Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: brazing heat supply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default brazing heat supply

hey guys ive been messing around brazing some stuff but im having a hard time getting the brass to melt, im using a mapp torch and get it glowing red pretty good but it wouldnt melt till i held the torch on there for like 5 minutes! is it worth it to get an oxy/acet. setup? i dont know what rod im using but its flux coated and the brake line was sanded clean and everything.. am i doin something wrong?
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03durtymax View Post
hey guys ive been messing around brazing some stuff but im having a hard time getting the brass to melt, im using a mapp torch and get it glowing red pretty good but it wouldnt melt till i held the torch on there for like 5 minutes! is it worth it to get an oxy/acet. setup? i dont know what rod im using but its flux coated and the brake line was sanded clean and everything.. am i doin something wrong?
get better braze. harris saftey silv 45/55.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

What size brazing rod? Try a welding supply store and get the smallest dia flux coated rod they have - 1/8" is probably too thick for map - I use 1/16 with my o/a setup but it will work with map. If you're gonna go the expense of a welding setup you may want to shop it around for cost. You can get a nice Victor setup with tanks for about $200, your local welding shop can exchange your tanks for about $25.
Next, think about a wire feed welder - Home Depot rents them for like $25/4 hours or $35/24 hrs.
Hope this helps
OldShovelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Benzomatic #WB-5 brass coated rod works well, and is very strong. It does require more heat than Harris, but it hasn't distorted any parts on me yet. You can pick it up at home depot. With this rod, heat up the tube till just starting to glow, then insert rod into flame to heat it up, once everything is hot enough, it will flow around the joint nicely. Takes maybe a minute, give or take per joint.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I think the stuff I'm using is 1/16th, we do have a really nice Miller mig welder but I don't know how good it would work with brakeline! Maybe ill pick some safety silv up and see how it works.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

that mig will work - just have to adjust it for the thickness of your material-
Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Hmm maybe ill just turn it way down and just use it to tack it together and then braze it solid
Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Brazing, is like soldering. Mig welding is actually fusing the metal together. - This is to say that you'd be better off tacking it together by brazing and then completing the weld with mig or wire fed - most people are using a wire feed flux core welder but they call it mig welding (a mig welder uses shielding gas and when you get it right it's one sweet weld - google for mig weld and you can get more complete info.
When I built my last project I used 1/4" bar stock, cut it to length and angle, brazed it together, and then mig'd it together - you end up with a nice solid frame when done right.
Hope this helps