Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Tools and supplies

Notices

Thread: 3D print files

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 3D print files

I looked around but did not see if anyone had started collecting object files yet. A buddy just bought a printer and has made it clear that anything i want printed he will happily do for the cost of the filament. That of course has gotten the old wheels to turning on what I need for my RCs.

Personally I am looking for a SBF (302 or 351w with EFI) with/without trans, and a driver figure. If anyone has some files they care to share post em up. I know there are guys on here who are producing parts for sale and I am in no means asking them to share trade secrets, but for a none interested in trading files I say lets post them up. also if a thread already exist for this just point me to it, again i did not see anything.

I found this Chevy file which is really detailed and would make a great addition to a build.
Engine GM 350 V8 Turbo 3D CAD Model Download | 3D CAD Browser
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 3D print files

Given the amount of time it takes to build a 3D model with the detail such as the engine that you linked to, and not counting the cost of good 3D modeling software, I'd be really surprised if anyone would be willing to just GIVE away files like that. As 3D printing becomes more mainstream, many people don't have any idea at what is actually involved in the creation of complex, detailed 3D models.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Funny, seems like there is a large amount of free complex file on sites such as thingiverse and youmagine. Maybe you should alert those contributers that shouldn't share.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
Scale Detail Engineering

One of the issues is a properly set-up model for printing takes a bit more time.
That model in the link would not print as is (at least that's my opinion with a quick glance).

I've thought about teaming up with someone with a printer to make an offering... I had a printer but didn't care for the quality.
But recently, I've been thinking of just opening a shapways store...
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

See this is new to me, so are saying there too much detail and that this would be a difficult print?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

A plain old 3d model is not just ready to print when it's done. It has to be drawn specifically and in such a way that the printer is able to do what your asking if it. Otherwise you get blobs or funny things that you didn't expect which then require further clean-up.

3d printing and model making is way more complicated then it might at first seem, and far worse when you get into highly detailed stuff like that.
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I am willing to work with people who are interested in prototyping up items with a 3D printer.

One thing I will say is that items NEED to be done in pieces for various reasons. Partly for warping and partly for print ability. Most 3D printers hate overhangs and "bridging" where it has to span a gap. Sure it can be done but it isn't always pretty hence sanding is involved plus if something goes wrong on a print it is easier to re-do a small piece vs a whole model. I speak from experience there

Other thing is software. Sure you can make files in Google Sketchup but they ALWAYS have some kind of problem with the exported files. I have had holes show up as empty on Sketchup only to my horror to find they printed shut or had some mysterious triangle in there. It is a mess! Besides the fact that their software "thinks" it knows 3D printing...

Here are a few models I have printed. Unless otherwise noted I made the files.
Multi-piece model train model.

Custom steering wheel a friend designed and asked for

Thunderbird 2 model from Thingiverse with support material underneath.
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:39 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Very cool stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
Funny, seems like there is a large amount of free complex file on sites such as thingiverse and youmagine. Maybe you should alert those contributers that shouldn't share.
If they want to spend the time to build complex models then give the files away, that's on them.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
RCC Addict

And I said if anyone wants to. I didn't say you had to share them, only if you want to. Stop looking for a fight were one isn't needed.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #11
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
I am willing to work with people who are interested in prototyping up items with a 3D printer.
In!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
In!
being a machinist I think 3D printing is great since in a few hours you can have a physical model for a few $$. Usually ill set my printer up when I leave the house, check the filament won't bind and then off to work or run errands or go to bed I go. Come back and 95% of the time my print is done
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Any idea if a set of better honcho bedsides would be possible? Ones that were as tall as the bottom of the cab windows to the bottom of the body,and maybe have a body line over the wheel wells like a real tacoma. dinky's were good,just didnt do much for me.
Ive been dreaming this up for a while,i just dont know how to run a 3d printer
gearhead79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
And I said if anyone wants to. I didn't say you had to share them, only if you want to. Stop looking for a fight were one isn't needed.
I'm nowhere near looking for a fight. I simply shared an opinion. Apparently there are lots of folks willing to share their work with others. I never took what you were asking for as a demand. I'm preparing to make detailed models for a living. I can't imagine a prospective employer that would want to give away files that they paid someone to create.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:58 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

took me hours to design a jeep 4.0l i6 and im not willing to just share it. the bore being at 10mm and the block being as long as 84mm and 14 mm wide.. lets see if this 130 dolars from shapeways is even worth the print.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:16 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Ok I'm in I've already printed a bunch of stiff.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
oldcoopdog is offline   Reply With Quote

3D print files - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D print possible? greenjk Tools, and Procedures 10 11-04-2014 09:04 PM
Print your own rc parts? RusT808 Chit Chat 16 11-27-2011 10:45 AM
Print Magazines John Galbreath Jr. Newbie General 11 11-03-2009 10:49 AM
Fun at the print shop... FrankyRizzo Chit Chat 53 07-04-2009 02:10 PM
Need someone who can print score sheets Etype R Minnesota 5 06-16-2009 05:35 AM