Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Blasphemy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019, 11:43 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Blasphemy!

Had my Telluride out for the first real use since I took those dam pictures above in 2016, ran great and in some situations outwheeled my friend's box stock Ridgecrest, but I found that out it needs a new battery...............

I'd like to go to the dam again, just won't be able to go anytime soon, it's a wee bit under water right now and it looks like near constant rain for the last couple and next week.

Last edited by BJoe; 05-19-2019 at 05:04 PM.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Geez, could you find any larger pics?
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Geez, could you find any larger pics?

I'm not sure what the hell is going on here, don't have this issue on the Traxxas or other forums, just here and I've tried downloading smaller pics.

Edit, went Gold Star and put the pics on here that way instead!

Last edited by BJoe; 05-19-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

The friend I went crawling/bashing with just posted this on his Instagram. Not much, just a little water crossing with my Telluride and his Ridgecrest.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxq3USghmnq/
Old 05-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Watched that clip on Instagram. Cool to see some old relics in action. Those are two of my favorite legacy RC’s. I have a painted Ridgecrest body in a box, but need to rebuild the AX10 chassis I bought for it. Also have a shoebox of upgrades for a Telluride I found on eBay last December. I was actually going to build one from scratch, having bought all the parts I needed off ebay, but couldn’t pass up a lightly used, unmodified, stock model, either.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:27 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, we had a great time that night as well as this past Friday night with are more....go fast stuff and a couple former coworkers of his, watch Dave's account that footage......there was some mayhem We were talking about going to a different spot to go crawling this upcoming friday. I'll bet if he just gets a good set of tires and a better servo, that truck would work much better.

If you want to get your Telluride and Ridgecrest set up, I would start with the grippiest "all terrain" type SCT tires on the Telluride you can find, which were the M3 Trencher SCTs that it still has and soft SCT foams from HPI (not sure if those can still be had), leave the shocks alone unless you want to try the Maxx X-Long shafts in the front shocks like I did. For the Ridgecrest, I'd go over who's running what on here and how their rigs are set up, not familiar with what can be done there.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

Better tires, and mounted on metal beadlocks, for Dave’s Ridgecrest!

I have a set of Proline Super Swamper SCT tires and beadlocks for my Telluride, and a slew of other upgrades, but who knows if & when I’ll get around to it. I’ve mostly just ran my stock Telly like a slow basher, around my driveway and yard. I did take it to state-managed land where there were some dirt/gravel roads and trails, but the terrain was a little overwhelming for its size. Needed a Summit!

I’ve bookmarked loads of threads for the Ridgecrest, in case I need additional tips, but, since I’m a mostly recreational RC’er, I’ll probably not be overly focused on performance. My AX10 is going to need quite a bit of work to get rolling again, but, when it does, it should be good, and I plan on making a special trip up to a crawl spot, well-known for hosting comps, to get some good pics and video footage.

Last edited by johnnyluv; 05-27-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Add images
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:43 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Dave and I were talking about taking the crawlers out again next Friday after work, only to a different spot we've both crawled at before, just not together. Going to try and take my Ascender, so long as it works, I found the battery, "battery in" lead on the ESC (they all but left the motor leads alone?!), and Servo leads all chewed on by some mice that have taken up residence here. I think we need a cat and/or a some sort of Terrier..............
Old 05-31-2019, 10:01 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Did some more crawling with Dave tonight, thrashed the Telluride some and and my SCX10 more than I have since 2014!

Here's my Instagram, where these photos are going to get posted as well as future R/C Bashing sessions and other bits of things of hobbies.
https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en
Old 01-01-2021, 06:54 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Well, dug it back out recently and cycled the 9.6v pack in it several times since it wasn’t in the best shape last time I ran it. Probably going to need to buy a new battery for it, it may also get a Holmes Hobbies 21t 550 motor in the near future too

Old 04-16-2021, 07:19 AM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Well, dug it back out recently and cycled the 9.6v pack in it several times since it wasn’t in the best shape last time I ran it. Probably going to need to buy a new battery for it, it may also get a Holmes Hobbies 21t 550 motor in the near future too

Did you get the HH 21T motor for it?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:19 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Did you get the HH 21T motor for it?

