RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   Very small welder? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/83594-very-small-welder.html)

K.Gibson 09-02-2007 07:26 PM

Very small welder?

Does anyone make a welder small enough to fit on a table(2 1/2'x4') ?
I need something really small.

Thanks,
Kenny

Harley 09-02-2007 08:05 PM

Most welders will fit on that table. You can get a little MIG that will handle anything RC would ask from you for a couple hundred bucks.

Trikster 09-02-2007 08:45 PM

I have seen a few Lincoln wire-feeds that run on 110v that might work for you.

ON THE FARM 09-03-2007 01:13 AM

Are you looking for a stick or a wire feed?
do you want inexpencive or just small?
110v or 220v?

Natedog 09-03-2007 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 833874)
Most welders will fit on that table. You can get a little MIG that will handle anything RC would ask from you for a couple hundred bucks.

Yup and you'll want a wire feed 110v for the realy light rc use and it'll be cheaper.

K.Gibson 09-03-2007 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ON THE FARM (Post 834145)
Are you looking for a stick or a wire feed?
do you want inexpencive or just small?
110v or 220v?

Stick or wire feed - Don't really know what would best?
Inexpensive or small - Doesn't really matter just small.
110v or 220v - Doesn't really matter I can have either.

I have a wire feed welder (Flux Core)

http://www.chpower.com/chimages/Prod...00AV_large.jpg

I would really like to have something that I can hold the 2 pieces together and tack them. But you guys know what you are doing so bring on th info.

This is what I'm looking for, but i would like to find something alittle cheaper they are very expensive.
http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisp...64&cat=Welders

Thanks,
Kenny

dznutz 09-03-2007 02:58 PM

you weren't kidding... i was thinking 2-300...

theshimonator 09-03-2007 03:51 PM

Is stick welding no good for rc projects then?

Mikekx65 09-03-2007 05:24 PM

^^^ yep stick welders make a really strong weld if you know what your doing but there just not made to do small stuff.....a tig or wire feed is your best bet.

ON THE FARM 09-03-2007 10:56 PM

You should be able to use the one you have in the pic, maybe.
have you tried it on any chanemail?
if you used the smallest welding wire (i think it is .027)and connected the groung wire to a pair of needle-nose pliers and added a foot switch it might work.
they showed a set up like the on in tour link on DIRTY JOBS during SHARK WEEK. the guy was repairing a shark suit.
try it with the one you have and see how it works!

YoUnG_vErSiOn 09-04-2007 02:35 AM

http://weilerwelding.com/shopsite_sc.../MIL907301.jpg
miller passport 110 mig 1600.00
:lol:

K.Gibson 09-04-2007 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ON THE FARM (Post 835330)
You should be able to use the one you have in the pic, maybe.
have you tried it on any chanemail?
if you used the smallest welding wire (i think it is .027)and connected the groung wire to a pair of needle-nose pliers and added a foot switch it might work.
they showed a set up like the on in tour link on DIRTY JOBS during SHARK WEEK. the guy was repairing a shark suit.
try it with the one you have and see how it works!

No I haven't tried it on chainmail.
The machine uses Flux Core Wire does that matter?
How would I go about connecting the groud wire to a pair of needle-nose pliers and adding a foot switch?? ( Pictures or a Tutorial would help )
I have a foot switch, I got it from a friends garage, but it is made for tattooing, I have had it for a few years so I don't even know if it works.
But if it does work could I use it?

And I seen the shark week show when they fixed the chainmail, but didn't really get a good look at the setup he had. Does anyone have any pictures of the setup?

Thanks,
Kenny

JavelinSST390 09-04-2007 10:03 AM

The flux core wire makes for messier welds, but could work if you get it set right. The problem with most smaller/less expensive welders is their lack of a true voltage or "heat" control. Most just have a switch for "high" or "low" and you have to control the rest with the wire speed. It's nearly impossible to get set right, and you'll spend more time fighting the settings than welding. I have one of these type of welders. I've used it once, and it's sat on my shelf ever since. I hate it.

For a good welder for our purposes (and most light 1:1 bodywork type stuff) get a 120v, with an external shielding gas bottle set-up, and a rotary knob to control the welding voltage. (there should be two knobs on the front of the machine) You should be able to pick up a nice one set up this way for about $300, complete with a little cart, the bottle and regulater, and probably a few extra tips and an extra roll of wire.

Make sure you get one with a Tweco gun on it (much better, universal parts availability) or spring the extra $$$ for one if the unit you're looking at doesn't have one. I've been welding for a long time, Tweco is the only way to go.

K.Gibson 09-04-2007 10:45 AM

Would one of these do the trick?
They have 2 models to choose from.
HSW-15 (Welds up to 1/8")
HSW-25 (Welds up to 3/16")

HSW-15
http://www.hobartwelders.com/product...potwelder.jpeg

theshimonator 09-04-2007 11:10 AM

that's a spot welder. used for welding metal sheets or fomething to gether in just 1 small dot. you need a wire feed or something. that's not what you want.

K.Gibson 09-04-2007 11:54 AM

Yeah I know what they are used for, i was just wondering if it would work.
Does anyone have some info on what type of welder I should get?
I haven't welded any material this small before.

theshimonator 09-04-2007 12:15 PM

mig welder or tig. as statd above. please read before you post!

Easymoney 09-19-2007 09:54 PM

Very small welder?

Howdy,
When it comes to welding thin stuff like brake tube and light gauge metal it's hard to find a machine to do it. Your best bet would be a Tig Welder. You have so much more control over the output of the ark you are making with the welder. The problems you are going to have is the options you want on the machine for the type of metal you want to weld and then the price you pay for the different options. In order to Tig weld aluminum the machine has to have AC and High Frequency Output. Small Tig welders do not offer this. They can do DC + and DC - which is fine for steal. I think you are going to have a lot of trouble with trying to use a Mig welder. Unless you are a really good welder and know your weld settings well then you would probably be ok. I'm a Lincoln repair tech so I know a little about their welders. I think the Mid output will be to high for brake tube. As for wire size I would go with .025 and either gas sheilded or flux core would work. If you have a welding supply or dealer in your area I would go in and ask them to see what might be best and see if they have any used welders for sale. I hope my info has helped ya. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Later

Op4guy 09-21-2007 05:44 PM

As stated above if you want to be able to do aluminum you need a good machine to do it. I have gone through several welding machines over the last few years. I build a lot of Jeep parts from bumpers to rock sliders.

I favor lincolns personally. The new Lincolns have an input attachment for running an add on spool gun. The spool gun runs about $150 and makes it so you can do alu easily. Still you are talking about a $600+ set up for welding. Then take into account gas, tips and a good hood. I have a Miller hood that is over $200 but well worth it.

Olddude 09-24-2007 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.Gibson (Post 833837)
Does anyone make a welder small enough to fit on a table(2 1/2'x4') ?
I need something really small.

Thanks,
Kenny

Try a "Microflame (brand) #4200". Or another type of microflame setup. The other brands make their own browns gas from water and can get to 5000 degrees F. Plenty for welding and browns gas welds aluminum without too much oxidation because it has Hydrogen.