed to run some water on it and I needed a brake also..
Old 05-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #92
Pebble Pounder

This was asked before but i noticed it wasnt answered. Can you use a propane torch with the mounted heat trigger? Will it get as hot as the mapp, if not how much longer does it take to heat?
Prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #93
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophecy View Post
This was asked before but i noticed it wasnt answered. Can you use a propane torch with the mounted heat trigger? Will it get as hot as the mapp, if not how much longer does it take to heat?
Yes you can use it. No it does not get as hot as MAPP, so yes it takes a few seconds longer to heat a joint properly.

if it all you got, use it. if you are buying new stuff, skip it for the MAPP setup.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #94
Pebble Pounder

ok thanks. Yeah since i already have it and dont use it for anything i might as well make use of it.
Prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #95
RCC Addict

This is my first time brazing and ive got a question about the surface you braze on. I saw in the videos that there is just a piece of sheet metal under the brake line. Does the braze go all the way around the joint or just on one side? Also, what kind of metal is being used for the base? If it is steel like brake line, wouldnt the brake line get brazed to it? I will be using the flux coated rods, because thats all i have. I know safety silv and stuff is better but i cant get any by this weekend. Thanks for any help.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Does anyone know what to clean welds with after your done, and before paint? I need to make sure all the flux is off before I paint. Not really sure what to use that will get all the flux off.

Thanks
Tom
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

If our talking about cleaning the flux off. Just use water and a rag. If you want to clean your brazing joint, use a dremel tool with a sanding bit to clean your weld.
crawlbe4youwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlbe4youwalk View Post
If our talking about cleaning the flux off. Just use water and a rag. If you want to clean your brazing joint, use a dremel tool with a sanding bit to clean your weld.
Yeh...Cleaning the flux off after I brazed the joint. Need it real clean so I can paint it without the paint flakeing off.

Thanks
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

I noticed you guys talking troy ounces. How's that compair to U.S. ounces..................bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Found it, thanks.....................bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote