Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Other CVD's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2005, 12:57 AM   #1

Default Other CVD's?

Hi, I didn't know if I should of put this in the newbie or here, but since it's more of a emaxx ? I decided to put it here. I have been lurking around this sight for a little while now and decided to try my own rcrawler. Unfortunately most of the helpful threads on this site, don't have the pics in the thread anymore. I also unfortunately don't have any really nice tools (like milling machine, lathe, or drill press) which is embarrassing since I have a apprentice degree in machining.
So, since I really don't have any tools to fabricate my own design, I decided to stay as stock as possible without doing any modification. I started out with a stock emaxx, put diff spools F&R, put in a Blue Bird High Torque steering servo with the proline servo saver and lowered the gearing by putting in the 72t spur.
This worked out OK, but the short wheelbase and low ground clearance drastically hinders the capability's.
I want to make a crawler that will climb steps and still be as stock as possible. As in "stock" I mean be able to modify it without drilling any holes or any other drastic modification. So I started to rebuild my Emaxx with links. I used extra steering links I had and reversed the bulkheads so I had extra mounting points. After much trial and error I found a mount set up that achieved approx. 90' of articulation and it used all stock emaxx holes. I used a stock tmaxx chassis, mounted the shocks upside down from the last two holes on the chassis to the highest two holes on the bulkhead (where the bumper mounts go). I then mounted the four steering links to the lower ladder bars and mounted two of them to the skidplate mounting holes and two to a screw I threaded through were the cross brace normally goes. Unfortunately the wheelbase was to long for the standard driveshaft. I tried putting the center shaft and a wheel shaft together but the two joints caused a drooping effect in the driveline. I don't think the Revo shaft will work either because it's about the same size as the emaxx.

So my ? is where could I find a longer telescoping driveshaft?

Once I find some driveshafts, all I'll have to do is figure out a way to mount the steering servos.

Are there any other suggestions I should look into?
I have read that the EVX is also quite finicky, but I haven't really noticed to big of a problem. It will crawl if you add the baby touch to the trigger. I am more worried about suspension right now.
Are there any other places to find crawling parts for the emaxx?
Also, what happened to the crawler store? The site doesn't seem to work
Rockin' The Free World is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2005, 01:17 AM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

Welcome to the site.

As far as the driveshafts go, you can extend Revo shafts quite a bit. I extended mine by cutting off the male splined shaft, so you just have the splined shaft without the u-joint. Then I inserted that into a female half shaft and glued it with CA. Then use another female half shaft, with the new glued shaft, to connect the tranny to the axles. You'll need to buy a few extra pieces aside from the complete Revo shaft, but it's still fairly cheap and they are super light and very BEEFY.

My rear driveshaft measures 7" completely assembled with u-joints and it could easily have been longer if I needed it.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:07 AM   #3

Good Idea! Thanks I may try it with my tmaxx shafts first just to get an idea of the length.
Rockin' The Free World is offline   Reply With Quote