Notices

Thread: Rock Racer Telluride?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Rock Racer Telluride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
Have you seen the YetiX by CBERCFAB, it's a kit that bolts the front of a 4x4 slash to the yeti chassis, this seems like it would be right down your alley!
yes i have but ive already spent to much money on my yeti ;)
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

some small updates. i havent really made anything yet but its progress.

you kind of get the idea where im going. i have to make a dashboard and seat and some body panels. i might need larger tires too...
Old 08-25-2015, 05:58 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

a little more progress if any one is interested. i didnt like the smaller tires so i took my stock yeti tires and bought a axial wheel adapter kit and mounted up those. more ground clearance but it seems a little wide.

i then finished the body templates. iam trying to get a rock buggy look but the cage is limiting what i do. what ya think?

does it need a roof? or maybe a spare tire?

Last edited by twisted; 08-25-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

so i did a little more work on rock race pede tonight. i put the inner body on and realized with the cage it would be a pia to get the battery in as i would have to take the cage off first. so i decided to make a battery door in the inner body.

for now i just have it hinged with zip ties but there will be more holding it on later.

i tested it with the cage on and i can get the battery in and out. now its time for a driver. i bought a wild willy figure from tamiya (i always liked him). the plan is to have him sit on the inner body against the back side of a seat. i had a little issue with the height so i trimmed willy's butt off. i plan on making a dash and adding the steering wheel and shifter later. right now its all about fitment.

heres a pic of willy just mocked up. his arms and height were all wrong but atleast you can see him with the body panels.

thats it for now.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

You could bolt in a slash 4x4 hcg chassis + driveshaft, might be a bit more proportional to the width.
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

yea it is a little wide but its more of a fun truck. i have the yeti for serious u4 action. we will see where this goes tho!
Old 08-29-2015, 01:45 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Willy has a seat:

Old 09-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

found a spare body and cut it up for he heck of it. what ya think? go this way or the body panel way in above photos? i would add some lexan sides to this version. the actual body didnt cover the full cage.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

then maybe this version??

Old 09-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

i dont even know if anyone is reading this but ill keep it going.

i finally got around to transferring the paper templates over to lexan. next step is to paint them. i wish i was further ahead but racing my yeti and updating that as well as getting ready for indoor racing has made things a little crazy in the work shop. but stay tuned, more will come.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

body panels are done and painted.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

time to work on the diffs. for rock racing i wanted a limited slip for both the diff and the front needed to slip more then the back. so i used some old diff lock from ofna for the front diff. this stuff is very thick. thicker then any diff fluid ive seen. its nasty stuff and very sticky. prepare yourself for a mess.

here i have everything ready for the diff lock fluid. thats it in the white bottle. you can tip that bottle upside down,its not going anywhere.

here you can see how thick it is... it doesnt poor (you have to spoon it out) and takes a while to settle.

with the front diff finished i moved onto the rear. i wanted a little more "lock" but still wanted it to slip some. i have heard and have had friends use silly putty just for this. i couldnt find any but did find this "poster tack". feels almost the same consistency of silly putty so ill give it a go.

just hold it in your hand and let the heat from your body soften it up. then knead it and push it in the diff.

now with both the diffs buttoned up its time to move onto gearing. i wont know if the diffs are tuned correctly till i test it out. with the larger tires thoguh im gonna gear down and iam also going to install a new clutch as the one in the truck is whooped.

till then lmk what ya think.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #33
RCC Addict

I love the truck! I've been following this build. Good job. It looks like a fun truck to drive, the kind you can just beat on, crawl with........an all around off road truck. It looks more fun than my Wraith!!!
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
I love the truck! I've been following this build. Good job. It looks like a fun truck to drive, the kind you can just beat on, crawl with........an all around off road truck. It looks more fun than my Wraith!!!

thanks, thats kind of what i was going for.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

so just about to finish up the pede project but i knew the stock clutch was smoked so i decided to change it.heres the old one:

also i decided to go down on the pinion since this truck will be used for rock racing/bashing and the tires are slightly larger then what i was using and the truck is heavier.

almost ready to paint "Willy".

and now its time for the maiden voyage. more of a test run then anything. running with out the driver figure.

check back to see how the test run went and more pics!
Old 09-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Can't wait! What motor are you running in this truck?
Old 09-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Can't wait! What motor are you running in this truck?
as of now the stock motor (vxl bbl system) is in it.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

so the maiden voyage didnt go very well. pulled the screws right through the wheel.

so i went back to my trenchers to get a run in. im not keen on this look.

so what do i think? well the vellenion motor finally crapped out on me (its old) so it stuttered/cogged a lot and finally just didnt run. im thinking of going to a brushed 12t motor (old vxl can handle brushed also,right?) like the one found in the telluride. any suggestions would be appreciated.

also the suspension needs love. with the weight of this truck (the steel cage and the steel mips) the stock springs werent really doing anything. i cant believe how much weight those mips add. so i need to re-think some things on this rig.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

i still havent bought new parts as im not sure what direction ill be going in. however i did mount up my sc super swampers and i started to paint the driver. i wanted to get an idea how it looked with these tires.

sorry for the quality of the pics. you would think these cameras would get better on the new phones...

Old 09-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Super Swampers are my favorite tire. Great grip and they just look cool. Have you thought about trying a 1.9 sized wheel with 1.9 Super Swamper XL's? They're bigger than short course tires, but smaller than 2.2's. They look good on a Telluride.

Pro-Line Interco Super Swamper Tire 1197 for Rock Crawling

Rock Racer Telluride? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rock racer Drail Formula Offroad 11 03-06-2012 04:18 PM
My rock racer. adamargue HPI Wheely King 12 11-21-2011 08:22 PM
Rock Racer to Rock Crawler Conversion Orgnoi1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 03-06-2010 10:07 PM
Rock Crawler vs Rock Racer? KROGOTH General Crawlers 5 09-11-2009 10:46 AM