Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Little Guy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Sometimes, I make things.

Default The Little Guy.

When I look at this 1/16 scale Summit, I think of a scene from Tommy Boy where Farley is teasing Spade on the side of the road near the Prehistoric Forest "He's just a little guy!", then the little guy smashes him w/ a board. In stock trim this truck is gonna need some help to get it to do what I want. My goal is to drop in a 35t Brood motor I have and a BRXL and see how that works and go from there. I picked up some goosebumps to try on it, if I don't like them they will go on one of my Slashes. I think these tires will work well on this, we will see.

This is the brushed version. I am waiting for the pack to charge to try it out. I plan do do double servos like I did on my Rally, should work even better on this. I will hopefully be trying out a lotof different stuff with the diff fluid on this, it is very open stock. I want to keep the front a bit loose and lock or nearly lock the rear.

The 'Bumps are a little tall but the foams will beat down some and they will flatten out. The stock wheels and tires are much lighter than I expected, probably lighter than the SCT wheels and tires. I also plan to try a Hardline body on this, it looks like I can make it fit pretty well. Hopefully updates will be pretty regular on this, its gonna be fun. I want to make a little rock racer out of this, I know it won't crawl like a crawler, blah blah blah, all that jazz.... but I just want something peppy that can run some stuff over. Not looking for it to be much faster than 15-20MPH.

Last edited by crazyorigin; 04-04-2011 at 10:16 AM.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #2

After the test drive in the house, i am not overly impressed with the brushed motors power. I may just be spoiled with the power of the brushless setup that was in my Rally, but it definetly needs help. I might hook up the new motor and esc today and try it out. Prbably gonna build a series connector so i can run my 2s packs in series for some big boy power.

I bought the brushed truck because it is $100 cheaper and already comes with the "big block" motor mount and plate setup ready for 540 brushed motors and same sized brushless. I want to keep this brushed, i have a 14t puller but with the open endbell on it i think it would get a rock or dirt/mud in it and hurt the motor.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I also think that the Bumps are alittle to tall it looks too monster truckish like that. Maybe you should give a look ayt the DeWalt drill motors as they've got barrels of torque and they have decent speed with 4s lipos. You still haven't decided on a body top yet?
THE CRAWLER KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

do you have a brushed video ?
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #5

No video of the stock brushed motor. I swapped it out after a short drive in the house. It felt pretty slow compared to my brushless Rally, like really slow. Top speed was ok but getting there was not great but for the price, it is still a good performing truck IMO.

I swapped in a 1/10 VXL I had laying around because it was much less wiring I had to do to try it out. Holy crap is it ever a backflipping, wheely popping, brake endo'ing machine now, its just way too much power, I will be trying another setup soon. This thing will do double backflips at 25mph if you stab the gas hard. I also want to play with the diffs more, the front feels pretty good w/ the grease in it now but I wast the rear to be almost locked or locked when I slow it down. My buddy has the same motor/esc in his and stock wheels and tires, mine feels much more controlable with the 'Bumps, I like em so far. If its not pouring after work we are gonna go beat the snot out of them on some various terrain.

I don't know a lot about these but it feels like the tranny has a slipper/diff in it because now and then I am only getting front or rear drive. I tried it out on my indoor rock course and it was not impressive though did show potential with the mods I have in mind for it. I may go with even bigger 2.2 crawling tires on this, we will see where I end up, it will be a fun journey.

Next update will be 35t Br00d Onslaught motor, BRXL-waterproof, 4s (2-2s packs in series) and possibly locked rear diff, but I will probably drive it like it is first. The locked rear should really help out in rollover recoveries.

With the 1/10 VXL in it, it spends a lot of time on its lid haha!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

there i a slipper on your tranny but that wouldnt cause you to have intermediate front or rear wheel drive. i suspect a broken pin on either the front or rear center drive shafts.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #7

The shafts are all ok, it was doing it randomly, and only when I had it wedged in something on my rock course. I will try to recreate it today and see if it is all in my head. I knew about the slipper on the spur gear, I heard it whizzing quite a few times, its working nicely. I will be running this when I leave work shortly (in 10 minets yaaaaaaaaay, no more Monday!), I will surely beat the ever locing crap out of it, like I generally do w/ my RC's-if it breaks, time to upgrade.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

check your hexes both in the wheel and the hex itself and the pin behind the hexes
Old 04-05-2011, 05:04 AM   #9

I found the problem, yesterday while running it I thought I had blown the front diff because I was barely getting any FWD at all and it was making a lot of racket. I put 1.5 packs thru it like this and iit never really got any worse, towards the end of playing with it yesterday I noticed the front drivers side driveshaft pin at the diff end sheared, so it looks like the diff is probably ok, I probably shouldn't have run it for another 30 minets like this but I was having fun. Hopefully that will be an easy fix, next on the agenda is the brushed motor swap and 4s.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
I found the problem, yesterday while running it I thought I had blown the front diff because I was barely getting any FWD at all and it was making a lot of racket. I put 1.5 packs thru it like this and iit never really got any worse, towards the end of playing with it yesterday I noticed the front drivers side driveshaft pin at the diff end sheared, so it looks like the diff is probably ok, I probably shouldn't have run it for another 30 minets like this but I was having fun. Hopefully that will be an easy fix, next on the agenda is the brushed motor swap and 4s.
ive broken those pins.