Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Single Speed Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Single Speed Conversion

I'm thinking about using Gorillamaxx's single speed conversion that cuts the transmission thickness in half, but only uses second gear.

Currently I'm running first gear only with a GD600 @ 3.8:1 and a 27 turn motor. It could use a little more wheel speed.

With the single speed conversion I was still going to run the GD600 @ 3.8:1 but with a 55 turn lathe motor to get the wheel speed back down and the run times hopefully about the same.

Keeping the GD600 holds the crawler in place better on steep slopes like brakes. I learned this by going to a 55 turn lathe motor and no GD600, no brakes!

FYI - first gear is 2.77: and second is 1.72:1.

Anyone tried Gorilla's single speed conversion for crawl'n or any comments?

Thanks in advance for any input.
HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
Colt Python/SR9c

I would try the 2nd gear and leave the 27t motor on it first.. you say it needs more wheelspeed as it is.
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I've been looking at the Gorilla maxx tranmission too. I'm trying to figure out if you could switch the gears around and lock it in first gear instead of second. Anybody know if that's possible?
jsudar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #4

I am new to this forum and new to crawling learning every day new stuff. but I do have the gorillamaxx first gear conversion on my race maxx. I will look at it when I get a chance and see what I can come up with. Im in the works of making a maxx crawler and the tranny is something I am looking into in the next week or so. but don't wait on me if anyone as the answer to speed up my work do tell. if not I will repost soon.
repent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #5

sorry I ment to say gorilla maxx secound gear conversion.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #6

Default Ok gorillamax in 1st gear

You would just need the coupler part (see replacement parts on the G1 single speed kit page). You would need to keep all the gear as they are in the stock kit. Just remove the slider and the inside bearing on the first gear and replace it with the coupler. Both gears would still be in the transmission, but the first gear would be lock down to the output shaft.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I tore my emaxx tranny down today and it's not possible to use the gorillamaxx conversion with first gear. Even though both first and second gear sets use the same idler gear, it's location in the case is different from one side to the other. I guess it's not that big of a deal, since the gear ratios are fairly close anyway. Oh well, it was worth a shot.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:21 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys,
It's the placement of the idler shafts that makes the swap impossible.
I talked with the guys at Gorrillamax about making a single speed first gear conversion for us crawler guys, so hopefully I at least planted an idea. To do this they would have to make the front case half rather than the rear case half.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #9

Default 1st gear better than 2nd in tranny

I have a gorillamax second gear tranny and a 2 speed stock tranny.
because the gorillamax tranny is lighter and smaller I would love to use it.
question:

1. is it possible to just change gearing to get the 2nd gear gorillamax the same as 1st gear

2. is their a big difference in torque and speed from 2nd to 1st

3. could I use the stock tranny and manually shift in 2nd when I need the speed to play around and then manually shift to 1st when I need the extra torque to get up tuff stuff

4. I want ok speed and torque because I will be using my rocmax as a remote camera at times so I don't want to creep along. should I use a gd600 or just a 55t lathe. thank you so much.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

1. No you can't switch the gears, the idler shaft is in different locations.

2. I haven't tried taller gearing, I like controlled crawling, but a certain amount of wheel speed is required to bump over some objects.

3. I would think it's easy to do some sort of manual shift, maybe using a collar with a set screw on the shifting rod?

4. Reread my original post, I like the GD600 for it's braking, a lathe motor wouldn't hold the crawler on a steep incline.

Same with me, the Gorillamax trans size sure would be nice.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #11
Colt Python/SR9c

Not to really hi-jack this thread, but a buddy of mine has made his own maxx tranny from alum. If I could get him to make the front section of the trans(that way we could use the first gear) would anyone actually be interested?

I wouldn't want him to take all the time to setup the machines and such, just for 1 or 2 trans halves for myself and whoever
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #12

I would be interested but I have a stock tranny and a gorillamax tranny and can't spend the money on another one. What would my crawler be like if I had my gorillamax stuck in 2nd and I have a gd600 and a 55T lathe and geared properly. People say the gd600 and 55T is to slow BUT since my gorillamax is in 2nd gear it might be the same as gd600 and MM motor on a stock 1st gear tranny and still have the brake on steep inclines. And still have the light gorillamax.

Last edited by repent; 08-10-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

TC-
I would be interested in a custom built maxx case like your friend makes if the price, weight and size were similar to that of the gorillamaxx trans. Otherwise I'll just stick with a GD-600 and second gear.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #14

well this is what I am going to buy and try.
my 2nd gear gorillamax tranny
72t spur
18t gd/600
9 to 14 tooth pinion on a
55 turn motor
I'm hoping this will give me good torque but also good speed (about a good walking speed or just a little faster)
and good runtime.

what do yall think

Last edited by repent; 08-11-2006 at 12:58 PM.