Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project: Cheap Bastard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2005, 11:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Project: Cheap Bastard

Its kinda hard to believe that I saved allowance all summer to buy this thing a couple years ago, and now i'm joyfully tearing it apart. The mission, build a maxx crawler for as cheap as possible using as many stock parts as possible, just to show that a big crawler can be done without breaking the bank. I have to start fabbing all the stuff I'm building out of some aluminum sheet, the parts I make will be added to the stock stuff. Basicly all I'm buying is a steering servo, heims, motor, gears and hardware, because I had the truck and aluminum to start with. tires will be added later but for now it'll be cut stockers on narrowed stock rims. heres a pic of most of what I'm starting with, I have all the other stuff, I just didn't want to sort it all out to get a picture, these are the main components though.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 11-12-2005 at 05:47 PM.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

good idea man
mesaAZclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
RCC Addict

update, the chassis has either been prepped for improvement, or ruined. Tomorrow I get busy with some aluminum. What do you guys think I should run for a wheel base? I'm thinking some K-Rocks for tires and 14" because I need as much stable breakover angle as I can get for crossing over logs and what not, I don't have much in the way of rock piles but I do have a ton of trails to run, many I couldnt do with the stock maxx. Well over a hundred veiws and one relpy, that means about 110 people think I'm either not far enough along to comment or that I'm an idiot.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 08-17-2005 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I vote Idiot.

HAHA. I really think this will be a great project to get more people interested in the crawling realm of RC. To let them know that you don't have to spend $1000 or more. I know I got hooked by purchasing a Venom Mini Giant and modding it into a capable crawler. Whilst looking for different tips and ideas I followed a link to rccrawler.com and I was then consumed by crawlers. My wife wanted me to go and race my emaxx, I did and it wasn't satisfying anymore. I want to go slow and over near impossible obstacles. I am now cannabalizing my race emaxx for parts for my custom crawler.

Keep on working on it. And keep us updated.
mazdaparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:09 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I was out yesterday but I did a little today. I'm down to stuff I can do before I start spending money so I cut the skids down and tore the bumpers off.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:09 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Did a little fab today. Cut and bent a tranny skid out of 3/32 (2.5mm) aluminum. I have to drill it but until I get some hardware and I get dad out in the shop for assistance(I've used the drill press all of 2 times, both just pulling the lever to drop the bit because he was working a large peice) It'll be sitting like this. I think my little friend like's it at least.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 08-20-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:22 PM   #7

Im actually doing a project sorta like urs but with a TLT. my goal be as cheap as possible good luck with ur project
kittiphanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:27 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I "bought" a bunch of stuff for my birthday today, Robinson Racing 11T pinion(like I said trail rig not full rocker) Kimbrough 72T spur. A duratrax battery connecter and wires to do the EVX mod. And a set of Pro-Line Maxx Mashers. Integy Lathe which is on back order.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:23 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Some progress, left to right 72 tooth kimbrough spur mounted on my trans with a chopped motor plate, Duratrax battery connector, robinsond 11 tooth pinion and a foursome of Pro-Line Maxx Mashers. Damn walmart crawler is taking all my time right now.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 08-24-2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:40 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

u want a 9 tooth pinion
Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Its not a full time rock truck, its a trail runner more than anything, so I went for a little more speed. Unless you're asking if I want one. Pinions are cheap, I'll probably buy a 9 and a 10 when I order more parts.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:42 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Amen brotha! I'm all about cheap projects while keepin them capable! The whole trick is using what you have and if you don't got it, make it! i make all the parts i can and use miscilainious items to get the job done. My Mad Force crawler has everything to be complete (except its own body but it would get bashed so i dont really want a new one) and it cost about $300-$400? can't remember exactly. Let us know the final price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiphanh
Im actually doing a project sorta like urs but with a TLT. my goal be as cheap as possible good luck with ur project
Try to beat me! I spent a little under $160! haha. And it is super competitive. if you need any hints on how to conserve money and use stock parts PM me!
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:46 PM   #13
RCC Addict

yeah I have quite a bit of 2.5 mm aluminum at my disposal, just need hardware and stuff for lower links now. I think I'll be the first person to use razor scooter parts in my crawler too. At the very least I'll get a most hacksaw use award, drilling and soldering are going to be the only power tool usage here.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:11 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

get some good quality hardware from McMaster.

I use 12.9 Black Oxide screws. All hex heads.
onefstsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:12 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I'll just run down to south end hardware, for me, unless you're talking something like ARP for 1:1 rigs hard ware is hardware. Tacoma screw for big or odd kinds of bolts. I love tacoma screw, its like a big candy store of odds and ends, rope, specialty tools, very nice high solid industrial paint, utility wheels, everything.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 08-25-2005 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:32 AM   #16
RCC Addict

a drill and soldering iron is all i use too! (my dremel burned out)

So how much have you spent so far if hardware is all you need now?
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:30 PM   #17
RCC Addict

total to date, including what mom spent on my birth day presents is
320 for the original truck
55.70 for what is in the picture
18.39 for a back ordered lathe
3.49 for the can of paint I bought and used on the wheels today(pics to come)
comes to 397.58, not including any shipping charges. I'll be over that by another 70-100 bucks probably, since I need all the hardware and a steering servo, tube and all thread for links and a few misc things to get my steering and what not together. Still drasticly cheaper than some rigs I've seen. should put me right at the 500 dollar or under mark that I'm shooting for.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:03 AM   #18
RCC Addict

One of my wheels mocked up with my mashers, 10 coats of semi-flat Krylon made these
suckers look mean. I'll try to get some better pics but this is the best I have for now, wheels seen here with some late night fuel, I could almost live on whole milk and chicken sandwiches.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #19

keep going!!!

i wanna see this sucker done!
maxx_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:37 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Yeah I broke my Nylint, so I guess I'll have to work on the big crawler, painted my motor plate and filed the pinion set screw so it was flush and mounted it up with a 540 mabuchi to tide me over till the lathe shows up.