Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Valheru's 1/16 Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Valheru's 1/16 Summit

This was my first hobby grade RC that I bought back in 2011 and it started its life as a Scott Douglas AmsOil edition, 1/16 Slash 4x4 brushed RTR.

Not long after I bought the Slash I soon remedied to the lack of bashing capability by performing the conversion to a e-Revo VXL, and installed some Pro-Line 1.9 Flat Iron mounted to some Axial plastic bead lock wheels.

It stayed in the e-Revo VXL configuration until I bought an Axial 1/10 Wraith which got me hooked on crawling.

From that point on, the e-Revo underwent another conversion, this time to a Summit format, which included a 540 35T brushed power plant, AE-2 ESC, Castle 10A BEC and a Ford Raptor body.

Linked is a video of my 4 year old having a blast last summer at one of our local crawling spots. If he didn't do this 15 times, he didn't do it once... And nothing broke!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154197...7683461117935/

I recently picked-up some RC4WD X2SS compound 1.9 Flashpoint tires mounted on RC4WD Raceline Monster aluminium bead locks wheels with 4oz of lead in the front wheels. I can't wait to try these out on the rocks.

Also, I got a replacement body for the Summit; its a Pro-Line Rat-Rod which is intended for the 1/16 e-Revo. The plan is to paint it in a similar scheme as the iconic 1932 Bugatti Type 50 sport coupe.

So far I've made some paint samples of the faux finish I plan on applying on the light areas of the Type 50 paint scheme.

I am using the 3 same Tamiya paints thru-out my tests, but I am varying the order and quantity of applications. The colours are: black (PS-5), silver (PS-12) and metallic purple (PS-18 ).

I really like the purple-sliver-black one.

All I've done so far is apply some Bob Dively liquid mask and painted the grill with Spaz Stix mirror chrome over black detailing.

D
valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Valheru's 1/16 Summit

This morning I got the faux finish and the black base colour done on my rat-rod / Bugatti Type 50 body.

Once the paint has a chance to cure, I'll work on the soft top and a few scale accessories; I am looking at making an interior and probably some exterior details.

There won't be a lot of scale stuff on this RC as it is mainly used by my kids and this shell will be its 3rd since 2011...

D
Old 05-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

In between working on scale details for my other build, the armoured Slickrock 2-1-Charlie, I finished the rat-rod body for my 1:16 Summit including a bunch of scale details.

I started with an antenna that I made out of .027" MIG wire which I topped with a "racoon" tail that is made out of actual ground hog fur that I sourced from my local fishing supply store in the fly tying department.

Since this is a rat-rod, every self respecting one should have a set of dice hanging from the rear view mirror. These I made with balsam wood, paint and some fishing line.

Next on the list is a dashboard made of micro-plywood with a styrene backing that has multiple coats of high gloss varnish, a custom decal that I designed/printed and a re-purposed stock Wraith steering wheel. The complete package replicates, as much as I could, the actual dash from the 1932 Bugatti Type 50, on which this body is themed after.

And the final assembly. Getting clear photos thru the Lexan windows is far from obvious...

Thank you for looking.

D
Old 05-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Excellent work!
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Excellent work!
Thank you

D
Old 05-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks killer. I'm prepping an inherited 1/16 traxxas rally for the kiddo. Wondering if your diffs are locked, and what has your kid managed to break thus far? What's it weigh?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Nice, job and looks great! I've beat on my Mini Slash brushless with 2S and nothing has broken...somehow lol. Still need to check both my ring/pinions to see if they need shimmed.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Valheru's 1/16 Summit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas Summit/Slayer (Summit Lt) Trail Truck SummitOner Traxxas Crawlers 21 09-20-2021 11:38 AM
Summit made it to the summit Haulingram82 Maine 4 04-26-2016 06:34 PM
my Summit LT.... Slummit...Slayer/Summit:) Chainsaw10 Traxxas Crawlers 65 05-07-2015 11:29 PM