Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Initial machine purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #101
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the great info it has definatley pointed me in the right direction as far as where to start and what look for when buying my own lathe and mill. I have wanted both for a number of years now but never followed through on either of them. I recently had a chance to borrough an emco unimat 3 to turn down some tlt shocks and now i am hooked for sure!

Last edited by crawlski; 07-03-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added picture
crawlski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
Here's my little shop ,Bought my machine's from Grizzly ,I made lots of parts for the quarter scale guy's and still do. I found, I enjoyed making parts and building winning cars more enjoyable,Than racin them,, I had to many trophies no more room for them,, Lots of A-main wins one championship,Had a great driver running my backup car,,, I have digital read out on one mill & lathe ,, My top suggestion most highest advice is to use Tap Magic tapping fliud for tapping all holes in aluimun ,KMS
Great looking set-up. Until a few years ago, I had access to a real machine shop (I was friends with the R&D shop head dude) and could do what I wanted.
Now I have a decent heavy duty drill press and a so-so lathe. The lathe needs some work, the drill press can't really do milling without some money spent.

When you say "grizzly", I assume this is a forum member? If not, please follow up.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Grizzly a brand. I think they have a couple locations across the USA, with one being right up the freeway from me in Bellingham, WA....they make nice machines, though some are just rebranded chinese stuff. Good prices too.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #104

Didnt notice, but I get all my end mills and measuring tools from MSC Industry.
rockslide24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #105
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Initial machine purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockslide24 View Post
Didnt notice, but I get all my end mills and measuring tools from MSC Industry.
Good choice alro industries is another place our business gets end mills and other tooling.
foratm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #106

i have used one and it is great it did everything i needed and more i wish i had one at my house to use all the time you can do anything with it i have made some nice stuff with it and its not to hard to use
gixxer6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #107
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlski View Post
Thanks for all the great info it has definatley pointed me in the right direction as far as where to start and what look for when buying my own lathe and mill. I have wanted both for a number of years now but never followed through on either of them. I recently had a chance to borrough an emco unimat 3 to turn down some tlt shocks and now i am hooked for sure!
This would be prefect for the stuff I like to do.

Cool machine for sure!

Anyone know any other company that makes 3-1 ^ that size ?
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #108
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Anyone know any other company that makes 3-1 ^ that size ?
Most of them seem larger than that now, but I saw this Sherline awhile ago and thought it was a nice size:

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #109
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
Got a link, I will prob end up going with a tormach mill.
Quote:
Thanks, that's too large for me, I gonna have fun trying to get my tormach to fit .
I love my 770...I really can't imagine being without it now.

I just spent the day making these. Trying to fit time in at work was becoming a problem, and I really didn't want anyone knowing what I was doing, so the 770 in the basement (I mean Underground Lair ) has been perfect:

Here you can see why I have my homemade enclosure. It makes a mess, but it's easily contained:

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 02-29-2012 at 05:39 PM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #110
RCC Addict

Wow Juan now I want a Tormach more and more Looks like you just need a few more and you got a full blown shop going

I can vouch for the Littlemachineshop.com Hi-Torque mill. Its a Seig SX2 with a few extra goodies (brushless drive motor/belt drive), slightly increased travels and no red nasty GOOK to get off! My friend got one for a CNC conversion and we have just messed around on it as a manual machine and its NICE

Few notes: the rotating base is... crap! Littlemachineshop was trying to get a rigid one but im not sure whats up with that?
It will fit a 4" vise, maybe even 2 if your lucky (that's what were doing )
It has 12MM t-slots but you can buy t-nuts that fit it (I think 7/16" is a very close fit)
Its pretty powerful for its size and can make mincemeat of aluminum with a "roughing" end mill.
The end mill rating was in aluminum I think but it can cut stuff so that's a mood point!
Keep an eye on the screws for the gibbs. They like to vibrate loose and your wondering why the machine is sloppy all of a sudden (happened to me!) but its nothing some thread locker or split lock washers can't fix
It has an R8 spindle taper so you can use anything made for bridgeports... I know some have done TTS tooling and power drawbars but i haven't ventured into all that fun yet

Overall for a small mill I rate it pretty high for being what it is. I think with a little help (mostly bracing it a little more) you got one nice little machine capable of working on stuff. And at 120 lbs (or so) its light enough that 2 people can move it... I mean 2 people
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #111
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Wow Juan now I want a Tormach more and more Looks like you just need a few more and you got a full blown shop going

I can vouch for the Littlemachineshop.com Hi-Torque mill. Its a Seig SX2 with a few extra goodies (brushless drive motor/belt drive), slightly increased travels and no red nasty GOOK to get off! My friend got one for a CNC conversion and we have just messed around on it as a manual machine and its NICE

Few notes: the rotating base is... crap! Littlemachineshop was trying to get a rigid one but im not sure whats up with that?
It will fit a 4" vise, maybe even 2 if your lucky (that's what were doing )
It has 12MM t-slots but you can buy t-nuts that fit it (I think 7/16" is a very close fit)
Its pretty powerful for its size and can make mincemeat of aluminum with a "roughing" end mill.
The end mill rating was in aluminum I think but it can cut stuff so that's a mood point!
Keep an eye on the screws for the gibbs. They like to vibrate loose and your wondering why the machine is sloppy all of a sudden (happened to me!) but its nothing some thread locker or split lock washers can't fix
It has an R8 spindle taper so you can use anything made for bridgeports... I know some have done TTS tooling and power drawbars but i haven't ventured into all that fun yet

Overall for a small mill I rate it pretty high for being what it is. I think with a little help (mostly bracing it a little more) you got one nice little machine capable of working on stuff. And at 120 lbs (or so) its light enough that 2 people can move it... I mean 2 people
I made a rear backet and side adjuster for my LMS mill, they have a soild version now, and are working on getting the parts to convert tilting ones to a solid version.
I have a 4" vise and 4" rotarty table mounted on mine at the same time
And for the loosening gibs screws buy the locking ones -
LittleMachineShop.com - Set Screw, M6x22 Socket Dog Point Self Locking=
I bought this LittleMachineShop.com - Tweaks & Enhancements Kit, Mini Mill= and was told by Chris Wood to put a note that it was for the LMS mill , as they would include extra set screws for free?

Last edited by Joat; 03-01-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Quote:
I made a rear backet and side adjuster for my LMS mill, they have a soild version now, and are working on getting the parts to convert tilting ones to a solid version.
I have a 4" vise and 4" rotarty table mounted on mine at the same time
And for the loosening gibs screws buy the locking ones -
LittleMachineShop.com - Set Screw, M6x22 Socket Dog Point Self Locking=
I bought this LittleMachineShop.com - Tweaks & Enhancements Kit, Mini Mill= and was told by Chris Wood to put a note that it was for the LMS mill , as they would include extra set screws for free?
Thanks for the heads up on that! I will keep that in mind for the next time I head there to spend more $ Ill get some pics later of it rocking 2 vises just for kicks.

In the meantime I may equip it with a screw fed Z-axis to get rid of the awful rack and pinion/"fine feed" stuff... in my book its junk coming from the land of Bridgeports and quills
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #113
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Thanks for the heads up on that! I will keep that in mind for the next time I head there to spend more $ Ill get some pics later of it rocking 2 vises just for kicks.

In the meantime I may equip it with a screw fed Z-axis to get rid of the awful rack and pinion/"fine feed" stuff... in my book its junk coming from the land of Bridgeports and quills
LMK how that goes, I did the Frank Hoose air spring conversion on mine too, that makes a world of difference
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote