Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Grandson Not Into Crawling, Likes to Bash with my Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Grandson Not Into Crawling, Likes to Bash with my Summit

I am loving the used Summit I bought recently. It already had some excellent upgrades on it, but my grandson isn't into crawling, so he runs it at speed and gives it hell. He's 9 and it's all about speed and jumping. I guess he's a born basher. Thankfully, he doesn't know that I have the EVX-2 dialed back to half speed, so it's limiting the damage.

So far, the only thing that broke on the truck was the right rear stock toe link which bent at the threaded end next to the wheel and pulled the threads out of the stock plastic rod end. I replaced the toe links with the Traxxas aluminum links at all corners and bought several extra of the rod ends. They can sacrifice themselves all they want at a few cents each and 5-minutes to replace.

My yard has taken a far larger toll than the truck. So far, my grandson has run over and obliterated two sprinkler shrub risers and five of my Malibu light fixtures. They are a total loss. I wonder if I can get some titanium light fixture upgrades from Malibu?

I've decided that I'm gonna keep the Summit for myself since I enjoy it's two speed capabilities and locking diffs. My property has some excellent crawling and hill climbing spots where I can use those features.

I will get something different for my grandson to bash with. I'm quite tempted to get him a used e-Revo since it shares so many parts with the Summit which I am now quite familiar with. I just don't know if my landscaping can take the beating! If I go that route, I will probably make sure it's an older brushed rig 'cuz a 9-year old who doesn't race sure as heck doesn't need a 40+ mph rig, especially when he has two smaller sisters who move fast enough that I can't always keep an eye on them.

One downside to the e-Revo is the cost to purchase and upgrade. I've considered picking up a used Stampede 4X4 XL5 for the lower cost and lower speed. He doesn't do big air (yet), so I think the Pede is up to it with a few tweaks.

The problem with that is my grandson is clearly drawn to the larger rigs. I have an Axial Ridgecrest which I've fixed up to be a decent rock racer. He won't even go near it. Therefore, if I don't get an e-Revo, I will probably try to get a 1/8 scale basher. This Monday, Hobby People has a DHK Maximus on a 1-day sale for $249. For that price, it's "tempting", but I just don't think I can bring myself to buy a one-source rig with one source for parts.

I know this is a crawler forum, but I'm sure most of you share more than one RC passion (addiction) and have even gone through a similar experience with kids and grandkids. I'm open to your advice on e-Revo vs Stampede 4x4 for the kid. And, just out of curiosity, has anyone personally experienced the DHK Maximus? At $249, I'm still tempted.

Whatever I get, I want it to be 4wd due to mostly dirt, grass, hills and rocks around my house. In addition, we live close to the beach and a 4wd rig will be better in the sand.

Thanks! Your feedback is appreciated, as always!

Last edited by MailManX; 02-16-2014 at 01:40 PM.
MailManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Grandson Not Into Crawling, Likes to Bash with my Summit

I've had a couple stampede 4x4s and beat them to hell and back. They come back looking for more. Minor upgrades huge aftermarket. If is as to own just one truck that's what it would be
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levesque87 View Post
I've had a couple stampede 4x4s and beat them to hell and back. They come back looking for more. Minor upgrades huge aftermarket. If is as to own just one truck that's what it would be
I hear stories like this a lot and videos on YouTube seem to support it. I need to have my grandson see a Stampede 4X4 in person to make sure he's OK with the size. Even if I get one for a steal, it's not a steal if he won't use it. I need to get him away from my Summit!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

You could also try a slash 4x4 or 2wd I have a slash 4x4 and it will take a lot and come back for more I also love to jump my trucks lol
1santaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1santaever View Post
You could also try a slash 4x4 or 2wd I have a slash 4x4 and it will take a lot and come back for more I also love to jump my trucks lol
Thanks! I'm a fan of the Slash, but my grandson likes the Monster truck look, so he would appreciate the Stampede. I hate to say it, but I think maybe the brushless Stampede 4X4 would be the wise choice. For 9, the kid is a good driver. I think he'd get tired of the XL5 in time. If I get a VXL, I can always dial it back for a while. When he's used to it, I can dial it back up instead of buying another truck.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:57 AM   #6

