Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Flexible 6th Scale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #1

Talking Flexible 6th Scale

Finished my 6th scale kids, here it is.

This buggy was made mostly of spare parts and 1 broken E-MAXX.
I used a Dremil tool and basic hand tools to build it; yes, fabrication can be done without a machine shop.
Here's the goody list:

-5.77778 scale
-18" wheelbase (scale 104")
-55t Lathe motor (running 9 on 72 gears)
-some junk chasis a friend got with some clod axles, heavily modified
-Hitec stearing servos
-home made independently suspended axles mounted on a three link suspention
-modified Monster GT tires (scale 38") on RPM offset rims (scale 20")
-standard E-MAXX electronics (speed control & radio), works great!
-Proline 2.0 Crowd Pleaser body (my first paint, no snickering)
TOTAL Investment = under $350.00

Integrity
Theroetically, there is no such thing as an origional idea; invention happens when someone is industrious enough to capitalize on an idea. Please, give credit where credit is due. This truck was built with help and ideas from a lot of articles, help from the car folks a Hobbies N' Stuff, Albuquerque, NM and y'all here in the forum, all rolled together into a chewy chocolaty treat, and made with love.

Last edited by Trucks Women & Beer; 07-18-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Trucks Women & Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

nice words,got a pic of the truck?
EMUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

5.786554672 scale? Why don't you just say 6th? I've seen this thing in person and it's a beast! I love your sig.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

robvbro81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up So it's done?

Well,make another deal with the Devil and get the 2nd of July off.I want to see you at the comp!Looks sweet man,nice work!

Albuquerque New Mexico Comp
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #6

Unhappy Bugs in the works

It still has a few bugs. I haven't added the rear stearing yet, and I'm breaking driveshafts so I'll probably have to go to Revo shafts. I wanted to run the new Iroc rock tires, but i was ripping them clean off the rims!! Will probably need some offset beadlocks.
Just to let you know what kind of stress it's under; I use two 40 Lbs. fishing leaders as limiting straps for the front suspention, this car will snap them clean in two!
Also, this car with the rear stearing will require another channel, so I may need to invest in a 5 or 6 channel radio.

Last edited by Trucks Women & Beer; 06-07-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

no need i will get the trick for you on how to make the tq3 radio work great and its free
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:31 PM   #8

Default radio...

I'm not sure which mod your refering to, but if you can get more than 3 channels out of the stock Traxxis radio your my new hero!
The one mod I do know of is rigging the thumb button on that controller to a 3 position switch for rear steering. I can do that, but I don't want to loose my shifting, and I would like to run one more servo with a full forward/full reverse. So there is 5 channels I'll need, and at least one more that I'll want for another project I'm currently designing.
But dude, if you have any new ideas I'd love to hear them.
Someone suggested using an inexpensive aircraft radio, but I like steering with a wheel.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:39 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

well i can out of the tq3 and you said what i was talking about the shifting buttin so other then that yeah u have to use an air craft radio i never heard of one that has a wheel and more then 3 channals
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:13 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

You can use the Spektrum DX6 it has 6 channels and plus its spektrum so no frequency conflicts, and you dont have to worry about using a frequency that is illegal to use for ground use. I know you wont need to use it because you need more than 3 channels but the link to the free rear steer mod for the TQ3 is in my sig.
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

he already has a tq3 and all three channels are taken. One for ESC one for steering and one for shifting. he needs at least 4 channels but he wants 5 maybe one for a winch?
plyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #12

Default Radio woes

Hobbies N' Stuff introduced me to a 7 channel pistol grip type radio called a Profi-7 Multiplex. Most of the channels are on/off but will work for my application. If anyone has any experience with Profi products, I'd like to know how thier stuff worked for you.
An aircraft radio may be cheaper, but I like the steering wheel.

The channels I'll need for my next rig will cover 2 steering, 1 shifting, 1 drive disk brake, 1winch, and throttle.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Don't forget to mod yourself for the extra hands you'll need to run all that.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucks Women & Beer View Post
Hobbies N' Stuff introduced me to a 7 channel pistol grip type radio called a Profi-7 Multiplex. Most of the channels are on/off but will work for my application. If anyone has any experience with Profi products, I'd like to know how thier stuff worked for you.
An aircraft radio may be cheaper, but I like the steering wheel.

The channels I'll need for my next rig will cover 2 steering, 1 shifting, 1 drive disk brake, 1winch, and throttle.
I use the Profi 403 in truck mode, which gives you 7 channels total. Only one channel is fixed to on/off (the handle button or HB as it is referred to in the manual), the remaining channels can be proportional control. Check out the manual at http://www.multiplexusa.com/Support/...ofi403_707.pdf
KSCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:47 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I used a Multiplex 403 for years in my racing applications and I loved it. It's easy to use and super light weight. I didn't use truck mode often, but the few times I did on a couple of project sold me on the 403's capabilities as a multi-channel radio. Plus you can upgrade the battery with any number of cheap Micro-RS4 7.2v packs that plug right in and can give you hours of runtime before you need a recharge. I only recently sold my 403 to get the new Nomadio React for the DSM stuff (and the React uses the same case as the ProfiCar stuff so no learning new ergonomics. Score!)
S1NN3R is offline   Reply With Quote