Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: is there a rule for shock placement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 12:08 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Talking is there a rule for shock placement

i did some searching and found some good info on stuff,but not really anything on what i wanted.is there a rule of thumb so to speak on shock placement?the reason i ask is i notice when i moved my shock in tward the center i got alittle more artic.i know too much i lose stability(learned it in my search!).so basically is straight up and down all around good.leaning tward the center,leaning tward the tranny,both??i put on longer shocks cause my links allowed me the twist,but now when i hold the shorter one closer in it still has travel when the long ones compressed.
bipolarcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2006, 07:54 AM   #2
RCC Addict

laying the shocks down is a old motocross trick before motorcycles had monoshocks. the closer you move the upper mounting point of the shock towards the pivot, the more travel you will get, hence the more articulation you noticed. of course you can go too far and the shock won't work properly. just experiment and see what works best for your rig.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #3
Colt Python/SR9c

In a 1:1 truck, if you would lay the shocks inward at a 45* angle, for every 1" of articulation, you only use 1/2" of the shock. As Greg stated, the more inward you have the shocks though, the less the actually work. Post up some pics and we could probably give ya a better idea. There really is not much of a rule though. Just zip tie them on for now and slide them around to see what way works best. I always mount mine as far out on the axle as I can get them without rubbing the tire. Mounting them on the axle gives better damping and helps fight torque twist

If you mount them on your links, you have more weight behind the shock that gives it the "wobble" ordeal, resulting in more torque twist.Overall, flex is really overrated. But it is up to you. Would you rather have a truck that twists up 70-90* and twist all over the place or a truck that only does 40*-60* and is very stable and predictable?
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

thanks greg,twisted.if i understand correctly,i think i will try alittle of both and see what happens.so simple...a zip tie...if my brain would only slow down enough to think of the simple solutions..lol.thanks again,and im working on pics.twisted you posted my first version (the yellow framed alum body willys jeep bottom first page)but this is a whole new setup.im working on pics though.twisted can guys still send them to you if we cant post pics of our rigs?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

it says i cannot post attachments,thats pics right?how do i put up a pic i see no button?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
Colt Python/SR9c

yeah send it to me and i'll post it for ya... or you can go to imageshack and open an account there and post pics that way...
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Another good image hosting site is photobucket.com.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

And Paintedover.com

But I'm biased since that's my site. That and fapomatic.com for adult images.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

i have webshots,never thought of that...good idea.i'll try and get some up on a link.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

lets see if this works,just one pic to see if it works.if it does i'll add more.otherwise you might have to copy,paste.sorry if you do

Last edited by bipolarcrawler; 01-10-2006 at 01:48 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old 01-10-2006, 01:58 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

closer look
Old 01-10-2006, 02:56 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Unhappy

how long till the newb brand under my username goes away??does it go bye # of post?,length of time since joining?ive been crawlin for years and here about 9 mounths.just wondering,thought since you mod(i think) id ask here instead of starting a worthless thread.pics worked great though,thanks for the photo host idea.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:55 AM   #13
RCC Addict

are those savage shocks? you might want to try the stock maxx shocks. those savage shocks look too long.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:00 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarcrawler
how long till the newb brand under my username goes away??does it go bye # of post?,length of time since joining?ive been crawlin for years and here about 9 mounths.just wondering,thought since you mod(i think) id ask here instead of starting a worthless thread.pics worked great though,thanks for the photo host idea.
once you hit 50 posts you move up to rock stacker
Crawlsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:31 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

ya greg,stock savage,i had maxx on there and was triing for more artic.the longer ones had to mount futher out on top and only gained me alittle.i hate the look to,its akward.im going back though becouse the stock maxx leaned tward center,and in tward tranny seems to be giveing me more than the savage.oh well only $20 for the stock savage ones,maybe i can ebay them.[QUOTE=gregrocks90046]are those savage shocks? you might want to try the stock maxx shocks. those savage shocks look too long.[/QUot

rock stacker here i come!...lol.thanks crawlsalot