Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Mini slash vxl trail runner (mini sub summit?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Mini slash vxl trail runner (mini sub summit?)

http://m94.photobucket.com/albums/co...ltrail runner/ ok it seems as if my iPod won't copy and paste this URL correctly. On photobucket.com search for "cornbread7o7" then click veiw album. If someone with a pc or mac could post the link for me I would be a very happy new member!

Hopefully that link worked for my pics along the way.
On the trx forums people were talking about a mini summit and how Traxxas should make one. I thought, why not build it myself?! And so started my journey. I've been using my pede chevy body as a shell. The wheel base doesn't exactly sit perfectly, nothing a little hacking away couldn't fix. Not even a whole lot really, about 1/4" from the inside of the wells. Next was getting it mounted. I've drilled out a couple bolts, and a couple plastic rods to decide what would work best. I'm using them both to play around with a tiny bit of weight. With the body on and ready to roll it was time to tackle the speed demon and break him into a tame torque monster. Inside the transmission I've flipped the input with the idler gear giving the ratio a nice drop in wheel spin. But it wasn't enough so I strapped a 13t rrp pinion on the motor and a merv 50t spur. Man this thing is slow! I mainly use 2s in parallel with a whopping top speed of 7ish mph. With a 3s maybe 10. But it pulls hard. I've been climbing carpet in the back at 50-70* angles and it makes it's way up easily! I was experiancing unwanted diffing out one the rocks. I locked the front diff with some rtv and ca mix. Hard yet little flex for removal when needed. The rear I packed down with some silly putty type of clay courtisy of my daughter. The turning radious grew at a welcome expense to the traction gain. My only high center is tires. I've been using stockers. There is no tires I can find that match the size of the stockers (tire to chassis space, scaleness). I was thinking about chopping up a set of 1.55" but I can't find plastic wheels for them. My budget is low hence my wanting to use plastic wheels. And at a price higher then my slash tires I don't want to jump right in chopping and mesuring rc4wd's 1.55" line of rubber. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
well I hope you guys like my build. And any updates or added parts will be sure to post pics and update my build thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Hvrc; 05-12-2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Broken link
Hvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvrc View Post
http://m94.photobucket.com/albums/co...ltrail runner/ ok it seems as if my iPod won't copy and paste this URL correctly. On photobucket.com search for "cornbread7o7" then click veiw album. If someone with a pc or mac could post the link for me I would be a very happy new member!

Hopefully that link worked for my pics along the way.
On the trx forums people were talking about a mini summit and how Traxxas should make one. I thought, why not build it myself?! And so started my journey. I've been using my pede chevy body as a shell. The wheel base doesn't exactly sit perfectly, nothing a little hacking away couldn't fix. Not even a whole lot really, about 1/4" from the inside of the wells. Next was getting it mounted. I've drilled out a couple bolts, and a couple plastic rods to decide what would work best. I'm using them both to play around with a tiny bit of weight. With the body on and ready to roll it was time to tackle the speed demon and break him into a tame torque monster. Inside the transmission I've flipped the input with the idler gear giving the ratio a nice drop in wheel spin. But it wasn't enough so I strapped a 13t rrp pinion on the motor and a merv 50t spur. Man this thing is slow! I mainly use 2s in parallel with a whopping top speed of 7ish mph. With a 3s maybe 10. But it pulls hard. I've been climbing carpet in the back at 50-70* angles and it makes it's way up easily! I was experiancing unwanted diffing out one the rocks. I locked the front diff with some rtv and ca mix. Hard yet little flex for removal when needed. The rear I packed down with some silly putty type of clay courtisy of my daughter. The turning radious grew at a welcome expense to the traction gain. My only high center is tires. I've been using stockers. There is no tires I can find that match the size of the stockers (tire to chassis space, scaleness). I was thinking about chopping up a set of 1.55" but I can't find plastic wheels for them. My budget is low hence my wanting to use plastic wheels. And at a price higher then my slash tires I don't want to jump right in chopping and mesuring rc4wd's 1.55" line of rubber. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
well I hope you guys like my build. And any updates or added parts will be sure to post pics and update my build thread. Thanks!
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...rail%20runner/ there is the link for yah and cool idea!
racerx26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Right on thank you very much!
Btw. I'm supplying the power with a few zippys
3s 1800mah 20c
2x 2s 1800mah 20c
With the 2s in parallel I get stupid long runtimes. With the 3 I'm able to clear a 1' gap with a 6" rocky ramp.

Last edited by Hvrc; 05-13-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Dangit you beat me I wanted to build a mini slash scaler.
Any way search for propulse1/18scale tires they have a chevrons and dirthawgs and I want to try the extended wheelbase revo arms how much different is the width between the two?
To me it looks PERFECT
D_Frawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The difference is about 1/2" on each side. Revo arms on the slash make the wheels stick out, no problem with the pede body. The longer wb arms (I think is what's coming out for merv) will add 10mm in length. Perfect for the pede c10 body. Right now I'm going with a complete tear down and parting out so I can swap in bigblock kit with a hk 1000kv motor. It's taking sometime because the original project fell from a cliff with a 80* angle. Just about everyarm, knuckle, rod, posts, and even motor mount and tranny ears have been snapped. I'd take photos but my phone is off due to some thieving little bastard at work. But I'll post once I get more. I'm trying to think of a way to add a mini dig to the rear end using the stickied unit. But I'm running into clearance issues ATM.

Tags
1.55", mini summit, scale, small scale, traxxas