Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Welders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 04:16 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Welders

I am in a family run welding business, and have sold machines and equipment for years. Thermal arc makes a hell of a machine, and for the price and warranty your get, nothing tops it. Miller Electric is putting a lot of plastic in there machines. With Thermal you get high quality steel driver roll system, even the casters are beefed up. You also get a 5 year warranty. I also would recommend Lincoln Electric, They have the best drive roll system in the business!!

I welded this trailer for rock crawling with my Thermal 210!

Name:  welded 2.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  welded 3.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  60.4 KB

Name:  welded trailer.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  56.6 KB
crawlbe4youwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2007, 04:22 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Raptor man,
The weld paks that home depot and lowes sell have the cheap drive roll system in them. That is how they keep the cost down to a minimum. We sell the lincolns with the premium drive system, and it makes a world of difference. If your doing oight gauge material here is what I recommend!

.023-0.30 size wire

light gauge welding gas, Argon/Co2/Oxygen mix

USE GAS!! Flux core is a pain, and you will hate it, unless u use gas with it!

Hope this helps, and remember if you buy a disposable welder, ( Cambell Hausfield, Snap on) you will regret it in the long run.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #23
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlbe4youwalk View Post
Raptor man,
The weld paks that home depot and lowes sell have the cheap drive roll system in them. That is how they keep the cost down to a minimum. We sell the lincolns with the premium drive system, and it makes a world of difference. If your doing oight gauge material here is what I recommend!

.023-0.30 size wire

light gauge welding gas, Argon/Co2/Oxygen mix

USE GAS!! Flux core is a pain, and you will hate it, unless u use gas with it!

Hope this helps, and remember if you buy a disposable welder, ( Cambell Hausfield, Snap on) you will regret it in the long run.
I know the ones you buy at Lowes/Home Depot are cheaper units. From my experience.....with ANY Lincoln MIG welder.....I wouldn't have one. I've tried a couple of their higher end Migs.....not impressed at all.

Normally at home,I use .030 wire and .035 at times. I won't even bother with Flux wire. I have 2 bottles I use at home for gas. I keep 1 bottle with a 75/25 mix and the other is a 90/10 mix.

Now that I'm working at a fab/machine shop,I rarely fire my welders up anymore. I usually just build my stuff at work.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

The good use for flux cored wires with gas adds strength, less spatter, better penatration, and you can weld vertical up with it.

90/10 mixture is a great gas used for metal cored wires. I suggest a tri mix for less spatter, and improved welding arc!

Last edited by Reflection; 12-23-2007 at 10:04 PM. Reason: merged 2 threads.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #25
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlbe4youwalk View Post
The good use for flux cored wires with gas adds strength, less spatter, better penatration, and you can weld vertical up with it.

90/10 mixture is a great gas used for metal cored wires. I suggest a tri mix for less spatter, and improved welding arc!
I've never had an issue getting enough heat from the 300 amp machine I normally use at work.

If I want less splatter,I'll just TIG it

Good info though
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote