Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Lipo suggestion help for summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramarks View Post
Im just wondering if it will run just as good as the stock batts with those lipos...it says 20c with 30c max discharge....for $30 plus shipping i think it would be great...as long aw it will be like stock with a longer run time. How long would you estimate it would run?
you will get more power without the dreaded nimh fade .full power right till the end of the pack.much better than stock by a long ways
With my summit which was around 20 lbs in low climbing and crawling my way up the mountain I'm getting close to a hour with my2x 5000mah 30c i don't do much high speed bashing as the truck is front heavy with weight in the front wheels more setup for trail running and crawling.high gear for me a bunch less if i was going all out maybe 20 mins not sure as i haven't spent much time in high i removed the shift servo so i shift it by hand if i need to are you asking about the lvc or lva I use low voltage alarm plugs into balance tap on bec side batt (the wires with the tag on it) as that batt drains slightly quicker than the other.the bec is a battery elimination circut the stock one works fine unless your running high voltage servos.the alarm i got from hobby king but you should be able to get one locally they are cheap 5 to 7 bucks for the one i got the better one is the chargery bm6

Last edited by jaymann; 01-28-2011 at 11:14 AM.
jaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

So the alarm just makes a noise when the battery gets too low?
And thats when your supposed to stop running it?
Duramarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So the alarm just makes a noise when the battery gets too low? Yes
And thats when your supposed to stop running it?
Yes
THE CRAWLER KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

On mine when you plug in it beeps a few times to let you know its working and solid blue light.then as you drive for a bit it will give out a beep and the light will start flashing blue as the voltage drops under load and stop when the load eases IE: let off the throttle.crawling doesn't put huge spike loads on the batts so i can keep driving until the alarm goes off it will go red light and will keep sounding constantly until you unplug it.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:46 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

is it the same as the mmm stock cutoff and alarm---i have never ran mine to the shutoff point---i sure dont want to over discharge my lipos---i have already once and had one blow up trying to get auto detection to read it as a 3s as it was---took some advice about slow charging in nimh mode---needless to say i just barely got it out of the house---almost gave up on the lipos then an there---actually havent ran them since but thats cuz im waitn on parts----
Burned Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned Up View Post
is it the same as the mmm stock cutoff and alarm---i have never ran mine to the shutoff point---i sure dont want to over discharge my lipos---i have already once and had one blow up trying to get auto detection to read it as a 3s as it was---took some advice about slow charging in nimh mode---needless to say i just barely got it out of the house---almost gave up on the lipos then an there---actually havent ran them since but thats cuz im waitn on parts----

Check out the LIFE-PO series here.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10310
Old 01-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned Up View Post
When the alarm goes bananas i stop. when i throw them on the charger they are at about 3.8 or 3.9v per cell it doesnt cut it off so you have to listen for it.once it is at a low enough voltage it Starts going off and won't stop until you unplug.it's a annoying sound so you will hear it as long as the truck isn't way far away.my cheapo hong kong alarm has not failed me yet
Old 01-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymann View Post
my cheapo hong kong alarm has not failed me yet

You mean cheap price but awsome reliable product.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I have to say yes everything i"ve got from hobby king has worked flawlessly
I bought a couple because they were cheap and to have a backup just in case
Old 01-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have to say yes everything i"ve got from hobby king has worked flawlessly
I bought a couple because they were cheap and to have a backup just in case

Yeah they're pretty hard to beat.

Jaymann I can't decide wether to upgrade my servo or get lipos first? Which should I do? I'm more inclined towards the lipos but I'm not sure.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I went lipo first just because my steering wasn't a big issue until i put on the rock crushers thats when the servos started to cry.LOL then they would get mad and refuse to work so i fired them .....right in the parts pile
Old 01-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I went lipo first just because my steering wasn't a big issue until i put on the rock crushers thats when the servos started to cry.LOL then they would get mad and refuse to work so i fired them .....right in the parts pile
Yeah Ok I guess I'll get the lipos first but would it be ok if I were to get 2 7.4v Turnigy lipos with only 20c? Or do I need atleast 35-40c cause I just wannna get some lipos and not have to deal with the nimhs anymore. Either that or I'll wait and get 2 4s lipos and play all day.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE CRAWLER KING View Post
Yeah Ok I guess I'll get the lipos first but would it be ok if I were to get 2 7.4v Turnigy lipos with only 20c? Or do I need atleast 35-40c cause I just wannna get some lipos and not have to deal with the nimhs anymore. Either that or I'll wait and get 2 4s lipos and play all day.
Your truck is heavy i seem to remember so at crawling speed the 20 c will probably work ok but if your on the throttle alot trying to go fast it will have a bit more effort trying to supply depending on what esc and motor you are running as well as gearing tire size and weight if you are using a evx i don't think you can run a 4s pack because the evx does the parallel in side the esc it needs 2s to feed the bec then it puts the batts in parallel for 4s to the motor
Old 01-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