Stampede 4x4 brushed edition, dialed back, or full speed.
Winx6T9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

just read some reviews on that DHK. that looks to be one bullet proof and well equipped RC.. I think i would chose that one over the stampede
Zrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrock View Post
just read some reviews on that DHK. that looks to be one bullet proof and well equipped RC.. I think i would chose that one over the stampede
There aren't a lot of reviews yet on the DHK Maximus, but most seem positive. It has a lot of aluminum parts, but reviewers are saying it's pretty low quality alloy. All of the screws that go into plastic are self-tapping. Some reviewers even say that the screws into aluminum are self-tapping, but I can't imagine that. If that's the case, I'd steer clear since it's cutting way too many corners.

I think I'll go to a Hobby People on Monday since there's one close to my job so I can look at the rig and ask some questions about how it's built and what aftermarket parts they have. Like I stated earlier, I'm leery of getting a truck with parts only sold by Hobby People. Who knows if ST Racing or other decent aftermarket companies will ever make parts for it?

Since the weekend is sadly almost over, I'll be able to post back tomorrow evening with my thoughts on what I saw in the store on Monday.

It will be an interesting decision for me. I'm drawn to the Stampede for it's proven toughness and huge aftermarket support. On the flip side, I know that my grandson wants a 1/8th scale which is the size of the DHK Maximus.

Last edited by MailManX; 02-17-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailManX View Post
I'll post back tomorrow evening with my thoughts on what I saw in the store on Monday.
Preliminary update:

Today at lunchtime, I made a quick trip over to the Hobby People in Lawndale, CA. That’s very near El Segundo where I’ve had a temporary assignment for the past few months. They had just sold the last in-store DHK Maximus that was at the $249 price. They had other RTR Maximus rigs in the store, but those were selling for $379. The only difference was that those included 2 batteries and a charger. Well heck, I don’t want their cheap batteries and charger anyway! I have my own.

The manager who was helping me said more of the cheaper versions were at the warehouse and I could have a rain-check on the price (today is the last day of the sale). He said they could have one in the store as early as tomorrow, but Wednesday for sure. They didn’t require any money down or other obligation, so I had them order one.

Sadly, I wasn’t able to see one in the store since none were on display. The manager was very helpful and probably would have opened a box for me, but I didn’t have time during my lunch break.

Before I left, I asked about spare parts availability. He showed me several racks of spare parts in stock at the store and said anything they did not have could be obtained quickly, either at the store or via the internet. I asked if any of the parts are available as upgrades. He said DHK/HP only sells stock parts, same as on the vehicle. The last question I asked was about the self-tapping screws and whether the screws common to aluminum were also self-tapping. He admitted to not knowing the answer, but could not imagine why they would be.

I typically never buy stuff from Hobby People and I certainly would NEVER buy one of these at over $400, but at $249, I think it’s worth a risk. You only live once, so I’m gonna be a guinea pig and buy the one that comes in on rain check. I’ll look it over really well before using it the first time. I’ll remove a few screws from aluminum parts and see what’s up with those. I’ll get some good close-up photos. If I think the Maximus looks like total crap, I’ll return it before using it.

More reports to follow in a day or two.

Last edited by MailManX; 02-17-2014 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Fix the font
Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailManX View Post
More reports to follow in a day or two.
Or not...

I misunderstood the manager at the Hobby People. I thought they got a shipment every day. Turns out they only get a shipment every two weeks on Tuesday only, so since the Maximus didn't make it to the store yesterday, I will have to wait two more weeks. It was an in-store only sale, so I can't use the "rain check" for an online purchase.

You know, it's probably just as well. I was hesitant right from the start to buy a rig with such little support. It looks very cool and shows well in video on YouTube, but when things break (and you know they will), I can only use standard replacement parts and ONLY from Hobby People. I think this order delay has caused me to come to my senses and look at another vehicle.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I tend to be OCD when it comes to researching ANYTHING. Whether it's buying a house, a car, or just a toy. It has served me well over the years, but it also frustrates me because I have such a hard time pulling the trigger. Even when a good deal is staring me in the face, I have a tendency to want to do "just a little more research - just to make sure!"

