Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Bending aluminum arrows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Bending aluminum arrows

i saw in the ti discussion references to bending ti tubes by filling it with sand. would this work well for aluminum as well or would it try and tear? i think the arrows are Easton 7044 aluminum, but i dont remember. it would be useful to make some arrow shaft high clearance links.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2005, 08:43 AM   #2

Having delt with arrows alot. It can be done, but the bends would have to be gradual. The aluminum in arrows doesn't take sharp bends well, due to it's temper..
Unruely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
i saw in the ti discussion references to bending ti tubes by filling it with sand. would this work well for aluminum as well or would it try and tear? i think the arrows are Easton 7044 aluminum, but i dont remember. it would be useful to make some arrow shaft high clearance links.
7000 series alum won't like being bent too much, without cracking. It can be done to an extent, I would use sand and gradual bends.

You could anneal it, by heating it with a torch in the area you want to bend. But, it will remain softer in the area you anneal.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:57 AM   #4

thanks guys. thats kinda what i thought. i would like some fatty high clearance links for my top secret project. if i took a tumble i bet they would tear at the bend
Old 05-03-2005, 12:18 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

just make some from 5/16 6061 T6 i did and i had to bend them with a slege hammer go to your local machine shop and they will lathe them for likw 10$
bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:00 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Any of the Tool outlet stores, Harbor Freight or National type, should sell inexpensive tubing benders for auto brake lines. I wouldn't think they would cost more than about $10. They are made in different sizes and radius.
Jeepjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:14 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepjunky
Any of the Tool outlet stores, Harbor Freight or National type, should sell inexpensive tubing benders for auto brake lines. I wouldn't think they would cost more than about $10. They are made in different sizes and radius.
Dont buy tubing benders from harbor they are not quality enough to handle many bends before they get all loose and sloppy ... i have used many of them over the years . if your going to be doing any amount of bending spend the cash and get a good pair from snapon or matco or Napa somplace that sells good tools . they are a little more expensive but they will last alot longer and you wont have crooked bends
triaxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by triaxmaster
Dont buy tubing benders from harbor they are not quality enough to handle many bends before they get all loose and sloppy ... i have used many of them over the years . if your going to be doing any amount of bending spend the cash and get a good pair from snapon or matco or Napa somplace that sells good tools . they are a little more expensive but they will last alot longer and you wont have crooked bends

i heard that. i got a cheap one from ace and it was toast in a few days. i bent that damn bender bending metal.