Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: More on Tuber Construction....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default More on Tuber Construction....

Quick tech thread here. I mentioned in another thread about "building a tuber right". A few people asked me what I meant when I said that. Well....

When you are building a tube chassis, be it 1:1 or 1:10- alot of the same rules apply. Strength is the main concern when designing and building a tube chassis, not just strength of the welds (which is important) but strength of the chassis as a whole.

I was told once, never let a tube end. That is the simplest rule when building strength into a tuber. When a tube ends, say half way through an adjoining tube, all the force will be placed on that single tube and in a crash situation; that tube will fail. Now if you continue that tube on, the force will be displaced throughout the whole chassis.. thus adding strength.

Here are some pics.

Picture of the chassis.

Now with colored lines drawn the illustrate my point.

With the lines drawn, you can see where all of the force would go if there was a crash. This chassis is not perfect. There are a few points where tubing ends (where the purple and blue come together on the side) But for the most part every color leads to a common point.

For me, this also helps the overall look of the chassis. It looks alot smoother and easier for my eye to follow.

Confused yet? good, now go build.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2007, 06:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks very good. I was curious how some do dual bends, such as on your main down hoops. Do you lay the piece over something to bend both at once. or do you do each side one at a time? In case thats not clear, I mean the bends from front to bach, not across the chassis.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Looks very good. I was curious how some do dual bends, such as on your main down hoops. Do you lay the piece over something to bend both at once. or do you do each side one at a time? In case thats not clear, I mean the bends from front to bach, not across the chassis.
I do them one at a time... then use the old eye ball trick to get them right. You can also pull out your angle finder for a more precise measurement.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

That looks pretty much indestructible. The X at the rear of the seats looks sweet
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

great info mr. pink and the illustration explains your comments very well.

It's interesting to see how others build or their out look on building tubers are.

I find it fasinating(sp) and you do build some nice tubers.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Very Nice work.
madbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #7

Very detailed work I must say. I tried that google sketchup it was hard as hell ,but fun.
curdogexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
great info mr. pink and the illustration explains your comments very well.

It's interesting to see how others build or their out look on building tubers are.

I find it fasinating(sp) and you do build some nice tubers.
Hey Double J, do you also bend your long tubes with multiple bends one at a time? if so, what do you use to make them even? Eyeball method? Angle finder? etc.

I eyeballed the entire tuber I built myself (and it came out decent), but the compound bends were minimal. I had two tubes that had 3 bends, everything else was 1-2 bends.
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Location: Ramstein Air Base Germany ...ya Ive been Ramshafted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post
Hey Double J, do you also bend your long tubes with multiple bends one at a time? if so, what do you use to make them even? Eyeball method? Angle finder? etc.

I eyeballed the entire tuber I built myself (and it came out decent), but the compound bends were minimal. I had two tubes that had 3 bends, everything else was 1-2 bends.
NOT TRYING TO HIJACK! Just bored at work

I use 2 different types of tube benders and different methods of trueing my frame as I build. Eyeball method and homebrew jigs and some other tools like levels and squars. I like to eyeball stuff mostly and then I check it, I know this is a somewhat backwards way of fabricating but its kinda an art way of doing it especialy if your building from the plans in your head and not paper.

Also I use different sizes of graph paper to do some of my stuff, if you look at my tuber build there is a couple of pics with the center piece of the frame outlined on the graph paper. Basicaly after measuring the tlt axles and looking up the regs on length / width/ hight for comp use I put it on the graph paper in pencil as a type of blue print in a way and then bend my tubing to fit the drawing. Then for other parts of the fram were I had to make a right and a left part I would bend one piece, eyeball it to see if it would work and look right and then take that piece and trace it on the graph paper and bend the second piece to fit that. It works for me so maybe that will help you !

Last edited by CCFBERG; 09-15-2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: add
CCFBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:39 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
I was told once, never let a tube end.
I've been building full scale drag car, 4x4, circle track chassis, roll bars, roll cages and other various 'tube' creations for 15 years. Most of it as a hobby, but for a while it was my occupation. I've been using that rule of thumb since day one but never had a good way to explain it to somebody else. That is brilliant! Thank you.
TunaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post

I make my long curved bends by moving slowly along the tube to get the curve i'm looking for.
On "normal bends" I do it one at a time and eye ball it. I also use an angle finder, a carpenters square and measuring tape to match parts if I've had to braze it before making it's match or just to make sure the body is square.

You'll never see a "perfect" tuber this size. You'll see little imperfections here and there. IMO..
I've had my hands on other's tubers than just my own and they have their own quarks.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
You'll never see a "perfect" tuber this size. You'll see little imperfections here and there. IMO..
I've had my hands on other's tubers than just my own and they have their own quarks.
correct. I tell people this all the time. In the pictures; they look perfect- get them in your paws, and you can tell this is off 1/32"-1/16" here or there. The good thing about crawlers is that is doesn't really matter. They are gonna get rolled off cliffs, flipped backwards over and over and over. On top of all that- they only go about 1.5mph, and never in a straight line.

As long as the suspension cycles nicely and everything fits- it will crawl. All the other work is just to make it look nice for pictures.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Yep what he said.

I had my hands on a couple "production" tubers and found all sorts of things on it, that I personally wouldn't have let go. But it works and that IS "the bottom line".
Old 09-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post

I use graph paper to do duplicates that way I can lay down the first one trace it out and then lay the next down, mark it and bend away! Also graph paper can help aslo if you ned to figure out angles, draw them out to scale and then bend your tubing accordingly, check out this thread and you will understande what I mean! This is my current build=

My Tuber build, Hydraulic Steering, Custom Hubs, Front Dig with Disk Brake, lots of p

Old 09-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I did let one tube "end". It didnt at first but I had to chop it to make room for something! Stay tuned I got tricks! he he
Old 09-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Oooops just realized I already posted on this ha ha!

Im all hopped up on mountain dew right now
Old 09-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #17

This is some great tech. I can't wait to get started on my AX tube frame.
Op4guy is offline   Reply With Quote