Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Independent suspension suggestions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:11 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Independent suspension suggestions...

I'm not really new to the crawling world, but this is my first rc anything. I bought an e-maxx with the sole intention of making it a crawler. I want to keep/use the independent suspension, because (in my limited opinion), SA rigs are too easy to get extreme articulation out of. I was wondering if anyone had some input on how to get more articulation? I'm currently designing a few of my ideas @ work (I'm a machinist). Here's some of them if you're intersted:

AL bulkheads that extend the top a-arm link out about 1/2" to clear CVD diff mount.

AL axle carriers with bottom pivot ball housing extended 1/2" to compensate the change in geometry from the new bulkheads

axle carriers modified for different turnbuckle placement (to eliminate bind at droop and extension)

stock a-arms (if it ain't broke, don't fix it)

4WS with hobbico 1/4 servos (hope these are good, someone here recommended them)

stock tranny W/ 9T-76T (GD600 possibly - don't know much about 'em except what I've read)

stock motors for now

That's a few of 'em. I have a lot more that would definitely be awesome, but it turns the truck into something more like a robot. I don't want that. I don't care if it's truly scale, but I still want it to be a truck. Let me know what you think.

WR Morrison
nunyaDbiznus@msn.com

Also, I'm designing a couple dif. sets of experimetal beadlocks. I'll let you know how this all turns out.
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2004, 08:47 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Independent suspension suggestions...

cool
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:57 AM   #3
2006 2.2 National Champ

Let me start by saying welcome, from one newbie/machinist to another. Got to love being a machinist for sh!t like this.

The two things I like about my E-maxx still using IFS:

No shaft twist. Thats for all you clod lovers.

I can climb crazy steep slickrock.

I made extended chassis braces, wheelbase is roughly 3 1/4" longer than stock. Basically extended rear bulkhead/diff. off back of chassis, then made custom upper support to tie upper bulkhead to rear of chassis.

I've had good luck w/ the GD-600 in my TXT-1.
I bored pinion out to fit output shaft on GD-600, instead of turning shaft.
But that limits how small your pinion can be. I was able to bore 15t out and still have plenty of threads for setscrew.
Then threw housing on proto-trac and milled diameter down to fit motor mount. My boss is cool, I can pretty much use the machines whenever I want.

Keep us posted.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 06:11 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Good choice on staying with independant. Ive been tweaking the hell out of my setup for awhile now and Im very satisfied with it so far. Ive extended the wheelbase to 14.5" and it works great with jumbo kongs. There is a thread here in the max section somewhere that I started that shows some good pics of my setup.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 03:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Well, I've just placed an order with tower hobbies:

(2) 1/4 scale servos
futaba servo reverser w/trim adjustment
GD-600

should be here in a couple of days. If I ever figure out how to get imageshack to work (lol) I'll post some pics. I've tried that site about ten times and registered and everything, but can't get anything to show up in "my images." We'll see.

Thanks for the interest.
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 03:04 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

the main problem i find is there is not enough room for articulation with the stock on aftermarket driveshafts...im in the prosses of makin a indi pedemaxx...i think the best option is to make some longer a arms with more room for the axle to rotate near the joint...pix to come...im building my chassis tomorow after i get some fittings for my compressor
cborrowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 08:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I am glad to see some others that love their maxx as much as I do.

I also bored out my pinion gear for my gd600 I think this is the best way to do it. I was able to get a 12 tooth to work. I love the emaxx tranny, it is so ajustable, you can get a very low crawl ratio.

My Maxx cut savage tires, cvd's thru out, gd600, 12 tooth pinions, stock motor (27 turn) one battery, Jeep body.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:57 PM   #8

Hi !! I m New on the forum and i m happy to see that other prefer ifs than solid axles for crawling, i buid my own electric monster truck with independant suspension and want to begin rock crawling with it , and i want to take some info on the subject, that s the reason i am on this forum !!!

Banzee
Banzee is offline   Reply With Quote