RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-crawlers/)
-   -   DeWalt Motor - Dispelling the Myth, but Fixing the Problem (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-crawlers/410834-dewalt-motor-dispelling-myth-but-fixing-problem.html)

monsterz 11-01-2012 07:33 PM

DeWalt Motor - Dispelling the Myth, but Fixing the Problem

I've read right here on this forum (and others..) that the 14.4v DeWalt motor has a bearing supported armature. Well, it doesn't.

I dug into mine after getting tired of a screetching sound I could only eliminate by spraying a little WD-40 into the back of my motor. A little later, it would start screetching again though. Thinking it was just a bad motor, I was surprised when a couple weekends ago, my brother's DeWalt powered Summit was making the same sound. It was time to find the problem.

After removingthe brushes and prying off the end cap, I was surprised to see that the back of the armature is supported by a bronze bushing, not a bearing. And yup, it had a sloppy fit on the armature. Luckily, it measures 8mm x 5mm x 5mm. So I replaced it with two 8mm x 5mm x 2.5mm bearings, and problem solved. The motor is now silent, and turns very smoothly. If you don't have a local hobby store with bearings, you can order Traxxas part # TRA5114 and get a package of two bearings that will work.

Hopefully this helps anyone with the same screetching DeWalt motor problem.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2..._Bushing-1.jpg

stickys 11-02-2012 07:45 PM

Re: DeWalt Motor - Dispelling the Myth, but Fixing the Problem

I wondered

OllllO Fanatic 11-04-2012 03:29 AM

Sticky this one some where

Mgoetz 11-04-2012 01:32 PM

Ya know, WD40 is not a lubricant................

KBrog 11-04-2012 02:34 PM

MAN! I can take those bushings and cut em down a little and use them for my XR10. "thumbsup"

OllllO Fanatic 11-04-2012 06:03 PM

WD-40 works ok for getting rusted bolts and nuts off of vehicles, but there are definitely far better products, and I would not call it a lubricant, makes things squeaky, like car doors. Its more of a clean crap out of a joint or hinge spray. Better to use a silicone spray or grease for lubricant.

monsterz 11-04-2012 07:07 PM

I know WD-40 is not a permanent lubricant. However, no lubricant will solve the issues associated with a sloppy bushing. I even tried packing the end with synthetic grease, and it didn't solve the problem any longer than WD-40 did.

whiplash 11-18-2012 06:29 AM

Ive been using silicone spray from CowRC on all my RCs for a while now and it works awesomely on bearings and bushings!

thundaar 12-11-2012 12:48 PM

wd-40 is not a lubricant at all, it's a water displacement (hince wd...) agent. it is used to dry metals without rusting them, or helping to remove small amounts of rust. but it will actually cause more harm than good trying to use it as a lubricant.

monsterz 12-11-2012 05:17 PM

Not sure how this turned into a wd-40 debate, but it most certainly is a lubricant. Why do you think it works for breaking loose rusty bolts? I do agree that it's a poor choice for a long term lubricant, however. You might check out their website...

monsterz 12-11-2012 05:19 PM

It's funny this thread came up today, as I was just talking to my brother and how his DeWalt lunched the bearing on the output side of the motor. So it most definately does have a bearing supported armature on the output side.

bro460 12-31-2012 05:41 PM

VERY good thread, thank you for this tip. I have a Dewalt 14.4 in mine and although it isn't skreeeeching yet (I use oil) it will be on my upgrade list of things to do. Once again thank you :)

JokersWild 12-31-2012 05:54 PM

:roll: Ive said this many times before...... the motor is just a larger version of every other silver can motor..... no bearings

good find on the bearing.... still a cheap motor. "thumbsup"

brasso and quality lube soaked into bushing is what we always have used on vintage trans am motors.

SnarkyMcSnarkson 02-02-2013 08:27 PM

How long do the DeWalt motors last before destroying the bushing?

monsterz 02-05-2013 08:10 PM

It will depend on useage and how much battery you're putting through it. I think it has similar durability to the stock motor, but it does seem to have slightly better performance.

chbronco 03-27-2013 12:29 PM

How did you open the can to get the bearings in ?

monsterz 03-30-2013 07:58 AM

Pull the brushes out, then slowly pry it off with a screwdriver. It's just pressed on.