Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 4 Trucks Trailing and having Fun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 4 Trucks Trailing and having Fun

Finally found some other rcers local that aren't into go fast bashing or racing. Turns out they are into summit trailing. Why not its close enough to the crawling I like! So I found a summit on Craigslist for 350 next to new and now here we are. Mine is the yellow and does excellent with the weights I've added to the front. Excellent as far as for what we are doing that means. I hate to say it but yes these are some tough ass bind the axle flip 5 times fall 10 ft and land on the side but beg for more punishment trucks so far. I've gone on 4 runs with them now each run 1.5 to 2 hrs. Here's my front weights. 6oz each front so far so I have an edge.

Here's some pics on the trail and of mine. Remember I'm the yellow. The shots of mine with the small tires was just me fooling around.

There should be a decent YouTube vid in a day or so. One of the guys records with an hd camera and said he would be editing it on up.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 4 Trucks Trailing and having Fun

looks likes fun
robynhoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
RCC Addict

It is fun good lord! The trail takes a good hour to take one way if we are all going steady. What the original guys have set up is a series of obstacles. At each one for example a technical hill climb we each stop and go one at a time. Usually spotting or recording. There's a couple obstacles you really have to work at. Speaking of---

All I can think of performance wise is weighting the front tires and sitting fairly neutral. We all have stock power etups and it gives plenty of torque and almost a dragbrake from the gearing. Does anyone have better advice on actual crawling tuning for this platform ? I went back 2yrs into these posts and they are filled with " ooo looky at my new stock summit and watch me drive it fast over rocks" threads.

Johnrobholmes do you make a brushed 750?? Looked around on your site and could only find 540s. I have one of the 380 pullers in my mini rock crawler and it's miles smoother and more torquey to a stocker. Notice I'm rocking the logo big right on the back of my rig! Send me one as a tester and I'll convince the other guys the dewalt is a waste of time upgrade to a real brushed motor! Boy if I could do that I think I would have to buy a br-xl esc to do it decent justice.
I don't bash through the trails. I make lines in my mind that I can tackle methodically and try to go into areas the other guys can't follow. They try as we all crawl organized behind each other. We take turns Leading .Some of the hills are pretty amazing as far as composition big boulders, dirt crevices , and small rock. The dirt areas getting to the next obstacle can be just as fun. Well enough of me typing. Really like the idea of a 750 brushed motor for this trucking.

Bout time for bed here lol. She must be tired from a long day of crawling hahaha
Old 02-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Looks like a nice area, thanks for sharing!
m4rK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Well here's some trimmed video of us 4 running. I'm the yellow one and you notice a tire change in the middle. This vid is put together from 2 runs. The guy with the blue had a brushless so was fighting having no dragbrake and trying new treads he ended up not being too fond of. We are all set up very different on our trucks you can see how high the white summit is. <br />
Vids will get better in the future we are still feeling out good angles and editing. Thanks enjoy<br />
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdVvN7SbnKY
Old 03-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Here's my truck as it sits now waiting for the next trail run. Dewalt 14.4 is in the mail and I'm already running shorter gearing.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

What gearing are you running? I'm running a 12t pinion on the stock spur and its noticeably slower and easier to crawl.
m4rK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rK View Post
What gearing are you running? I'm running a 12t pinion on the stock spur and its noticeably slower and easier to crawl.
Same as you. 12t and stock spur. It did slow it down a lot your right.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #9

the boggers look like they were ment to be on a summit!
Irmoxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Thank you. Well took it out for the first trail ride on the new tires tonight. I have to say the 2 guys running stock tires walked all over us on the rocks. We still made the lines they did but not with the same finesse. They shine in the dirt and mud but even with my wildly chopped foams are stiff as fawk as far as conforming much to the terrain. It rained yesterday so it was tacky on most the hill climbs. They flat out dig and sling mud. Hence the name mudslingers. I think I am gonna break down and cut down my small lugs.
On these trails there's a mixture of serious rock crawling, going through muddy ravines, and hill climbing borderline foff. I have 6 oz of lead in each front wheel but didn't seem to have the advantage like I did with the stock tires with the same weight. Afraid to add any more weight to the front tires because of the rotating mass. We already end up with a broken shaft or 3 on one of the trucks every other run. Boy this things a pig it has to be nearly 18lbs and I flog it on the trails. Been 5 times with no broken shafts or lockers yet. A real testament to the sturdiness on the whole.

Anyone have some extra setup tips on suspension for what I'm doing? Thanks Mike
Old 03-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I got this pic from a trail run today. Had some heart issues yesterday so having to take it easy. No this isn't me but the guy would rather his face blocked. Him with his special trail pack lol

Also broke a front driveshaft and crunched up my front diff gears. But you know what? They ran fine for the next 90mins of tough trail running and hill climbing. I replaced the shaft on the trail.

Last edited by CrawlinMike; 03-09-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #12

Does that gopro mount provide steady video? Anymore info on it? Thanks!
rhanson94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
RCC Addict

It's not too bad. I think it would be even steadier if he mounted directly to the chassis since its on lexan. I can't remember what the guys YouTube name is or would shoot a link. It's the older go pro 720p. Thanks for commenting I was getting scared the summit really was the black sheep section of this forum.

Last edited by CrawlinMike; 03-11-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinMike View Post
Here's my truck as it sits now waiting for the next trail run. Dewalt 14.4 is in the mail and I'm already running shorter gearing.

Those are some sick tires, how do you like them?
Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

those tires are bliss if you hack the lugs and trim the foams. once they are broke in they perform amazing.
stickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Nice summit! gotta get it back running whenever you get back to work. we will have to have a summit bash session.
swezy207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

just ordered my set of mudslinger the other day cant wait for them. did you just cut a star pattern in the foam ?
bdth9447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Yes I did.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

ya those slingers are great.. I have not cut my lugs yet but after a month or so they are starting to soften up not much but starting.. have not trimmed my small lugs yet.. for those people getting them thinking they need a special beadlock... they fit fine on the stock summit rims
Zrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #20

Nice wheels there !!! Slingers are great for the summit
knuckleheadz is offline   Reply With Quote

4 Trucks Trailing and having Fun - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailing the K5 Blazer bodean Scale Videos! 1 02-23-2012 06:39 PM
trailing in the bush daddyduck Scale Videos! 0 01-28-2012 08:11 PM
Trailing arms chip cross General Scale Talk 3 10-01-2011 07:09 AM
Fun Run with a couple trucks 801RYAN Scale Videos! 5 12-29-2010 11:10 AM
trailing and muddin daddyduck Scale Videos! 0 05-19-2010 10:12 PM