I did, but haven’t put it in yet, I’m still waiting on an order from A-Main that had solder and flux to show up to put it in this as well as the one for my Losi Night Crawler and SCX10.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Had the Telluride out today, got some much needed exercise too.

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/bjoehandley/a/98f1dfc4-876c-4f6e-a5b6-7b1433dd54d7/p/ee9eec6f-239f-44cc-9445-a65484c65700][/URLl]
Old 04-16-2021, 08:17 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Cool pics. I've always been intrigued by the Telluride. I've got About half the parts to build a Telly from scratch. I would have to invest probably $200-250 To complete it? Or I could just swap parts on my stampede 4X4. Do you think it's redundant to build one even though I have a TRX4 sport, and a Wroncho?

Old 04-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Looks good. I haven't driven my Telluride in a long time...but I haven't driven any of my other RCs in a long time either. Too busy with work, homeownership, and parenting. My kid is a toddler now and he's continuously doing things that require supervision. When he was an infant, parents with toddlers would comment to me about how active he was. I didn't realize the implications of those comments at the time. That level of activity, combined with his attitude of "I wan' dangewous!", means when he's awake he requires constant shepherding to avoid intentionally running into traffic.

This thread reminds me of the good old days, when I actually drove my RCs for fun instead of just giving them a quick test to make sure they work and then moving on to the next project. On the other hand, "the good old days" in my case involved years-long mental illness that I hadn't yet figured out how to treat effectively, but my RCs were a bright spot.

- - -

MaX-D, the Telluride is a unique drive. It's almost impossible to topple over due to its low center of gravity. Of course its ground clearance isn't the best and it's definitely not scale, but it's nonetheless intriguing to see an independent-suspension "truck" doing the same job as all the solid-axle crawlers out there. It flies in the face of the conventional wisdom that solid axles are indisputably the best way to crawl.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 04-16-2021 at 08:35 PM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:18 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Looks good. I haven't driven my Telluride in a long time...but I haven't driven any of my other RCs in a long time either. Too busy with work, homeownership, and parenting. My kid is a toddler now and he's continuously doing things that require supervision. When he was an infant, parents with toddlers would comment to me about how active he was. I didn't realize the implications of those comments at the time. That level of activity, combined with his attitude of "I wan' dangewous!", means when he's awake he requires constant shepherding to avoid intentionally running into traffic.

This thread reminds me of the good old days, when I actually drove my RCs for fun instead of just giving them a quick test to make sure they work and then moving on to the next project. On the other hand, "the good old days" in my case involved years-long mental illness that I hadn't yet figured out how to treat effectively, but my RCs were a bright spot.

- - -

MaX-D, the Telluride is a unique drive. It's almost impossible to topple over due to its low center of gravity. Of course its ground clearance isn't the best and it's definitely not scale, but it's nonetheless intriguing to see an independent-suspension "truck" doing the same job as all the solid-axle crawlers out there. It flies in the face of the conventional wisdom that solid axles are indisputably the best way to crawl.
I love to fly in the face of conventional wisdom. Go against the grain if you will. I've got a set of shortcourse Pitbull Rockbeast tires in alien compound just begging for a project like this.

That's it! I'm doing it! Build thread to commence shortly.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:21 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Cool pics. I've always been intrigued by the Telluride. I've got About half the parts to build a Telly from scratch. I would have to invest probably $200-250 To complete it? Or I could just swap parts on my stampede 4X4. Do you think it's redundant to build one even though I have a TRX4 sport, and a Wroncho?

If you have or can get your hands on a brushed Stampede 4x4 for cheap, that’s what I would use as a base to build another then add the Telluride suspension, body, mounts, and SCT rolling stock of choice. Reason for the brushed vs brushless is that the brushed is geared shorter at the rings and pinions out of the box vs the brushless and gives you a better final drive to work with, then you just need spools (HotRacing had them, bought some but haven’t installed them yet) or an egg of Silly Putty (which is still working fine and why the spools aren’t installed) to lock those diffs. I also recommend that if you’re using using the standard Traxxas “Long” style front shocks up front,’get the “X-Long” shafts from the E/T-Maxx and put them in the “Long” bodies as you don’t lose any any off the compressed length and you gain droop. I also just used the rear shocks as they came other than the RPM spring cups and rod ends, the springs are even the factory pieces!

As for redundancy, keep in mind, I have a SCX10 that was converted from a AX10 Scorpion and a Wheely King that was flipped and stretched using Savage, T/E-Maxx, and Revo parts and both were built prior to the Telluride coming to market back in 2013 and have even built a Tamiya MF-01x Jimny along these lines, but was able to add the portals from a Monster Beetle TR to it and make that work just as good as the Telluride does, so far as I can tell at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post

- - -

Between my change of career, being busy with a sick parent and my current work, the Covid hitting shortly after she passed, followed by me getting a nasty case of MRSA a couple months ago, I haven’t done much crawling in years and most of my R/Cs have been parked. Don’t have any kids either, though I do have an 18 m/o niece that is getting that way for her parents. My Sister caught her playing with her surviving Grandma’s lap top and wearing her readers after disappearing on them, then when she realized she had an audience, she just looked at my Sister and smiled at her.

Quote:
I love to fly in the face of conventional wisdom. Go against the grain if you will. I've got a set of shortcourse Pitbull Rockbeast tires in alien compound just begging for a project like this.

That's it! I'm doing it! Build thread to commence shortly.

What Fyrstormer says about it being a unique experience is right, in some areas of the park I was at, it will pull lines that my SCX10 will and out crawl my friend’s box stock Ridgecrest RTR as well. One thing that in my opinion that does help is that with it being a SCT based platform, the chassis it shares with the Stampede 4x4 makes for one big skid plate, kinda like Jeep does with it’s Trailhawk package on the crossovers, just with even more area to skid on! The reason I call mine Blasphemy is that these things got huge amounts of hate for just being a rehash or a rehash and then not being a “real” crawler or trail truck since it’s SCT based with an indie suspension all around instead of solid axles. Making it into a trail rig was kinda blasphemous, so the name seemed appropriate and two middle fingers way, way up (as in ) to the platform’s naysayers. It also spawned that Tamiya Jimny build I started a year later that recently spiraled into it’s current state of construction too

I’ll keep an eye out for that thread, can’t wait to see your spin on the concept
Old 04-16-2021, 10:37 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Let’s see if my IG link for it works here.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNvsQeUj...d=mc9d1xo2smbs
Old 04-17-2021, 02:05 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

This makes me miss my Telluride, a buddy wanted to get into short course trucks but didnt want to spend a bunch so I basically chassis swapped it into a brushed slash 4x4 for him. I actually almost have enough spare parts to build one....hmmm

hope you dont mind me dropping a old pic in. This was mine with axial exo front wheels\tires all around for bit more scale look and proline JK body\bumpers.I did the 100% silicone ear plugs stuffed in diffs for bit of limited slip style traction. Bedlined the flares\roof\door handles etc. Body got messed up by cheap ebay window stencil set leaving a film on them, then I tried various sticker removers and fogged it.

350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:44 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Don’t mind at all! Proline beadlocks I have on mine are probably about the same offset as those Axial wheels and help the appearance since they didn’t stick out like the standard offset wheels did. RPM now sells suspension parts that these share with the Rally car version of the Slash and would consider those if I was building a second or some how broke the parts on mine.

Blasphemy! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project "Blasphemy" CrawlnSlow Traxxas Crawlers 16 10-10-2005 11:44 PM