RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   Bending aluminum arrows (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/9103-bending-aluminum-arrows.html)

JohnRobHolmes 05-02-2005 10:28 PM

Bending aluminum arrows

i saw in the ti discussion references to bending ti tubes by filling it with sand. would this work well for aluminum as well or would it try and tear? i think the arrows are Easton 7044 aluminum, but i dont remember. it would be useful to make some arrow shaft high clearance links.

Unruely 05-03-2005 08:43 AM

Having delt with arrows alot. It can be done, but the bends would have to be gradual. The aluminum in arrows doesn't take sharp bends well, due to it's temper..

BENDER 05-03-2005 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
i saw in the ti discussion references to bending ti tubes by filling it with sand. would this work well for aluminum as well or would it try and tear? i think the arrows are Easton 7044 aluminum, but i dont remember. it would be useful to make some arrow shaft high clearance links.

7000 series alum won't like being bent too much, without cracking. It can be done to an extent, I would use sand and gradual bends.

You could anneal it, by heating it with a torch in the area you want to bend. But, it will remain softer in the area you anneal.

JohnRobHolmes 05-03-2005 11:57 AM

thanks guys. thats kinda what i thought. i would like some fatty high clearance links for my top secret project. if i took a tumble i bet they would tear at the bend

bigfoot 05-03-2005 12:18 PM

just make some from 5/16 6061 T6 ;-) i did and i had to bend them with a slege hammer :lol: go to your local machine shop and they will lathe them for likw 10$ :)

Jeepjunky 05-03-2005 04:00 PM

Any of the Tool outlet stores, Harbor Freight or National type, should sell inexpensive tubing benders for auto brake lines. I wouldn't think they would cost more than about $10. They are made in different sizes and radius.

triaxmaster 05-03-2005 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepjunky
Any of the Tool outlet stores, Harbor Freight or National type, should sell inexpensive tubing benders for auto brake lines. I wouldn't think they would cost more than about $10. They are made in different sizes and radius.

Dont buy tubing benders from harbor they are not quality enough to handle many bends before they get all loose and sloppy ... i have used many of them over the years . if your going to be doing any amount of bending spend the cash and get a good pair from snapon or matco or Napa somplace that sells good tools . they are a little more expensive but they will last alot longer and you wont have crooked bends

JohnRobHolmes 05-04-2005 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triaxmaster
Dont buy tubing benders from harbor they are not quality enough to handle many bends before they get all loose and sloppy ... i have used many of them over the years . if your going to be doing any amount of bending spend the cash and get a good pair from snapon or matco or Napa somplace that sells good tools . they are a little more expensive but they will last alot longer and you wont have crooked bends

i heard that. i got a cheap one from ace and it was toast in a few days. i bent that damn bender bending metal.