Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Clod-like maxx axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Clod-like maxx axles

Just as food for thought. Has any one considered getting two stampede or r2 transmissions and attaching them via universal joints directly to the axles? There would be no mechanical connection between the front and rear drivetrains ( other than suspension) and then you could set it up like a clod as far as electronics go. And no torque twist!:-P
tanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Hmm.. someone tried that with axial axles, and a axial tranny (mighta been a AE tranny) dont know if they ever got it finished though...

it could be done... but remember the maxx diffs are 6mm, and a stampede tranny is 5mm outputs... you would have to use a maxx tranny or rc4wd has some adapters that go from 5mm to 6mm
and vice versa... but i would say use a stealth tranny or an axial just because they're smaller
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
MWRCA'er

Yeah I've seen it done several times. I still have yet to see one that was entirely effective in comparison to other axle options.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've got pics of an associated home built monster truck made of two RC10 gold chassis rearends. Been done, but no one seems to make a comp crawler out of them.,... usually just bashers/monster trucks. Gear ratio problem? Probably not with the new motors.
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
it could be done... but remember the maxx diffs are 6mm, and a stampede tranny is 5mm outputs... you would have to use a maxx tranny or rc4wd has some adapters that go from 5mm to 6mm
The t-maxx has 5mm output shafts on its transmission so I can buy those universals and couple them to e-maxx trans outdrives (6mm) to adapt the axial/r2/stealth/stampede trans to the axles.

With the old style short suspension on the maxx axles they are not much wider than clod axles and with no driveshafts or center transmission perhaps a stick or pimp cane chassis could be used. I'm just thinking of trying to build a super with the axles I have and not spend $200 on a clodbuster kit, then spend $200 upgrading the axles when I could buy a pair of axial trans and make axles that are almost as good and have more center clearance.
tanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

[quote=tanmonster;1212501]The t-maxx has 5mm output shafts on its transmission so I can buy those universals and couple them to e-maxx trans outdrives (6mm) to adapt the axial/r2/stealth/stampede trans to the axles.

ya sorry about that i just measured a tmaxx tranny,the older style, and i was like wtf.. they are 5mm. i thought an Emaxx and tmaxx were the same size outputs.. oops

is the newer model Tmaxx 5mm or 6mm? i know the E maxx is 6mm...
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:18 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i've done it with clod diff centres, using revo drive shafts and knuckles, though i did have widemaxx cvd's and knuckles on for a while (the problem with them was it was 20in wide)

and these work very well for me, i've won 3 out of 4 comps this year with them and the one i got 2nd in i had the stock clod axles

it's also got moab xl's on it now, the mudslingers were just a set i was trying and didn't like
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote