What's your favorite upgrade so far?
gtp_jmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Went with the Telluride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp_jmp View Post
This thread is starting to cost me a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I feel your pain. If I didn't see a few.great threads on the Telluride I probably wouldn't of bought one or if I did I wouldn't of got it setup nearly as good to crawl.

Thanks to all the others that posted up Telluride threads. They really are a great help when your not going with one of the main stream crawlers
Lol, it even worse when you work for a hobby shop and know what can be swapped with what from other vehicles. When I had the chance to see one out of the box, my gears started turning as what could be done to make it crawl, then combine that with threads or YouTube videos by guys who have actually crawled them (vs making them the R/C equivalent of the Middle Eastern 1000hp Nissan Patrols) , my wallet started making these strange flushing toilet like sounds.

Quote:
What's your favorite upgrade so far?
Silly Putty in Brushed 4xPede diffs and a 21t motor are probably the best places to start, then the softest all terrain or trail truck style SCT tires with the softest SCT foams you can find. after those, getting a clear body and painting it up more as I would prefer than the mini truckish paint jobs Traxxas seems to prefer.............especially the seemingly Eddy Van Halen inspired factory red/white/black paint mine came with.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #23
wyd
Rock Crawler

Favorite upgrade was the Hot Racing front locker and the Racers Edge diff.lock putty. Just made it crawler better for less than 15 bucks. I really like my new GTR shocks. Really nice over the rough stuff.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:10 PM   #24
wyd
Rock Crawler

Today I had my Telluride on a real trail crawler course setup at a small RC club setup. It was an amazing place and next time I go I will get pictures. I crawler for 30 minutes straight. Motor did get hot this time but nothing a fan won't cure so no big deal. Overall the Telluride turned a lot of heads of how well it crawled and I was super pleased with how it performed.

Main change will be making some softer inserts for my tires instead of the molded ones. My Trencher X's did great but a better insert will just make them that much better. Add a fan. Otherwise I'm going to just run it and enjoy how much fun this truck is. Only thing I want which I'm not sure I can get is more steering throw but if that is the only thing I can live with that as I don't compete and never will.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Look at the HPI SCT foams I'm running, they are way softer than the molded Proline or the OEM Traxxas foams.

These

TowerHobbies.com | HPI Racing Short Course Inner Foam Soft (2)

Last edited by BJoe; 05-04-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #26
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Look at the HPI SCT foams I'm running, they are way softer than the molded Proline or the OEM Traxxas foams.

These

TowerHobbies.com | HPI Racing Short Course Inner Foam Soft (2)
I will check those out. I'm also going to look at some old inventory at the shop that we don't have on display from a few years back but I know we have inserts but not 100% sure what they are but maybe we have something soft.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #27
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Lol, it even worse when you work for a hobby shop and know what can be swapped with what from other vehicles. When I had the chance to see one out of the box, my gears started turning as what could be done to make it crawl, then combine that with threads or YouTube videos by guys who have actually crawled them (vs making them the R/C equivalent of the Middle Eastern 1000hp Nissan Patrols) , my wallet started making these strange flushing toilet like sounds.

Silly Putty in Brushed 4xPede diffs and a 21t motor are probably the best places to start, then the softest all terrain or trail truck style SCT tires with the softest SCT foams you can find. after those, getting a clear body and painting it up more as I would prefer than the mini truckish paint jobs Traxxas seems to prefer.............especially the seemingly Eddy Van Halen inspired factory red/white/black paint mine came with.
Yes working at a Hobbyshop can cause problems.

So far I love the motor combo with the pede diffs and silly putty rear, locker front. The shocks I used because I had them but I could of done the same with the stock ones but just not look as nice or have threaded bodies for easy ride height adjustments on the trails.

Yes I new painted lid is in the works. I have a new clear stock body and a Proline Comanche I'm going to order but who knows what else I might try. Was looking at the Spawn body from Axial but its up in the air.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

I had thought about the Spawn body until I realized it is dovetailed, would be a good time to see if swapping the rear arms around would work though

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I will check those out. I'm also going to look at some old inventory at the shop that we don't have on display from a few years back but I know we have inserts but not 100% sure what they are but maybe we have something soft.
If you have any handy, look at the out foam of the Proline 2 stage foam inserts, I'm kinda curious if those are close in size and shape to the SCT foams. I tried emailing ProLine last summer, but the responsed didn't give me anything remotely useable and I didn't feel like ordering a set to find out that they wouldn't work........almost didn't buy the Trenchers after that too.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #29

Cool. I burnt the 12t and 21t doing some winter bashing. Front/back diffs locked but I hadn't put the brushed stampede diffs yet or a 56spur from the jato. Now the motor stays way cooler. Especially with a 9t pinion. Ill soon have to post my blazerclod. Btw...I really think we're due for a telluride specific section
Old 05-04-2015, 10:48 PM   #30
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I had thought about the Spawn body until I realized it is dovetailed, would be a good time to see if swapping the rear arms around would work though

If you have any handy, look at the out foam of the Proline 2 stage foam inserts, I'm kinda curious if those are close in size and shape to the SCT foams. I tried emailing ProLine last summer, but the responsed didn't give me anything remotely useable and I didn't feel like ordering a set to find out that they wouldn't work........almost didn't buy the Trenchers after that too.
We might actually have some of those. I know the other local hobby shop has some Proline memory foam in stock and sin e they are so big my thought is I can cut them in half and have 4 donuts. I can then trim them as needed to fit. I will check on that as well. I hope to have time to stop at the shop I work at and check out what we have laying around if not I will be in Wed to look for sure
Old 05-04-2015, 11:04 PM   #31
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Cool. I burnt the 12t and 21t doing some winter bashing. Front/back diffs locked but I hadn't put the brushed stampede diffs yet or a 56spur from the jato. Now the motor stays way cooler. Especially with a 9t pinion. Ill soon have to post my blazerclod. Btw...I really think we're due for a telluride specific section
I'm going to add a heat sink fan to my motor to cool it down. I know when I raced touring cars the fans really kept the motors a lot cooler. ESC temp I'm not too worried about with my Castle as they take heat well plus I been racing for them for over 10 years so any problems I just send it back and a fresh one is sent back. Lol
Old 05-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #32
wyd
Rock Crawler

Few more upgrades to the Telluride.
1/8th Ofna soft buggy inserts (work and fell great in my Trencher X's) Much softer feel now vs the stock milder insert and better feel when crawling. They come in a pack of 6 donutes for less that 10 bucks.

New light setup. Look great but I want them a little brighter so instead of running off my receiver voltage I will look into using a 9v battery or something like that. Still look great and easy to install.

New fan from Integy. Normally I don't buy their stuff but we had them in stock at the shop so I hooked it up. Blows an amazingly amount of air right over one of the motor vents. I know in touring cars and oval racing these little fans really work great. Good for 20 plus degree drop in temp. In crawling could be more especially if I'm sitting still for a minute or two whiel another member is trying the same obstacle I'm going to try.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #33
wyd
Rock Crawler

I have a few new things for my Telluride when are next order comes in. I have some STRC steering knuckles and a new Futaba 3PL so I don't have to use my 4PL racing radio. I now will have a full race radio and crawler radio. Cost me less than 100 bucks plus it uses all the same receivers that my 4PL does so will work out great. Plus if I would drop it its a much cheaper radio. I also have another piece coming in but I will wait til I get a picture of it first and post.

Going to try to tape off a new body while I'm at the shop for painting. I have a clear stock one for now so since it does fit well I decided to just go with that for now.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #34

Looking good! Don't quit modding it up. You try and buy all the stuff, leave a review and I'll follow suite lol it must be hard to work at a hobby shop and still leave with a pay..
Old 05-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #35
wyd
Rock Crawler

Today I put my new STRC front steering knuckles on. Looks great and fit like stock. Going to thread lock the screws that hold them in just so they can't loosen up when bouncing around the trails. My new Futaba 3PL showed up so I set that up as well. A great inexpensive radio. My new Pro line beadlocks, Ofna inserts and STRC headlocks showed up as well. Just need the J Concepts to come off backorder.

More I run my Telluride I really like that stock motor setup. Like the extra speed for horsing around but still crawls well. The fan is doing its job so I'm good to go
Old 05-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #36
wyd
Rock Crawler

Ran my Telluride this Sunday while it was hot out and the new fan setup really helps cool the motor so it was worth the money. The new softer tire setup also worked better than with the hard molded inserts. I added an Outwear to cover up my chairs and keep the big pieces of debris out of my truck. Well it worked great and still lets in air but keeps.the dirt out. Easy to remove and put back on. Glad I bought it as it worked great. The small hole is for you antenna. I have no antenna on my Futaba receiver but even with that little hole I didn't have problems with debris getting. If its a problem I can simply add a small piece of tape or small decal.

Last edited by wyd; 05-11-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #37
wyd
Rock Crawler

After running it for about an hour total at the crawler place I go the only real thing that keeps this from crawler as good or better than the SCX10 to me is ride height in the center of the chassis. With the shaft drive you can only get so much ground clearance under the chassis. I lack ride height but otherwise my fun factor of have crawling abilities plus some extra speed so I can jump off stuff with that is a foot or two high with no problems. The GTR shocks work great and soak up the high jumps coming off rocks but amazingly enough even with the stock motor it crawls well going super slow with extra wheel speed if I need it. Heat is taken care of with the fan. Still going to put the 35 turn in Wed evening when I'm at the shop and give it a try. If it slows it too much I will got back to the stock motor.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #38
wyd
Rock Crawler

Tried the 35 turn motor tonight with a 14 tooth pinion and stock spur gear. It crawled pretty good but it is much slower than I wanted and for me not nearly as fun to run. If all I did was rock crawling I wouldn't of built a Telluride. Since I do trails and some rocks I like the stock 12 turn motor with my fan on it. Way more fun overall for me as I like having the combination or good power and plenty of extra speed for wheel spin. Again for me just more fun overall.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

That's why I like the 21t motors, good torque and wheel speed with the ability to go 3s with the same motor.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:41 PM   #40
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That's why I like the 21t motors, good torque and wheel speed with the ability to go 3s with the same motor.
I will have to check one of those out sometime.

Went with the Telluride. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My take on a Telluride Trail Truck John82601 Traxxas Crawlers 60 02-02-2016 11:03 AM
Telluride? mwe-maxxowner Traxxas Crawlers 34 05-03-2015 06:53 AM
New traxxas telluride 4x4 crawlernut General Crawlers 31 12-15-2013 03:47 PM
Traxxas telluride azwheelman Videos! 18 10-03-2013 09:17 AM
Traxxas Telluride zjguy721 General Crawlers 4 09-06-2013 12:07 PM