Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Brazing Question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Brazing Question?

I've been brazing for about a year now and i ran into a problem today that has never happend before. The problem is,= I sand all the brazing points, then heat up the tubeing and brazing rod(the rod has flux on it already). It becomes red hot like it should, but when it ''flows" It only flows to one tube. Not the joint, just one tube. And i have Plenty of flux on it. Its very frusterating ( Nathan
west virginia krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

one tube is not as hot as the other. Or, one tube is not getting any flux off the rod. Try heating more on the side that's not taking the braze. Also make sure some flux fluid gets on both pieces.

What kinda torch you using?

The popping is proabably water like you said. I hate that.
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimbal View Post
one tube is not as hot as the other. Or, one tube is not getting any flux off the rod. Try heating more on the side that's not taking the braze. Also make sure some flux fluid gets on both pieces.

What kinda torch you using?

The popping is proabably water like you said. I hate that.

You no the weired thing is, i've done everything you just said. I even got my dad to try it and he got the same problem. And i dont get it because i've brazed a lot of things before and never had a problem. Theres plenty of flux on both tubes. Im useing a bernzomatic map gas torch. Yea that poping makes me so mad.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

...are both pieces from the same material stock? Maybe one is not quite as clean as the other?
Sometimes when this type of thing happens to me I try and lay some brazing on both pieces, then melt them together. Kinda like soldering wires to a motor.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimbal View Post
...are both pieces from the same material stock? Maybe one is not quite as clean as the other?
Sometimes when this type of thing happens to me I try and lay some brazing on both pieces, then melt them together. Kinda like soldering wires to a motor.
Yea its the same material.

And thats a good idea ill have to try that tomorrow, I just don't no why its doing that. O and i sand each end about the same, not exact but close. Thanks for the help, ill let you no if it works. Thanks
Old 08-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Is piece "A" part of the same tube as part "B?" (ie, same section of individual tubing?)

I have run across a couple of pieces of "bad" brakeline that simply wouldn't work as the others did. Just chalked it up to a bad piece and tossed it.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Is piece "A" part of the same tube as part "B?" (ie, same section of individual tubing?)

I have run across a couple of pieces of "bad" brakeline that simply wouldn't work as the others did. Just chalked it up to a bad piece and tossed it.
He stated above that it is from the same stock... I was thinking along the exact same lines as you Robb, I really cant think of anything else that could be causing it. Chuck the bad piece, start over.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

One thing to keep in mind, the first try is your best shot. Trying to braze 2 pieces together that have already been heated and fluxed is tough. Make sure you re-clean or grind away all the slag.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post

Ok i got 3, 5 ft pieces and ill try another piece. Thanks for the help guys, o and gimbal, i will try your method and tell you how it goes.