And so it goes with this search for a rig for my son. It's a given that I want him driving something besides my Summit. I've become quite possessive of that. And I'm sure he'd be very happy with a Stampede 4x4. However, I'm shopping for him like I would for myself - with total OCD overkill. Instead of the Stampede 4x4, I'm now starting to consider the Slash 4x4 because of its longer and wider wheelbase for stability. I could put MT tires on it, cut out the fenders (or use a smaller body) and he'd have a really nice bashing rig that isn't as twitchy as the Stampede.

Then someone suggested an OFNA LX2E. At first blush, it seemed like a whole different category of rig. However, it's 4x4, it's durable, it's stable, it's fast, it has great aftermarket support, it's 1/8 scale, and it's actually AFFORDABLE! Now I'm really tempted to get the 80-percent roller and add some decent electronics and some bigger tires for my grandson's bashing pleasure.

Once again, I apologize for discussing this bashing stuff on a crawler forum, but y'all have been very patient with me and are great with your advice! I'm open to whatever you've got to say!
Old 02-21-2014, 12:45 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I finally pulled trigger. Twice!

First, I ordered a new Stampede 4x4 XL-5 for my grandson. I decided against the Slash 4X4 for various reasons.

After searching long and hard on ebay for a good price on a used Stampede 4x4, I decided to place an order from Tower Hobbies using their President's Day coupon for $36 off $300. The truck was $299.99, so I ordered another trinket to put the bill over $300 and got the truck for $267, free shipping and no tax.

I'll let my grandson beat on that truck for a while so he doesn't torture my Summit (and my yard fixtures). I'll upgrade things on the Stampede as they break. When my grandson finally wears out the original Titan motor, I'll upgrade the esc and motor to brushless at that time. By then, he'll be a better driver.

Then, by a fluke, I also bought the DHK Maximus. Yesterday, I drove to Hobby People which is only 4 miles from where I work just to buy a packet of rod ends for my Summit. When I walked in, they recognized me and said they had just received the "rain check" Maximus that wasn't supposed to come in for two more weeks. The warehouse shipped it to them via UPS instead of waiting for the biweekly truck delivery. For only $249, I figured "What the heck!" and I bought it. The Maximus is too much rig for the kid, so I will keep it for myself. It's considerably faster than my Summit in high gear, so I'll use the Maximus as my basher and save the Summit from that indignity.

Upon returning to my hotel with the Maximus, I went over it very carefully. I took notes and lots of pictures. There were a few negatives, but for only $249, I decided it was worth a risk, so I decided not to return the Maximus to the store.

This special deal on the Maximus wasn't supposed to come with batteries or a charger, but it did. The charger is a throw-away wall trickle charger. The batteries are nothing special, either, but at least they are LiPo instead of NiMh. They are DKH branded 2S 3200Mah 20C. I'll just give them to my grandson. For a quick test, I charged them up and put the Maximus through about 15 minutes of running in the hotel parking lot. It was a combo of speed runs, handling tests and a bit of easy bashing (I drove over parking lot bump stops at about half speed and got some air). Nothing broke yet. There are a few bugs to work out, but that's normal with any new rig. I took more notes and more pictures.

I will tabulate the data over the next few days, then post a full review of the DKH Maximus. I haven't decided yet where I'll post that review since the Maximus is anything but a crawler. Maybe I'll post it on a bashing forum and just provide a link here. Any suggestions on that?

Oh, as for the Ofna LX2E, I'm intrigued enough that I'm still considering that, too. The 80% rig is such a good price it's hard to ignore! Man cannot have too many toys, or tools, or tools for toys, etc.

Last edited by MailManX; 02-21-2014 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Just Because

Grandson Not Into Crawling, Likes to Bash with my Summit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bash crawling nitrooxide Videos! 0 03-11-2013 02:38 PM
Summit VXL - The Final Winter Bash! | Sponsored by CowRC! The Cow Non Crawler RC's 4 03-19-2012 06:23 AM
CC-01 for grandson highroller Tamiya XC/CC01 9 03-11-2010 09:24 PM
Winter Monster Bash 8 Jan 9-10 (crawling on 10th) Pedeanaut Pennsylvania 0 10-29-2009 10:31 AM
backyard bash crawling & Flexin Pics MudBoGGinMaxX General Crawlers 4 07-27-2004 08:53 PM