i just took mine back in the woods today..and my steering servo is junk now, this is the second time. What do you guys upgrade with?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
i just took mine back in the woods today..and my steering servo is junk now, this is the second time. What do you guys upgrade with?
In my case i went to kershaw designs 231oz each metal geared worked pretty good until i put the 8.26" tall rc4wd rock crushers on destroyed them
Then some tower pro metal geared destroyed them.Did some research and decided to go single servo used a turnigy hv767 347 in-oz at 6v and 430 in-oz at 7.4v about 60 bucks at hobby king.stripped plastic horns and snapped bellcrank arms off (both plastic) changed to aluminium steers good now.
No more adjusting them to get them to stop fightingPlus where i run is pretty tough on servos amongst other things.
looking at the last climb we cleared

looking at the next climb

and the next

and the reward

Last edited by jaymann; 01-30-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

nice pictures!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Thanks I've got years worth of that kind of terrain to explore
Old 03-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #38

g'day,

I'm new here and new to the hobby, my only experience 10+ years ago with a Tamiya Super Hornet as a kid.

I have just ordered a Summit & spent the last couple of days looking into options for it as at the very least I need to buy a charger, opening the first can of worms.

What I'd appreciate is if someone could indicate if I've chosen appropriately or suggest something better. I'd prefer to spend once rather than multiple times as things change.

From what I've read, Lipo is the way to go so have been looking at a charger to charge the stock 3000mah nimhs' along with their replacements, ac/dc is a necessity. This has led me to the Turnigy Accucel 6, or 8 using the Turnigy 5000mah 2s 40C lipos. I'm leaning towards the 6, but when in time I upgrade the motor (most likely Dewalt 14.4) will this charger still be sufficient to charge larger(?) batteries for that motor in a reasonable time?

This also has me looking at the Novak Smart Stop, or maybe the Hobbyking Battery Monitor. With the above mentioned lipos would I need a 4s or 2 x 2s monitors (one on each battery)? Reviews for the monitors are not good or mixed at best, has anyone had any experience with them or suggest a better product?

btw electronics is not my strong point, things tend to burn when they shouldn't lol so the easier the application the more chance my new Summit when it arrives will actually get a first drive & not melt into a mess..mabe I should stick to nimhs...
cap51z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

The turnigy is a decent charger if you run one pack at a time but it is only capable of 50w max output.so limites you two charging one pack at a time the i charger line is good costs more but won't need to upgrade with a good power supply can charge 2 packs at a time even three at a time ..http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...&products_id=1.
the batts you have chosen are great lots of punch and less voltage drop.
I am running the hobbyking monitors have for a year working fine i am going to go back to running one on each batt just for extra safety the chargery bm6 is a good choice as it's programable and displayes cell voltages.the monitors are simple plug in to the balance tab on the batt..... ready...go.lipo is the best choice for this truck unless you want to submerge the truck do not submerge lipo can be very bad.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #40

cheers for your reply & suggestions.

with the icharger 106b it appears to have only one set of ports so to charge multiple batteries at once would require an adapter & "piggy backing"?

what are your thoughts on this from turnigy? It seems to do everything I want & more.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11170

I've just spoken to a local shop where they have told me a few things about Summits I can't disprove..yet.

they said the 2.4ghz #5607 Summit has an inbuilt LVC so it won't kill lipos? further saying the old Summits did not have this but the new ones do..?? I have ordered this model (2.4ghz #5607)

they also said that you can only have one diff locked at a time?? eg only the front or rear? not both together. I know old school (really old school) theory on this in actual 4wd's is that you would never want only a front locker so even ARB's are wired rear first then front if the suggested wiring diagram is used.

Also, is there any real difference between hard & soft casing? Temp? I read that they are better protected in a hard case but that's about all other than the extra weight of the casing.

Looking at the http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14697 it says it is a 2s2p but it's a 4 cell? Doesn't the 2s signify it's a 2 cell? 2p makes it 4? I am confused.

Has anyone ran the turnigy nano-techs in their Summits? I like the idea of 6000mah.

any thoughts appreciated,

cheers.
cap51z is offline   Reply With Quote