Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Carbon Fiber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Carbon Fiber

I am currently planning out a 2.2 tuber build and see that most rigs have some type of metal skid under them; aluminum or stainless sheet. I am also in the learning phase of carbon fiber and wondered if anyone else has had any experience with it.

I plan to build my skid out of 4-6mm molded carbon fiber sheet. I will make my mold out of some extra foam (blue exterior house wrap) I have laying around; glued and cut to form the carbon fiber.
  • First thing I thought I should maybe do is cover the foam in something like a iron on film; the same thing used on r/c aircrafts. This should make for a good smooth surface for the carbon fiber to mold to.
  • Then a good cleaning and waxing(PVA) should be in order to ensure easy removal of the finished product from the mold.
  • Next to be done is applying the epoxy and hardener over the fabric.
  • Lastly after it has cured should be finishing the product and applying resin until desired finish is reached.
This information is from research I have done randomly searching the internet. I found a couple videos on youtube also. I am definitely a novice at this and would greatly appreciate any help you guys may have.

Thanks!
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The only thing I see going wrong with carbon fiber for a skid is that the stuff shatters. There is only so much give depending on the thickness and then it just breaks and there really is no way to repair it.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Paging Mike Poulson... Mike Poulson.... (he is the CF/Fiberglass guru)

Any reason why you are going with CF for a skidplate? If it is a solid flat piece delrin would be a much more simple and better performing choice. CF tends to splinter and gouge causing unneeded hang ups.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
Paging Mike Poulson... Mike Poulson.... (he is the CF/Fiberglass guru)

Any reason why you are going with CF for a skidplate? If it is a solid flat piece delrin would be a much more simple and better performing choice. CF tends to splinter and gouge causing unneeded hang ups.

p!nK
Well...

The reason for using CF is its molding abilities. CF is a tough durable material that can be molded basically indefinitely. The skid would have the angle sides like most. That is the reason for making the mold. In my research it appears that the right amount of resin could create a thick barrier also giving it good skidding abilities thus preventing splintering. As far as gouging that has yet to be tested. I am sure the resin would gouge as easy or possibly easier than aluminum.

Thanks P!nky....
Old 01-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
RCC Addict

In our dealings with carbon fiber, it's great stuff for chassis siedplates and upper 4-link mounts.

My concern with using it as a skid plate is the fact that it does gouge easily, leading to delamination of the layers and finally a failure of the part. We used to provide lower 4-links made from CF on our Clod race chassis, but switched to machined aluminum to ensure these would survive repeated landings in loose dirt/rocks.

My vote would be for a 1/4" delrin skidplate. It's simple to machine (ie. the angled edges) and is proven to slide smoothly over rocks, something which CF definately does not.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
My vote would be for a 1/4" delrin skidplate. It's simple to machine (ie. the angled edges) and is proven to slide smoothly over rocks, something which CF definately does not.

Delrin apparently seems to be the optimum material to manufacture the skid out of. My only concern is the cost of a Delrin block at least 1.5" thick machined down to the 1/4 inch thicket basket type skid I am looking for. I haven't even priced Delrin lately but I do know that carbon fiber isn't cheap either, ie. a Kevlar mix.

Trick.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have noticed that if you sand your finished part and remove the epoxy outer layer so your into the cloth you get a more gouge resistance surface and may slide pretty good.
You can add more layers of fabric at points that need to wear on the bottom.
1 layer of Kevlar in the mix may help with big impacts but I would think the carbon would be tough enough by itself.

Plan you layup so it is strong and thick enough in the right areas.
3-4 layers of 3k carbon would be pretty tough.

I would use the foam for a plug and make a plaster mold off it.

Mike
Mike Poulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I don't know if you plan on drilling and tapping the CF but in my experance it won't hold a thread.It is also horribly abrassive and eats drills and saws.Delrin is cheap and ez to cut,holds a thread pretty well. Delrin is a copyrighted name for Acetal,so try searching for black Acetal this is slightly harder than the white stuff. My MSC catolog sells a 12 by 12 by 1.5 thick piece for $137.61 on page 1782.They are online. C F would look cooler !
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote