RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-crawlers/)
-   -   Any one use a 60/40 split axle or 70/30??? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-crawlers/15138-any-one-use-60-40-split-axle-70-30-a.html)

Jeeprockcrawler 09-01-2005 07:23 PM

Any one use a 60/40 split axle or 70/30???

I am looking to lay my transmission down sideways to lower the CG. But to do that way the axle would have to be a 70/30 split axle. So my real question is: If I do that with a maxx diff will my articulation suffer or is there something I may not be thinking about? TIA

John

TwistedCreations 09-01-2005 09:04 PM

why not keep the diff in the center? my trans is laid down and it offsets the driveshafts also. I do not have any binding at all.. also, Old Dog has his maxx tranny turned sideways in his TXT and has no problems either. ohh and to think of it, JIA has it turned also :mrgreen: so as you see alot of people have done it and have no problems with driveshaft bind

Maxx4life 09-01-2005 10:19 PM

if you do a 70/30 split the artic in the front won't be very good because the links will be really short but the artic in the rear will be great and make up for the loss of artic in the front.

colin

Trike Kid 09-01-2005 10:54 PM

he's not talking about the 4 link, he's talking about offsetting the pumpkin(diff it self) I think. To do that you'd have to make some PVC axels, and I can see a benefit if you are going to do that in putting the diff all the way to one side, more under axel clearance.

TwistedCreations 09-01-2005 11:28 PM

how is that more under axle clearance? :?

if you build it from PVC, you would be making it straight. if you didn't, you would need some type of carrier bearing in the long side axle. that way your axle will stay straight in the bend and not bind....( ihave done thougth about making a set like that)

anyway..

so you build them from PVC straight. you have about 2 1/2" of clearance under your diff just sitting there. then you lift the tire that is on that side ( let's just say ) 6". you then have 8 1/2" under that side... but if you build them like most people(angled), you would have 4 1/2" just sitting there ( clearance under diff). then lift that tire again the 6" and then you looking at what? ;-)

Maxx4life 09-02-2005 07:19 PM

i'm confused :roll:. you want to move the diff to one side of the axel?

colin

jason 09-02-2005 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
how is that more under axle clearance? :?

It does help keep from dragging the diffs on everything. If you jam the center sections both to the sides as far as you can 90% of the time if you are gonna drag your diff on something the tire is very close and you can just get the tire on it instead of smashing the diff ;-)

http://www.teamcarnagecrew.com/verna...rnal%20147.jpg

Trike Kid 09-02-2005 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxx4life
i'm confused :roll:. you want to move the diff to one side of the axel?

colin

He's laying the tranny on its side, which puts the output of the trans to one side, you move the diff over to keep the driveshaft straight.

Jeeprockcrawler 09-02-2005 08:47 PM

Yes I am going to mount the diff to one side of the axle. Like the real crawler pictured. I will post pic as soon as I finish building them. I am use 3/8" tube and 18 gauge steel to make it.

onefstsnake 09-02-2005 10:11 PM

Jason-why would you want a turbo on a crawler? I know its not yours but turbos make power in the High RPMS. Seems like unless you got the turbo lag way down the steep power curve would **** you up...

Trike Kid 09-03-2005 01:57 AM

They run real low gears, with a super low case or twin T cases. They're reved up most of the time, not lugging like the V-8 crawlers of old.

jason 09-03-2005 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefstsnake
Jason-why would you want a turbo on a crawler? I know its not yours but turbos make power in the High RPMS. Seems like unless you got the turbo lag way down the steep power curve would **** you up...

Our car does actually have a turbo as well. It has a super tiny turbo so there is almost no lag. In total we only build about 8lbs max boost, and Aaron can stall it up on the brake and be almost at max boost before letting go of the brake.

hacked_hummer 09-03-2005 08:48 AM

I have a turbo on my truck and I get 580 lb/tq at 2000rpm.
it is a diesel, but it dose crawl awsome, though it spins the tsl's really easy.

I think that building a maxx axle w/ the diff to one side is an awsome idea it would look sweet. the only thing that I could see bad about it is if you wanted a wide track width because you are going to be using one long cvd (I hope your using cvd's) and one center cvd (from the trans to diff). I think itll look sick.

ps what is shannon campbell doing using a winch he dosn't need that stuff. lol

lilman 09-04-2005 04:54 PM

if anybody builds axles like the one on taht 1:1 crawler, post pics of the build up.