Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Ridding the Trx4 of locking diffs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #21

Default Re: Ridding the Trx4 of locking diffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
For me mine is strictly a comp rig and the micro servos are just too big of a failure point. It's hard to do well with an open diff because of a servo failure, trust me
I am new at this side of the rc hobby....but I don't understand how the servo would be a failure point....I have flown small planes for a good many years and have not had a servo strip or die....even on a bad landing. Is the surface that much harder on the servos.....I know metal gear micros are available, but with some planes every gram matters....I would not think it would be as big a deal on a car. I would also think the cable thing would not be an issue if you take care of the car as well.

Not picking just trying to understand.

From my noob point of view it seems you are taking away a key selling point to this car....I also thought you could unlock and you could make tighter turns....and thought some of the events it costs you to back up and make another turn in....if you could unlock you would have that tighter turning.
cherokee_140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2018, 10:26 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Im looking at locking mine up as it will further simplifly the rig and less moving parts can be a good thing. also every options a person choose's to do is different for what the driver needs and wants. terrain and type of driving will be different for everyone.

for myself once i lock/spool it will feel like every other crawler out there locked up. but my diff servos have started to twicth and im not going to replace them even though i like the option take your line carefully and should be no issue... well maybe challenging.

Traxxas makes spool, LEM makes a spool as well.
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #23

I might have to get this spool and try it out. I would def like to get rid of the micro servos and cables. Clean the rig right up. Less moving parts is a good thing. Still like the idea though of having a locker. Anyone have an install video on the spool? I have yet to see how it goes in.
RC_Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:29 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Propaganda View Post
I might have to get this spool and try it out. I would def like to get rid of the micro servos and cables. Clean the rig right up. Less moving parts is a good thing. Still like the idea though of having a locker. Anyone have an install video on the spool? I have yet to see how it goes in.
It's the same process as replacing a gear set. Take off the diff cover and pull the shafts then the diff cup and gear falls out. Replace with spool, remove fork/cable, put plug in axle and reverse process. Then remove servo and cable.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Had 3 servo failures before I switched to spools. Yes it’s a cool feature but only when it works. Mine is a full comp rig so a failure during an event isn’t worth the risk vs reward for me.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

I have the Traxxas spools on back order, but shimmed the rear diff during the build of my TRX4 kit to get by until they arrive.

Pics and description of the shimming in this thread '66 K-10 Build Thread
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #27

Glitchy servos are usually not the fault of the servo itself...usually....and having 3 of these little guys fail...that is really insane, are the traxxas servos that poor of quality.....still building my kit and now you have me thinking of replacing the little guys with some hitec or other quality servo. If we are getting that much servo chatter perhaps an out of the gate radio/rec upgrade should be done.

These little servos don't seem like they do much and there would not be much load on them....and in building the diffs and the 2speed tranny there is just no that much load on them and it seems to be a metal on metal engagement for the gears....I would have liked a metal paw, but price is something....I bet someone makes an upgrade part if there is really so much load on them it is shelling servos....I would think the paw would grenade first.

I still really don't understand all these failures....unless the stock electronics are total garbage.

Someone please explain this to me while I still have my car in the build phase.
cherokee_140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #28
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee_140 View Post
Glitchy servos are usually not the fault of the servo itself...usually....and having 3 of these little guys fail...that is really insane, are the traxxas servos that poor of quality.....still building my kit and now you have me thinking of replacing the little guys with some hitec or other quality servo. If we are getting that much servo chatter perhaps an out of the gate radio/rec upgrade should be done.

These little servos don't seem like they do much and there would not be much load on them....and in building the diffs and the 2speed tranny there is just no that much load on them and it seems to be a metal on metal engagement for the gears....I would have liked a metal paw, but price is something....I bet someone makes an upgrade part if there is really so much load on them it is shelling servos....I would think the paw would grenade first.

I still really don't understand all these failures....unless the stock electronics are total garbage.

Someone please explain this to me while I still have my car in the build phase.
It's pretty simple. The more links in a chain the more likely is is to fail. The more parts in a system the more likely is to fail.

For the front diff to stay locked. The servo, gears, horn, board, wires, radio, cable, connector, linkage, pawl, mounts, lever. All have to work 100%. Where as with a spool it ends there and the spool has to work that's it. Rather than worry about 12 components possibly failing I and a few others prefer to only risk 1. When you have to dnf a major event due to some trivial tiny component failing you'll understand how irritating it can be.

It also removes user error. For example if I was to pass the radio to a 5 year old kid. I don't have to worry about him bumping the buttons all day and getting stuck not having fun.

Mini servos in general are so small and vastly weak. It might not seem like much force. But, generally they fail as they are straining and holding position the entire time the truck is operating. The Traxxas servos are super common to fail as well. It's bad enough that savox even prints on their packaging "Fits trx4". I have had so many brands of mini servos that don't last I just equate it the size of the internal parts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Dittohead made a shim to lock it internally and posted pictures in TRX4 forum. JB Weld inside diffcup couldn't hurt.

X2

X2, clean all gears, diffcup, etc super well, properly mixed JB Weld and never had a problem for years. Liberally coat every part inside diffcup, one piece at a time, add more JB Weld all around, install next part, and so on until it's fully assembled. JB Weld should slightly squish out of diffcup during assembly and you will have to do careful cleanup before it hardens.

Hi. Do you have a link to the trx4 forum you posted photos too. Would love to see how so I can lock my diffs. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Anyone see this?
https://m.traxxas.com/products/landing/trx-4-sport/

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Shawns303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawns303 View Post
Anyone see this?
https://m.traxxas.com/products/landing/trx-4-sport/

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Ok, that's pretty sick looking!
K5Weaksauce is offline   Reply With Quote

Ridding the Trx4 of locking diffs. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Locking Diffs greenlad09 Tamiya XC/CC01 3 11-08-2011 04:49 PM
Locking diffs Project Dad HPI Wheely King 26 04-19-2007 03:09 PM
Locking diffs Norcal crawler Newbie General 10 01-09-2007 06:18 PM