Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: centering the hole on links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default centering the hole on links

i was making my own links and i did everything and then it came time to drill the hole the only problem is i dont have a drill press i only have a hand drill and i drilled like 4 links both sides and i cant get the hole centerd on any of them and itn not just a little off its way to one side i tried 8 times and i couldnt get one to work,. Any help for using a hand drill and getting it centerd?

i am using a vice to hold the links thanks
jwilli2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
RCC Addict

It is definitely tricky with a hand drill. A vise, a center punch, and a steady hand are all needed.............but mine were always off also.

I switched over to using 8-32 allthread and 1/4" brakeline and haven't had to mess with it since.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
RCC Addict

That's why we use thick-walled seamless aluminum tubing. Holes are pre-centered for you, plus it's much lighter than all-thread and brakeline sleeving...
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

about the aluminum tube.... 1/4" X .045 wall i believe... then tap it to 8-32 and use revo ends
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDEcrawlerguy View Post
about the aluminum tube.... 1/4" X .045 wall i believe... then tap it to 8-32 and use revo ends

where can i get this iv been to all the home depots and lowes and i cant find it all the tube they have it way bigger like an inch and up they have 1/4 in alum rods but not tubes
jwilli2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilli2213 View Post
where can i get this iv been to all the home depots and lowes and i cant find it all the tube they have it way bigger like an inch and up they have 1/4 in alum rods but not tubes
Does McMaster sell this? Can someone post a link to what is used?
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
~THE SCALE SHOP~

yep mcmaster does, in fact if you go to the tech link on the main RCC pages theres actually a link on how to make them and a link to mcmasters site on which tubing to buy ;) its old
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
RCC Addict

SS That's not the same tubing... I'm looking for the tubing that can be tapped 8-32... The tubing in that post is just a sleeve for 6-32 and it's no longer available either.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #9

I use 3/16 brakeline and 6/32 allthread with t-maxx rod ends. use a 1/8 drill bit and tap out the rod end hole. then screw the rod end on one side mount to axle and measure out the length you need. take in consideration the second rod end. once you have made your cuts screw on the second rod end and mount them and adjust till you get the desired length. after that measure your gap for the brakeline then cut. you may have to aug out the brakeline where you cut it for the allthread to fit through smooth. I like the brakeline because it is harder than aluminum. aluminum is shinny but bends easily. if you want bent links just make you link longer and then use a 3/16 tubing bender to make your high clearance links. I get my allthread from lowes and brakline from my local autoparts store. this my take you a few tries to get it perfect but its a lot cheaper to build then buy plus i change my setup often until i get the results i want. i hope this will help.
whjdm069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #10

One of my buddies was telling me that he used solid 1/4" aluminum rod and found some tubing to slide over the rod with minimal clearance. Then put tubing inside of the first piece decreasing the size until he got down to the size for the drill bit. Drilled and tapped the rod then used a screw and blue threadlock tightened it down. Cut off the head of the screw leaving the exposed threads for the rod end.
blue95xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
I lost my vendor privileges

i use 6/32 allthread and 1/4" brakeline for sleeving. the weight i like. it puts it close to the ground were you need it.
just chuck allthread in drill,hold ball end with hand,screw it in until you cant hold it anymore with hand,usually deep enough then,now turn around,chuck ballend into drill now,slide brakeling over allthread,now screw it into other ball end until tight. done. i can make a set of 8 links in about 30 min that way.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
SS That's not the same tubing... I'm looking for the tubing that can be tapped 8-32... The tubing in that post is just a sleeve for 6-32 and it's no longer available either.
You'll want McMaster-Carr P/N 89965K233 or 89965K44.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Thanks CPE MT.... That's what I was looking for.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Ok before I got my lathe I built a jig for drilling the solid rod. First take a small piece of 1/2 plate or flat bar stock. Use a 1/4 "Bullet" bit with the pilot. Drill almost all the way through the plate. Finish off drilling through the plate with the size drill you need for your tap. Then put your 1/4 rod into the 1/4" hole you drilled, then drill the rod from the other side with the tap bit. The hole should be centered in the rod.
I will post up some pics tomorrow, if I get a chance.
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:14 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Ok before I got my lathe I built a jig for drilling the solid rod. First take a small piece of 1/2 plate or flat bar stock. Use a 1/4 "Bullet" bit with the pilot. Drill almost all the way through the plate. Finish off drilling through the plate with the size drill you need for your tap. Then put your 1/4 rod into the 1/4" hole you drilled, then drill the rod from the other side with the tap bit. The hole should be centered in the rod.
I will post up some pics tomorrow, if I get a chance.
Good one !!
nomobux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #16
RCC Addict

All thread and tubing is all you need. Get the desired thickness of all-thread and tubing to go over it. I've done this with 3/8" tubing, 1/4" tubing, and even 1/2" tubing and never could bend or break the links. It's so much easier than drilling and tapping plus it holds up just fine.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

you won't find your 1/4 .045 aluminum tubing at big hardware stores likes Lowes
try a large Ace Hardware or similiar a few good hobby shops carry to.

I had to drive across bay 40 min to get mine

Go with Mcaster

I would say try using Delrin, but you never know if your getting the REAL Delrin that's the tuff stuff, cuase the cheapo and good stuff look almost identical

to center use calipers or use a exacto knife to get the center started, use small bit then go bigger
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote