Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: wire feeding welder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default wire feeding welder?

what is a good but cheap one to do small sthings with. im looking on horbar freight but i dont know adsacly what im looking for. any sugestions?
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I have this welder, Its pretty cheap but its a pretty good piece for the price. I can weld tubing with it and just about everything else.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chicago-Electric...QQcmdZViewItem
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammok5 View Post
what is a good but cheap one to do small sthings with. im looking on horbar freight but i dont know adsacly what im looking for. any sugestions?
Ive been looking for the same thing...I was thinking maybe this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=55167
Bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

If you guys have any inkling that you might want to do bigger stuff in the future, seriously consider
a name brand (lLincoln, Miller, Hobart) 220V welder. Do you have 1:1 rigs or do any other kind of
motorsports (sandrails, hot rods, etc.)?

A good welder will last you decades and once you have one you'll be amazed how much you use it
to fab stuff, build specialty tools, do simple home projects, fix the neighbors lawn mower, etc.

If working with 220V is not easy for you (dryer connection can often be used) then consider a
quality 110V unit and the best you can afford. If you do much of any fab at all you'll quickly
find a quality welder very useful.

Also, consider looking ahead to gas conversion for MIG work which usually requires a bit more
power due to the cooling affect of the flowing gas.

Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktoy View Post
If you guys have any inkling that you might want to do bigger stuff in the future, seriously consider
a name brand (lLincoln, Miller, Hobart) 220V welder. Do you have 1:1 rigs or do any other kind of
motorsports (sandrails, hot rods, etc.)?

A good welder will last you decades and once you have one you'll be amazed how much you use it
to fab stuff, build specialty tools, do simple home projects, fix the neighbors lawn mower, etc.

If working with 220V is not easy for you (dryer connection can often be used) then consider a
quality 110V unit and the best you can afford. If you do much of any fab at all you'll quickly
find a quality welder very useful.

Also, consider looking ahead to gas conversion for MIG work which usually requires a bit more
power due to the cooling affect of the flowing gas.

Jay
Im just looking at this welder specifically for work on my RC cars. I dont have the money for a Miller right now but i am planning to purchase one next spring. This will just hold me over for the RC work till then. Ive already been making plans for a nice welder for my 1:1 rig (79 bronco, restoration in progress) Bu tthis wleder is purly for RC use.
Bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigman View Post
Im just looking at this welder specifically for work on my RC cars. I dont have the money for a Miller right now but i am planning to purchase one next spring. This will just hold me over for the RC work till then. Ive already been making plans for a nice welder for my 1:1 rig (79 bronco, restoration in progress) Bu tthis wleder is purly for RC use.
ive been reading alot and goodleing. id would just braze till sprin g and save your money. also get a gas compatable one. it keeps the oxygen away from the weld making a stronger weld. im just going to keep saving till i can get a decent namebrand one. till then il just buy some safty silver as i already have a tortch and flux
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Location: Ramstein Air Base Germany ...ya Ive been Ramshafted

The one you show is the re-furbished unit, I have the brand new unused version of that same unit I believe it is the 90 amp Easy Mig and it does just fine if you know how to use it. Ive used many different welders some very high end brands and some low end, your not going to beet the quality of a more expensive welder.....its just not possible! But for R/C and small home use it is just fine. You will have to pay more attention to what you are doing to make a nice clean weld with this thing, also there is a spray that keeps slag and other flux core welder crap from sticking to your work around what your welding. Its a repelant that you spray on and then weld away. Cant remember what it is called but you can find it at Napa Auto Parts stores, maybe Harbor Frieght, and other welding supply places.
CCFBERG is offline   Reply With Quote